Speculation: Canucks next GM: The Hunt is on

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2006
I think you just listed players you didn't like or know nothing about...

Steve Bernier - was this a miss? maybe it was bad to retain from the offersheet?
Pavol Demitra - Also how was this a miss? He was still a top 6 maybe even top line player for us
Keith Ballard - This is one of two I thought of so I would agree
Kyle Wellwood - How is this a miss?
Darcy Hordichuk - He is just a fourth liner what were you expecting? We even traded him for a positive return...
Jason Krog - ? He was signed as AHL depth
Tanner Glass ? He was a fourth liner?
Micheal Grabner - He traded a guy who wasn't going to make our team and wasn't going to and didn't pass through waivers
Mathieu Schneider - Would give you this one
Brad Lukowich - Was literally taken as a cap dump
Ryan Parent - ?
Peter Schaefer ?
Victor Oreskovich ?
David Booth Was actually excellent and traded for nothing. It wasn't until injury when he started to suck
Andrew Ebbett ?
Marc-Andre Gragnani ?
Mike Duco ?
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz

I stopped looking cause you just listed mostly a bunch of guys signed to be AHL depth or 4th liners... like seriously a waste of my time to reply.
This is like criticizing Benning for Chad Billins and Cole Candella.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
If it's Rutherford I'm really sorry but I might just bow out of being a fan. We desperately need to get away from an old boy that has the same short term vision that all these failings clown GMs have.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Steve Bernier
Pavol Demitra
Keith Ballard
Kyle Wellwood
Darcy Hordichuk
Jason Krog
Tanner Glass
Micheal Grabner
Mathieu Schneider
Brad Lukowich
Ryan Parent
Peter Schaefer
Victor Oreskovich
David Booth
Andrew Ebbett
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Mike Duco
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz

You've already been torched by several posters but hard to resist - many of these players are a bad example of pro scouting when they are minor league player signings.
Most of the pros you listed actually played pretty well: Demitra, Wellwood, Hordichuk, and Glass were all solid role players.

There's really only a handful of good examples of pro scouting failures. I would argue all good GMs have a handful of misses as well. Either way bad list.

Reactions: vanuck and racerjoe

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Rutherford has made Benning-like bad trades. It’s one thing if he’s the POHO but I don’t want him pulling the trigger on trades. Give me a macfarland, Tulsky or Gilman please! I am all for experience but let’s get serious hear JR is over the moon and one of the last options I wish to see here.

All this talk that Rutherford could be cheaper… I want the right person not the cheapest for aqua’s cheque book.

Reactions: Paper Bag

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Rutherford is an awful pro scout and I want him as far from this organization as possible. Same with Tallon.

Bunch of dinosaurs in the OBC that are just bad at their jobs, other than the media pumping them up.

I demand a forward thinking, rational, critical thinking GM, not awful GM's that have destroyed their previous teams.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm going to go through this full list because it's actually so ridiculous.

Guys who were actually good acquisitions :

Demitra - scored like 60 points/82 GP as a Canuck. Same thing as Vrbata who is considered a big win for Benning.
Bernier - solid young middle-6 player, you make that trade every time.
Wellwood - great value signing.
Glass - was a good cheap depth forward.
Booth - was playing very well until having his knee wrecked on a cheapshot.
Garrison - very good for two years, then traded for a #2 pick.

Guys who were perfectly OK short-term depth acquisitions :

Sulzer
Diaz
Oreskovich
Ebbett

Goons in an era where every team still carried goons :

Sestito
Hordichuk

Guy taken as a cap dump to get Ehrhoff:

Lukowich

Guys who were just acquired to be AHL depth and not on the NHL team :

Krog
Parent
Duco
Mancari
Bitz
Pinizzotto

Guys who were draft picks and don't belong on a pro scouting list :

Jensen
Schroeder
Corrado

Poor pro scouting moves ... that were also low-cost and short term and did little harm :

Schneider
Schaefer
Gragnani
Roy
Barker
Dalpe

One actually bad move that cost significant assets/cap space and hurt the club :

Ballard
The dude who made that list has slurped hard on all Benning's moves and also been But Gillis and But drafting the whole time.

Is that list any different than (the Gillis list looks way better to me, cost less assets and less salary):

Sbisa (key piece for the best tradeable asset in org)
Dorsett (3rd rd pick plus massive inflated extension)
Clendening (Forsling)
Pedan (3rd rd pick)
Conacher
Baertschi (2nd rd pick - signed a 3 year $10m deal)
Goldobin
Pouliot (4th plus Pedan who they paid a 3rd for LOL)
Vey (2nd rd pick)
Leipsic
Kero
Gagner (had to be traded for someone they bought out)
Spooner (bought out)
Perron
Pope (ECHLer)
Cracknell
Skille
Molino
Megna
Chaput
Wiercoch
Burmistrov
Nilsson
Palmu
Bachman
Roussel ($12m)
Beagle ($12m)
Schaller
Prust (Kassian + 5th rd pick)
Sutter (Bonino + 2nd)
Granlund (recent 1st)
Gudbranson (recent 1st + 33rd overall)
Philip Larsen (4th)
Rafferty
Teves
Kielly
Fantenberg
Benn
Myers (5 years $30m)
Eriksson (6 years $36m at 31 years old)
Ferland (couldnt insure the contract)

Master team builder who folks stroked their hammer to for 8 years.

Last edited:

Shellshockedfrom2011

Aug 9, 2021
The dude who made that list has slurped hard on all Benning's moves and also been But Gillis and But drafting the whole time.

Is that list any different than (it looks way better to me, cost less assets and less salary):

Clendening (Forsling)
Pedan (3rd rd pick)
Conacher
Goldobin
Vey (2nd rd pick)
Leipsic
Kero
Spooner (bought out)
Perron
Pope (ECHLer)
Cracknell
Skille
Molino
Megna
Chaput
Wiercoch
Burmistrov
Nilsson
Palmu
Bachman
Roussel ($12m)
Beagle ($12m)
Schaller
Sutter (Bonino + 2nd)
Granlund (recent 1st)
Philip Larsen (4th)
Rafferty
Teves
Kielly
Fantenberg
Benn
Myers (5 years $30m)

That's a brutal read

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Is that list any different than (it looks way better to me, cost less assets and less salary):

Clendening (Forsling)
Pedan (3rd rd pick)
Conacher
Goldobin
Vey (2nd rd pick)
Leipsic
Kero
Spooner (bought out)
Perron
Pope (ECHLer)
Cracknell
Skille
Molino
Megna
Chaput
Wiercoch
Burmistrov
Nilsson
Palmu
Bachman
Roussel ($12m)
Beagle ($12m)
Schaller
Sutter (Bonino + 2nd)
Granlund (recent 1st)
Philip Larsen (4th)
Rafferty
Teves
Kielly
Fantenberg
Benn
Myers (5 years $30m)

LOL. That is a f***ing brutal list. I don't even recall 1/4 of those guys either.

Really shows you how much I have cared about the shit we've witnessed the past 8 years. Hell, I remember all but 2-3 players on that "Gillis' fail" list the other poster posted.

A cap dump like Brad Lukowich (who would be be a better defensive dman than most on the list above) still managed to impress during his showing up here, and was only lost because we had like 7-8 legit NHL defenseman on 1 way contracts that year. The f***ing D core between 2009-2012 was deep as hell.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Booth - was playing very well until having his knee wrecked on a cheapshot.

I understand the Booth acquisition by Gillis because they were tight to the cap and he took a gamble to try to improve his team. The gamble itself is fine.

The parts that need to be mentioned are:

A) They were almost forced to make a trade like this immediately because they paid 2.25 million (close to 3 million in today's cap for comparision) for a guy in Sturm who probably wasn't an NHL player. That is a disaster for a team that was so close to the cap and trying to win a Cup.

B) As has been talked about here many times, Booth's injury was a sprained MCL that held him out for a few weeks. That is not having "his knee wrecked" and is pretty minor for a knee injury. It's basically Edler/Hyman from last year.

Gillis did an awesome job overall, but some of his moves near the end didn't work out great. So be it. When creativity goes wrong it can often look like desparation.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
This is a tough one.

For upper management (president + gm) you need dozens of solid qualities but it's definitely important to key in on a handful.

You need someone who can deflect ownership...that's just something we can pretty easily assume in Vancouver.

You need someone forward thinking as this is a sport that is still evolving and you have to have a leg up on 31 peers.

You need someone who has an eye for talent and can delegate.

You need someone who clearly understands what is working in the frame of hockey as a sport, whether that means you need an experienced guy or not I don't know.

You need someone who has a calming, assertive, smart presence and is an effective communicator.

You need someone who can negotiate and clearly make hard decisions based on their vision.

Probably some other big ones I've missed but, it's not an easy task to find good management. Hopefully they take their time and don't get swayed by other stuff.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Agreed! Just take your time and pick the right guy(s). I don’t want some knee-jerk decision made. The more time that goes by (potentially) the better.

I get that $ plays a factor but please don’t pick someone because they are cheaper. That’s not good business!

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Athletic has a list of GM possibilities. I'm only the messenger. Don't shoot.

Rutherford
Smyl
Gillis
Gilman
Botterill
Wickenheiser
Bergevin
Mellanby
Eustace King
Chris MacFarland
Ryan Johnson
Henrik and Daniel
JP Barry
Luongo
Josh Flynn
Futa
Ferraro
Craig Conroy
Ross Mahoney
Ferguson Jr.
Weekes
Alexandra Mandrycky
Chayka

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The Athletic has a list of GM possibilities. I'm only the messenger. Don't shoot.

Rutherford
Smyl
Gillis
Gilman
Botterill
Wickenheiser
Bergevin
Mellanby
Eustace King
Chris MacFarland
Ryan Johnson
Henrik and Daniel
JP Barry
Luongo
Josh Flynn
Futa
Ferraro
Craig Conroy
Ross Mahoney
Ferguson Jr.
Weekes
Alexandra Mandrycky
Chayka
I keep seeing/hearing Ryan Johnson as a serious candidate… wouldn’t he be named interim GM if he was actually a strong possibility?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Well this team is still f***ed. It's why I didn't get too excited on Sunday. Frankie is still running the team, so to expect him to hire someone intelligent and a progressive thinker was very unlikely to happen.
It better be POHO and he’s being hired to find the right GM. Otherwise, why the bloody rush? Voids everything they said in press conference.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It better be POHO and he’s being hired to find the right GM. Otherwise, why the bloody rush? Voids everything they said in press conference.

I don't even care if it's for PoHo and not GM (if that ends up being the case). I don't want incompetence in the front office. Any GM who thought Erik Gudbranson, Jack Johnson, and Michael Matheson were good defensemen to build around is incompetent.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
If Jim Rutherford is GM we are doomed

If Jim Rutherford is PoHo and hires a dinosaur GM we are doomed

The only way this works out is if JR is the PoHo simply for the OBC relations around the league, since when Gillis was here as PoHo and GM he was hated by other teams GM's because he wasn't an old boy. If JR then goes and hires a new GM, with a new way of thinking, and the ability to make changes and culture shifts on this team (I've seen some great names from the National League come up recently by some posters here) then maybe we are okay

But knowing Frankie and knowing JR we in for another 5-7 years of trash

Reactions: m9 and CanuckCity

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Another egotistical dumb prick that's associated with winning multiple cups due to either good fortune or by having 2 of the best players in the game (at the time).

Just great. f*** you FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad