Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz
Wtf? Are you just listing out names for the sake of it? Demitra, Wellwood, Garrison, Glass, Hordi,Oreskovich filled their role fine. A bunch of names there are AHL fillers and injury callups.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think you just listed players you didn't like or know nothing about...

Steve Bernier - was this a miss? maybe it was bad to retain from the offersheet?
Pavol Demitra - Also how was this a miss? He was still a top 6 maybe even top line player for us
Keith Ballard - This is one of two I thought of so I would agree
Kyle Wellwood - How is this a miss?
Darcy Hordichuk - He is just a fourth liner what were you expecting? We even traded him for a positive return...
Jason Krog - ? He was signed as AHL depth
Tanner Glass ? He was a fourth liner?
Micheal Grabner - He traded a guy who wasn't going to make our team and wasn't going to and didn't pass through waivers
Mathieu Schneider - Would give you this one
Brad Lukowich - Was literally taken as a cap dump
Ryan Parent - ?
Peter Schaefer ?
Victor Oreskovich ?
David Booth Was actually excellent and traded for nothing. It wasn't until injury when he started to suck
Andrew Ebbett ?
Marc-Andre Gragnani ?
Mike Duco ?
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz

I stopped looking cause you just listed mostly a bunch of guys signed to be AHL depth or 4th liners... like seriously a waste of my time to reply.

You stopped looking because you realized I had a point.

Bernier should never have been matched. Demitra washed out to Europe after a 20 goal first season, was signed because we missed out on other guys. Ballard, MG got gamed on the injury. Wellwood had weight issues and avoided checks, leading to goals against. Glass and Hordi weren't even 4th line quality. Krog was an AHL all star who didn't translate. Peter Schaefer was godawful and only made a quarter season. Parent was one of the worst Dmen we iced in many years. Sestito was awful. Swing and a miss on Jensen and Schroeder. Dalpe was a reclamation project that didn't work out. Grabner made him look foolish.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Demitra? Ebbet? Garisson?

Alot of these names are nothing players that played as the teams 12th forward

Would love to make the equivalent jimbo list if you are going to include players like Hordichuk and Krog

Go ahead, I'm glad JB is gone. I just don't want Gillis back. His reign is looked back on with way too much nostalgia. He took a core built by another GM and failed to fill it out or stock the cupboard.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Bernier should never have been matched. Demitra washed out to Europe after a 20 goal first season, was signed because we missed out on other guys. Ballard, MG got gamed on the injury. Wellwood had weight issues and avoided checks, leading to goals against. Glass and Hordi weren't even 4th line quality. Krog was an AHL all star who didn't translate. Peter Schaefer was godawful and only made a quarter season. Parent was one of the worst Dmen we iced in many years. Sestito was awful. Swing and a miss on Jensen and Schroeder. Dalpe was a reclamation project that didn't work out. Grabner made him look foolish.

Hordichuk was a good 4th liner that was needed back when enforcers were in vogue. And if my memory was correct, he had decent speed.

Bernier match was a no brainer. The return would have been nothing and the contract was completely fine. That was nothing but a FU from Davidson for the Backes offer sheet.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Hordichuk was a good 4th liner that was needed back when enforcers were in vogue. And if my memory was correct, he had decent speed.

Bernier match was a no brainer. The return would have been nothing and the contract was completely fine. That was nothing but a FU from Davidson for the Backes offer sheet.

Bernier never lived up to that contract. He should have swallowed his pride and let him walk. Hordichuk could punch faces but was a liability as a 4th liner.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
If it were up to me, I'd hire Gilman as POHO and let him pick his GM, who would hopefully be someone like Eric Tulsky.

Gilman is experienced, smart, well-spoken, and has the diplomatic skills to manage upward and deal with the usual media suspects. I think he'd do a great job re-organizing hockey ops, providing the high level leadership and communications the team has been sorely lacking these past 8 years.

Regardless of who they hire, if FAQ continues to involve himself in hockey ops, the team is doomed to mediocrity.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Ryan Parent played 4 games for the Canucks…

Like your list is actual trash. You just listed guys signed for the AHL. Then through in good players for no reason.

Demitra was almost point per game….

You have no clue.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Pavol Demitra was a key component in unlocking Kesler's offensive potential.. for that alone he was worth his contract.

People are quick to forget.. if it weren't for some terrible luck running into a dynasty Chicago Blackhawks team, Vancouver could've likely made the finals in '09 'and '10 too. Especially the year with Sundin.. they were just beginning to fire on all cylinders. A real shame.

Realistically the only misfires you could blame Gillis for were the Ballard and Booth deals, and the mishandling of the goaltending situation.

I'd need a whole hell of a lot more than one paragraph to list the mistakes of Jim Benning.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Go ahead, I'm glad JB is gone. I just don't want Gillis back. His reign is looked back on with way too much nostalgia. He took a core built by another GM and failed to fill it out or stock the cupboard.
Surely we've learned from 8 years of Benning that the hard part isn't acquiring the "core". You just have to suck long enough and its inevitable you'll pick up a "core". Every team in the league has a "core", that's not rare or hard.

The hard part is having a full roster that is cap efficient and effective. Surrounding the "core" is the hard part.

And Gillis' biggest flaw was that he left the cupboards too stocked. This whole cupboards empty stuff is a meme, he hardly ever traded futures away and that was his problem - his love of the bargain bin and being too cheap to pay for quality when the team was peaking.

He wanted to follow the "red wings model" of contending for 20 years (turns out that was actually the "have Lidstrom" model) so he stubbornly stuck to digging in the bargain bin and holding on to futures for dear life. That was his biggest error and ironically he could learn a thing from Benning here. He needed to make an all in play when the team was at its peak. We didn't need Hodgson/Schroeder/Rodin/Jensen/Gaunce/Mallet/Shinkaruk etc, we needed win now pieces to stack those presidents trophy teams further. And we shouldn't have let Ehrhoff walk over 500k because of a BS internal cap. There comes a time when you need to pay full price for what you need and he wasn't willing to do it.

Gillis ran a cap efficient team, focused on the details around maximizing performance of the players, was excellent at finding good top 4 dmen for cheap, and stacked his teams with cheap depth. That's most of the hardest work for a GM trying to build a contender while ironically being very hard for the general public to understand. And he was a good manager/leader, his messaging was very meritocratic and he could verbalize how to build out high performance teams.

I think his flaws were that his trading was average, his pro scouting for forwards was average, he was too cheap when the team was a true blue legit contender, and he antagonized the media who felt that he (rightly) thought they were idiots.

He wouldn't be my first or second choice for GM but he'd probably be in the top 10 leaguewide if he came back again. A lot of the names floating around right now would be a lot worse.

Last edited:

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Ryan Parent played 4 games for the Canucks…

Like your list is actual trash. You just listed guys signed for the AHL. Then through in good players for no reason.

Demitra was almost point per game….

You have no clue.
Someone needs to do a list like this for a GM like Steve Yzerman. I think he needs this pointed out to him that you could literally compile a list like that for any GM over a similar time frame.

It's crazy. Sometimes you have to bring in AHLers or fringe guys. Sometimes 4th liners too! And 7th d-men. And middle 6 tweeners. And even guys who scored at a 60 point pace! (this is supposedly a bad thing). Shame.

Reactions: vanuck and racerjoe

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Steve Bernier
Pavol Demitra
Keith Ballard
Kyle Wellwood
Darcy Hordichuk
Jason Krog
Tanner Glass
Micheal Grabner
Mathieu Schneider
Brad Lukowich
Ryan Parent
Peter Schaefer
Victor Oreskovich
David Booth
Andrew Ebbett
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Mike Duco
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz​

I'm going to go through this full list because it's actually so ridiculous.

Guys who were actually good acquisitions :

Demitra - scored like 60 points/82 GP as a Canuck. Same thing as Vrbata who is considered a big win for Benning.
Bernier - solid young middle-6 player, you make that trade every time.
Wellwood - great value signing.
Glass - was a good cheap depth forward.
Booth - was playing very well until having his knee wrecked on a cheapshot.
Garrison - very good for two years, then traded for a #2 pick.

Guys who were perfectly OK short-term depth acquisitions :

Sulzer
Diaz
Oreskovich
Ebbett

Goons in an era where every team still carried goons :

Sestito
Hordichuk

Guy taken as a cap dump to get Ehrhoff:

Lukowich

Guys who were just acquired to be AHL depth and not on the NHL team :

Krog
Parent
Duco
Mancari
Bitz
Pinizzotto

Guys who were draft picks and don't belong on a pro scouting list :

Jensen
Schroeder
Corrado

Poor pro scouting moves ... that were also low-cost and short term and did little harm :

Schneider
Schaefer
Gragnani
Roy
Barker
Dalpe

One actually bad move that cost significant assets/cap space and hurt the club :

Ballard

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Steve Bernier
Pavol Demitra
Keith Ballard
Kyle Wellwood
Darcy Hordichuk
Jason Krog
Tanner Glass
Micheal Grabner
Mathieu Schneider
Brad Lukowich
Ryan Parent
Peter Schaefer
Victor Oreskovich
David Booth
Andrew Ebbett
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Mike Duco
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz

This list of GM candidates is certainly unique but I think we should stick with someone who has a reasonable amount of experience.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
damm a lot of names I want to forget.

Don't forget Paulsson, Sundin, Kassian, Lain, and I'm sure there are a few more names. Honestly a lot of those names never had protential too.

Although I will let Garrison, Roy and booth slide since they were good players till they came here

sundin was literally the reason the sedins went from point per game guys to art Ross winners. He was also he reason burrows and Kessler went from 3rd line plugs to offensive players. Edler and Bieksa also credited him for turning around a bunch of players.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm going to go through this full list because it's actually so ridiculous.

Guys who were actually good acquisitions :

Demitra - scored like 60 points/82 GP as a Canuck. Same thing as Vrbata who is considered a big win for Benning.
Bernier - solid young middle-6 player, you make that trade every time.
Wellwood - great value signing.
Glass - was a good cheap depth forward.
Booth - was playing very well until having his knee wrecked on a cheapshot.
Garrison - very good for two years, then traded for a #2 pick.

Guys who were perfectly OK short-term depth acquisitions :

Sulzer
Diaz
Oreskovich
Ebbett

Goons in an era where every team still carried goons :

Sestito
Hordichuk

Guy taken as a cap dump to get Ehrhoff:

Lukowich

Guys who were just acquired to be AHL depth and not on the NHL team :

Krog
Parent
Duco
Mancari
Bitz
Pinizzotto

Guys who were draft picks and don't belong on a pro scouting list :

Jensen
Schroeder
Corrado

Poor pro scouting moves ... that were also low-cost and short term and did little harm :

Schneider
Schaefer
Gragnani
Roy
Barker
Dalpe

One actually bad move that cost significant assets/cap space and hurt the club :

Ballard

It’s also weird that Sturm is not mentioned. One of the actual bad acquisitions but was quickly sent packing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would like Gillis, but the last thing I want is to read posts about Gillis for the next three months.
I don’t see as my chance FA rehires Gillis. I don’t think FA will get over the change in direction of the team that Gillis presented to him in 2012 when negotiating his extension to his 2013 desire to rebuild.

likash

Apr 17, 2019

You know nothing about hockey. You listed a lot of players for the AHL team that would only see 5-10mins of ice time case of multiple injuries.

Did Gillis gave 4 years contrct to 4th liners and 3-4 m/year? Did he finished at the bottom at the league almost every year while trying to compete? Do you really want to play this game. You will make yourself look like a clown. I don't think you want that. The fact that you are listing 2 enforcer who were paid around 1mil shows me that you have a clear agenda to attack Gillis.

If you want to talk about a GM, let's talk results, win %, player trophies, president trophies and the stanley cup final.
I'd like Gillis to come back now even more just for "fans" like you to cry every day and make fools of themselves when he transforms us in powerhouse team once again.I could see guys like you complain even then about the lack of Top 10 picks.

Last edited:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Gillis would be an amazing organization President choice.

I think his vision of that was leaked, is very similar to what I would want if I got infinite budget.

NHL is such an old boys club that the front office roles are so stagnant. There is no cap for front office and team staff. I wish a team would actually take it further and pay for top coaches to work as a team, even multiple previous head coaches, as long as they understand they work as a team.

Reactions: vanuck

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Gillis would be an amazing organization President choice.

I think his vision of that was leaked, is very similar to what I would want if I got infinite budget.

NHL is such an old boys club that the front office roles are so stagnant. There is no cap for front office and team staff. I wish a team would actually take it further and pay for top coaches to work as a team, even multiple previous head coaches, as long as they understand they work as a team.
I also think the president role suits him best. The GM should be young and smart to implement the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad