Speculation: Canucks next GM: The Hunt is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Good job Aquaman, Canuck Nation was calling for this for over a year and you finally delivered.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I had started on a list a little while ago but it got me depressed. Here's how far I got.

Veterans:
Dale Tallon
Doug Disebrough
Peter Chiarelli
Jim Rutherford
Dean Lombardi

AGMs:
Brent Flahr (Flyers)
Stacey Roest (Lightning)
Lawrence Gilman (Maple Leafs)

Other Hockey Ops:
Mike Futa (Hurricanes consultant)
Mike Gillis (NHLPA)
Scott Melanby (free agent)
Marc Bergevin (free agent)

As you can see I didn't get very far and didn't do a lot of research. If I can free up time at work, I may do a comprehensive list with articles and note candidates expertise, experience, successes, failures, etc.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'd love to see Gilman graduate to a full GM. The question is, would he want to come back to an org that fired him and Gillis after missing the playoffs, then gave Benning a far longer leash despite failing catastrophically multiple times?
He would take the job in a heartbeat...I'd say that theres 0% chance he is hired as Canucks GM.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
While I am very inclined to go full on OBC for the coaching job (experience matters when dealing with a young core)..I take a different view with the GM..Other than McPhee on the OBC, there's a pretty shallow pool.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Chayka is interesting. Did he burn bridges with the whole Scouting-gate thing? He was once the golden boy, and I'm not sure if that's still the case after how he exited Arizona.

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
I wouldn't mind giving Gillis another shot

Not sure I'd like to go down the first time GM route again though

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
Quoting from the "ding dong the witch is dead" party thread:

What an absolutely crucial and long overdue step for this franchise.

Need to see who they hire for GM/POHO and what the vision is before they can start building back any semblance of trust—continuing to go all in to win in the next couple of years is a non starter to me. There needs to be a massive overhaul of this roster and personnel, not just the front office.

I echo this. I have ZERO trust in Francesco Aqualini. So...I will hold off on any celebrations until I see what happens with the new hires, and with changes to the roster.

I'm 90% certain that Frankie will look for someone that tells him they can be "a contender as soon as next year". I'm sure he will likely hang up the phone if he hears the word "retool". This owner has proven - time and time again - that he's an utter dolt and impatient in all the wrong ways.

I firmly believe Aquaman is a serial meddler, and is the single biggest issue with this team. I have no trust at all that he'll hire a POHO that will have the authority and sense to tell Frank to take a hike and stop sticking his ugly mug where it doesn't belong.

I also believe this whole "Sedin in management" fiasco was a grave mistake. They've cracked open a bizarre Pandora's Box there, and it's going to poison the negotiations with incoming people.

"Yes, yes, we want you to be the new captain of this ship! But...I should also mention: we've also already promised the twins - and the fans! - that they will assume the mantle of leadership as soon as they're ready. Sounds good doesn't it? Want the job?"

What a freaking mess.

_____

I sound pessimistic on a happy day, I know.

But I've been cutoff by most of my hockey-loving buddies because of the absolute toxic venom I have been spitting over this regime for the last 7 years.

So...yeah. I'm happy that this step's been taken - even if seven years too late.

But this is me now after being stuck in this horrible wilderness:

intro-1616860433.jpg

And this is me surveying the legendary damage they have done to my beloved team:

_6dbf3782-7a3a-11e5-bc61-5d96ac0074a6.jpg

I know it feels good that Benning is gonzo.

But until I see what happens next - who these new hires are - I'm reserving *any* celebration.

There are still a million ways that Frank can keep this misery alive...stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad