Speculation: Canucks next GM: The Hunt is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
in 2019 (when he was in town for the Sedins retirement ceremony) on an interview with tsn 1040 (Not available anymores since their site is taken down) he mentioned that there is no way he will work for this team anymore.

In a tweet in last year or so , Francesco said that there are no talks about Bringing Gillis back and he has no intentions to do so.

Last year in the most latest interview with Mike Gillis. on June 7

Alex Blair "Will you consider working for the Canucks in Vancouver again"
Gillis "umm I wouldn't discount anything. Umm Alex you know for me the process is everything."

George McPhee. At age 63 going from a Presient to a GM is a downgrade and I doubt he take a lateral move to Vancouver even as the president. He is a no go.

Rumors of Scott Mellanby who worked under gillis as a Advisor. Was the Assistant GM of the Habs for the past 7 years. Apparently he didn't actually get fired from the Habs staff he just stepped down.

I don't know I do like the fact we went after an experienced coach this time instead of hiring new. (Desjardin, Green).

no to Rutherford. He's too old.

Pls take our time finding the right guy this time please.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I doubt we'll see a hire till the offseason if the Aquillinis really want to do their due diligence with the front office hunt.

Most teams are not going to allow another team to talk to their AGMs or executives mid season.

While it's not written up anywhere I believe most teams and their staff have a. Unwritten understanding that if it is an interview for a promotion(agm->gm) they usually will allow it

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Chayka is interesting. Did he burn bridges with the whole Scouting-gate thing? He was once the golden boy, and I'm not sure if that's still the case after how he exited Arizona.

He got caught cheating and also wanted to jump ship to be what I believe was referred to/suspected as some kind of ‘analytical overseer’ for all the pro sports teams under Harris Blitzer Sports and Entertainment(Devils, 76ers, Crystal Palace).

Reactions: Vector

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
in 2019 (when he was in town for the Sedins retirement ceremony) on an interview with tsn 1040 (Not available anymores since their site is taken down) he mentioned that there is no way he will work for this team anymore.

In a tweet in last year or so , Francesco said that there are no talks about Bringing Gillis back and he has no intentions to do so.

Last year in the most latest interview with Mike Gillis. on June 7

Alex Blair "Will you consider working for the Canucks in Vancouver again"
Gillis "umm I wouldn't discount anything. Umm Alex you know for me the process is everything."

George McPhee. At age 63 going from a Presient to a GM is a downgrade and I doubt he take a lateral move to Vancouver even as the president. He is a no go.

Rumors of Scott Mellanby who worked under gillis as a Advisor. Was the Assistant GM of the Habs for the past 7 years. Apparently he didn't actually get fired from the Habs staff he just stepped down.

I don't know I do like the fact we went after an experienced coach this time instead of hiring new. (Desjardin, Green).

no to Rutherford. He's too old.

Pls take our time finding the right guy this time please.

Yeah, no to Rutherford… he’s just another Chia/Benning who had the good luck to not GM any high profile Canadian teams and also be gifted a Pens position that was very hard to mess up… although it could be argued he didn’t really do them any favours.

I think we should hire @Melvin ‘s Potato GM

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
So glad to be rid of Benning and Co....but I think there is still a strong likelihood for more rough times ahead. We have an owner who likely still believes in what Benning has built, he hired a coach who isn't signed long term, so kiss any idea of tanking out the window...I'm looking forward to hearing today's media availability with Francesco and I hope to hear some contrition and flexibility towards "taking a step backwards" in order to take two forward. If he continues to believe in this group and is planning on giving new staff those same marching orders to try to win now, then we're in for more dark times ahead. The foundation Benning built this team on is faulty and needs to be rebuilt...the idea that you can just change the coach and install someone to continue Benning's path is a scary thought.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
So glad to be rid of Benning and Co....but I think there is still a strong likelihood for more rough times ahead. We have an owner who likely still believes in what Benning has built, he hired a coach who isn't signed long term, so kiss any idea of tanking out the window...I'm looking forward to hearing today's media availability with Francesco and I hope to hear some contrition and flexibility towards "taking a step backwards" in order to take two forward. If he continues to believe in this group and is planning on giving new staff those same marching orders to try to win now, then we're in for more dark times ahead. The foundation Benning built this team on is faulty and needs to be rebuilt...the idea that you can just change the coach and install someone to continue Benning's path is a scary thought.
I think they want to see what we actually have with our players. Most will say our record is far worse then the skill we have (exception our D is trash). With that said, let’s just get the next POHO/ GM. Hopefully they are the right fit and change the culture around here (and get full autonomy to do what they are hired for).

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
There will 100% be more rough times. Almost the entire roster returns next year. The whole crap blueline (all of them) does.

~$12m for 8 roster spots with motte heading to ufa and Boeser needing a $7.5m QO.

It’s going to be rough for a couple more years yet.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
There will 100% be more rough times. Almost the entire roster returns next year. The whole crap blueline (all of them) does.

~$12m for 8 roster spots with motte heading to ufa and Boeser needing a $7.5m QO.

It’s going to be rough for a couple more years yet.
Hoping the new GM doesn’t have the same love affair with Myers.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The year's a write off but players will be playing for their jobs next year. I wouldn’t be surprised if Boudreau has a lot of input as to who fits and who doesn’t.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think they want to see what we actually have with our players. Most will say our record is far worse then the skill we have (exception our D is trash). With that said, let’s just get the next POHO/ GM. Hopefully they are the right fit and change the culture around here (and get full autonomy to do what they are hired for).

I'm sure they all think they can turn the team around, at least to some degree, and they probably can...but making a shit team mediocre shouldn't be the mandate going forward.

Reactions: KingofSurrey

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I'm sure they all think they can turn the team around, at least to some degree, and they probably can...but making a shit team mediocre shouldn't be the mandate going forward.
Trust me I don’t disagree with you. I am just praying the new POHO/ GM get full autonomy to make the right decisions.

Reactions: Canucker

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Can't wait till HF Canucks run the next GM out of town and still not blame ownership.

Prediction : Franky will announce that the new hires will have full control of everything, then by the summer, Franky can't stop himself from inserting himself into the hockey operations, and new hires quit.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The season's a write off but players will be playing for their jobs the rest of the year. I think Boudreau with all of his experience will likely have a lot of input as to who fits and who doesn’t which is a good thing.

If we can get a competent GM/President team in here I’m fairly confident that they can turn this around fairly quickly. The D is a mess and Benning was never able to bring in any competent D that fit and even when he managed to bring in solid ones like Nate Schmidt the lack of a system here exposed those players. That said, there are solid D available every year and a better coached team should mean that the holes can be plugged over a couple of years. It will probably mean trading a forward for help on D but there are a lot of good pieces here for a new management team to work with. Building back up the prospect pool to some semblance of respectability will also be key.

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Trust me I don’t disagree with you. I am just praying the new POHO/ GM get full autonomy to make the right decisions.

Thats the hope for sure...but I'm hoping our media holds Aquilini's feet to the fire about what kind of control a new GM/POHO will expect to have and if a rebuild needs to happen, will they have the ability to make that call.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
From a purely cost-benefit standpoint, flat out tanking this season, without the implicit goal of ousting Benning, is a net negative.

It would continue to erode the potential trade value of our players. That trade value is essential for a re-tool/re-build effort. Plus, who even is the consensus 1OA in this draft? Doesn't look like we're going to get a McDavid/Crosby or even a Matthews/Eichel/McKinnon type player from this year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The key is getting someone experienced in here as head of hockey ops imo. There needs to be someone who can demand autonomy from ownership as that’s been a big part of the problem.
Also, I wonder if the rest of the Aquilini family will demand that Francesco stay out of meddling given the financial cost to the franchise that he’s caused and the need to rebuild credibility.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
From a purely cost-benefit standpoint, flat out tanking this season, without the implicit goal of ousting Benning, is a net negative.

It would continue to erode the potential trade value of our players. That trade value is essential for a re-tool/re-build effort. Plus, who even is the consensus 1OA in this draft? Doesn't look like we're going to get a McDavid/Crosby or even a Matthews/Eichel/McKinnon type player from this year.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that we all jump on the tank train right now...I'm just saying that anyone who thinks that's a possibility it going to be sorely mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad