Speculation: Canucks next GM: The Hunt is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
There will 100% be more rough times. Almost the entire roster returns next year. The whole crap blueline (all of them) does.

~$12m for 8 roster spots with motte heading to ufa and Boeser needing a $7.5m QO.

It’s going to be rough for a couple more years yet.

Under better coaching, the hope is that some of the fringe shit players like Pearson, Poolman and Dickinson excel into role players and develop some trade value around the league. The latter 2 I feel are a lost cause but there's always a stupid GM looking to overpay for a veteran guy like Pearson.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Argh...it was a good 12 hours of celebrating.

Please stay far, far away from Bergevin.

Lol, my return from self imposed exile:

abuelo-simpson.gif

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Can't wait till HF Canucks run the next GM out of town and still not blame ownership.

Prediction : Franky will announce that the new hires will have full control of everything, then by the summer, Franky can't stop himself from inserting himself into the hockey operations, and new hires quit.

You’re right. HFCanucks really likes the owners.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Thing about Bergevin I like is that he was pretty proactive in moving players he feels he can get an upgrade on.

Problem is he often did not target the right players. Is that a pro-scouting issue? I don’t know. If he comes here I sure hope so. McPhee was also a mixed bag in Washington before he went on to build a dominate Vegas team from scratch. I would argue that McPhee and Bergevin share that they are proactive.

I think it all comes down to pro-scouting when a new GM comes in. Same pro-scouts, same problems.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Argh...it was a good 12 hours of celebrating.

Please stay far, far away from Bergevin.

-Brutal draft record
-Stupid unnecessary minor league deals involving picks as well
-Trading a stud dman for Drouin
-f***ing around Markov and Radulov
-Trading for Merrill, Gustafsson, Staal (who was clearly done)
-Trading for Andrew Shaw

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. He made far too many moves for "expired" players.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Don't expect anything shortly. At the very least they'll wait until the new year just to talk to Chayka. Every day, there will be rumours about how the Canucks are "extremely interested in Mellanby", "taking a long look at Tallon", "have had talks with Bergevin", or "kicked the tires with McPhee". It'll be a drip feed. Then suddenly Patrick Roy will be the President & GM with absolutely no real notice.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Yeah. I don’t expect anything to happen quickly. It’ll likely be by end of season
Really? I think a new GM will be brought in really quickly. The Canucks right now can’t afford to mess around with a important trade deadline coming up. If there is a rift in the locker room right now it’s best not to wait for that to fester any longer. Even if there isn’t, the players might not appreciate that nothing will be done to turn around the ship in the short term.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thing about Bergevin I like is that he was pretty proactive in moving players he feels he can get an upgrade on.

Problem is he often did not target the right players. Is that a pro-scouting issue? I don’t know. If he comes here I sure hope so. McPhee was also a mixed bag in Washington before he went on to build a dominate Vegas team from scratch. I would argue that McPhee and Bergevin share that they are proactive.

I think it all comes down to pro-scouting when a new GM comes in. Same pro-scouts, same problems.

?

Bergevin was a bad GM in most ways but what kept him afloat was his knack for winning trades that went against consensus opinion.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
?

Bergevin was a bad GM in most ways but what kept him afloat was his knack for winning trades that went against consensus opinion.
Mostly focusing on the Sergechev, Dvorak, and Subban trade (Yes I still think that Subban trade was bad).
But I guess you are right, there have been some good deals in there as well. I guess I didn’t really look through his record that hard when I made that post.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I would be 1000% onboard with George McPhee in a presidential role. His time with VGK would be incredibly valuable for the Canucks. Not only does he have experience building a competititive on-ice culture, but he has also experienced building an entire business behind that culture. The Canucks are in the stone age when it comes to marketing, the experience at the games, and their general positioning of the club in the Vancouver market. Someone who would be able to bring the entire operations of the franchise to the modern era would do wonders for the entire business and we the fans would greatly benefit from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad