Speculation: Canucks next GM: The Hunt is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Based on what? A bunch of unfounded BS right here.

Responsibility and control aren’t the same. I guess after years of a no accountability guy in charge it affects the memory.

Also the president should absolutely be questioning the GM. Full alignment is what you e seen here since Linden was ousted.

Assuming that Torts wasn't Gillis' hire, I can see Gillis not hiring Boudreau due to language. It can be seen as unprofessional, swearing in public. That doesn't mean Gillis wouldn't keep him after getting to know him.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I think the Rutherford talk is for a president position. He's a dinosaur which I don't want for a GM at this point in time. He wouldn't be the worst middle man though with all his experience.

Not sure who would be the best GM though. A lot of me still thinks Tulsky would be a good choice.

Luongo I feel is underrated. Don't think he'd want to come back to Vancouver, but feel like he might surprise some people with what he can do.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Hockey News has a video up talking about the Canucks and a name they bring up as a strong candidate is Paul Krepelka, who is an AGM with the Panthers (hired November, 2020) and was with Carolina prior to that. I'd put him in the Tulsky/Darche bucket of rising talent with successful organizations.
Thanks for this info. Never heard of the guy before but seems interesting.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’ll be very sad if it’s a Rutherford or Tallon.
Most sites are just spitballing names. No sources being claimed. Not sure I would put any stock into names being floated about.

I mean not as if our local media reported anything about BB being contacted about the Canucks HC job til he got hired.

Reactions: Bubbles

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Big no to JR. His last moves crippled the Penguins. Him winning 2 cups with Crosby, Malking and Letang showed how stupid Shero was for wasting their primes with a coach like Disco Dan. That guy won the 2009 cup with Therien's system. He changed nothing. He showed his coaching skill in the years to follow.

Reactions: elitepete

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Rutherford as GM would be worse than continuing with Benning. At least with Benning you knew the end was near - I don't want to reset that clock with Rutherford.

Rutherford as President isn't as big of a deal to me if they make a smart GM hire.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rookie GM probably requires a POHO.

Former GM probably can do without one.

If they do opt for a rookie GM, ideally, go after someone who has multiple years working in organizations in different capacities, rather than 1 area like Benning did in Scouting. Get a better sense of the operation and team that is required do support the GM.

No idea what candidates are out there.

Just hope that Aquaman casts a wide net so that he can actually hear what others think about the current team as Aquaman clearly saw them differently than their record shows.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Big no to JR. His last moves crippled the Penguins. Him winning 2 cups with Crosby, Malking and Letang showed how stupid Shero was for wasting their primes with a coach like Disco Dan. That guy won the 2009 cup with Therien's system. He changed nothing. He showed his coaching skill in the years to follow.

I don't want Rutherford hired but he made some pretty key acquisitions to those Stanley Cup-winning teams is wasn't just about changing the coach he built a third line and improved the defence. Acquisitions like Hornqvist, Kessel, Schultz, Bonino, Cole, Lovejoy, Daley. He also made one of the smartest acquisitions in recent years in getting John Marino for basically nothing. The game has based him by but he did make some good moves for the penguins.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Most sites are just spitballing names. No sources being claimed. Not sure I would put any stock into names being floated about.

I mean not as if our local media reported anything about BB being contacted about the Canucks HC job til he got hired.
Someone should just blurt out some random name with hockey experience and see if the media picks it up and runs with it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would be very cautious about JR.

Some highlights from a hockeywriters article earlier this week:

"While Rutherford’s intentions were in the right place with some of his moves, they did nothing to help the team and did a lot to compromise the future. You don’t have to look too much further than the contracts he signed off on following the 2018 Playoffs.

On July 1, 2018, the Penguins signed 31-year-old defenseman Jack Johnson to a five-year, $16.25 million contract. This signing was immediately viewed as an awful contract by the fan base. Johnson wasn’t the same player he was after being picked third overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. He wasn’t going to score 40 points and was a career minus-109 at that point."

Rutherford signed Tanev to a six-year deal worth $3.5 million per season. That’s way too high of a price tag for a guy that steadily plays on your fourth line. Adding a modified no-trade clause only makes him harder to move if things go downhill."

The Johnson contract is awful but Brandon Tanev's deal is an absolute steal. He's a top-5 3rd line player in the NHL.

Reactions: Nucker101

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
What player evaluations did he get wrong? I can only really think of one.

Steve Bernier
Pavol Demitra
Keith Ballard
Kyle Wellwood
Darcy Hordichuk
Jason Krog
Tanner Glass
Micheal Grabner
Mathieu Schneider
Brad Lukowich
Ryan Parent
Peter Schaefer
Victor Oreskovich
David Booth
Andrew Ebbett
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Mike Duco
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz

Reactions: Cucumber

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Steve Bernier
Pavol Demitra
Keith Ballard
Kyle Wellwood
Darcy Hordichuk
Jason Krog
Tanner Glass
Micheal Grabner
Mathieu Schneider
Brad Lukowich
Ryan Parent
Peter Schaefer
Victor Oreskovich
David Booth
Andrew Ebbett
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Mike Duco
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz
damm a lot of names I want to forget.

Don't forget Paulsson, Sundin, Kassian, Lain, and I'm sure there are a few more names. Honestly a lot of those names never had protential too.

Although I will let Garrison, Roy and booth slide since they were good players till they came here

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Canucks should hire Ray Ferraro as GM and Rutherford as president to mentor and groom him for a couple 2/3 years. Rays vision and Rutherford can show him the mechanics of being a GM. Within the last two days ive heard Ray gets asked on his own podcast and a donnie and dhali show if he ever wants to get into management and he said he wants to get in but no one calls. I dont think that is by accident him being asked.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
damm a lot of names I want to forget.

Don't forget Paulsson, Sundin, Kassian, Lain, and I'm sure there are a few more names. Honestly a lot of those names never had protential too.

Although I will let Garrison, Roy and booth slide since they were good players till they came here

I thought Sundin helped Kesler's development and was our best player in the playoffs. Kassian has been discussed to death... My only memory of Lain was the line brawl vs Calgary.

One other thing he liked to do was draft overage college players because he overvalued smarts. He has a daughter who was in field hockey at university (UBC?) so I think it was a sentimental thing. Just so many depth picks that never panned out, let alone his top picks. Like Benning, Gillis got caught chasing 'guys who can play now' and ended up with 'guys on their way to Europe soon'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cucumber

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Steve Bernier
Pavol Demitra
Keith Ballard
Kyle Wellwood
Darcy Hordichuk
Jason Krog
Tanner Glass
Micheal Grabner
Mathieu Schneider
Brad Lukowich
Ryan Parent
Peter Schaefer
Victor Oreskovich
David Booth
Andrew Ebbett
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Mike Duco
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz

Lots of those names are wrong, lots are nothing guys signed to be AHL callups (of the sort that every GM in NHL history has dozens of) and several are draft picks recommended by his staff.

Kyle Wellwood was a great signing FFS.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought Sundin helped Kesler's development and was our best player in the playoffs. Kassian has been discussed to death... My only memory of Lain was the line brawl vs Calgary.

One other thing he liked to do was draft overage college players because he overvalued smarts. He has a daughter who was in field hockey at university (UBC?) so I think it was a sentimental thing. Just so many depth picks that never panned out, let alone his top picks. Like Benning, Gillis got caught chasing 'guys who can play now' and ended up with 'guys on their way to Europe soon'.

Drafting overage college players is statistically hugely more successful than drafting first-time eligible CHLers in the mid-late rounds of the draft.

Reactions: racerjoe

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Canucks won the Lottery pick when ... we finally got both Dim and Greener fired...
Only one left to go is Fredo..... heh a guy can dream right ?

Bruce... there it is.... Bruce there it is....

whoop-there-it-is.gif

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I think you just listed players you didn't like or know nothing about...

Steve Bernier - was this a miss? maybe it was bad to retain from the offersheet?
Pavol Demitra - Also how was this a miss? He was still a top 6 maybe even top line player for us
Keith Ballard - This is one of two I thought of so I would agree
Kyle Wellwood - How is this a miss?
Darcy Hordichuk - He is just a fourth liner what were you expecting? We even traded him for a positive return...
Jason Krog - ? He was signed as AHL depth
Tanner Glass ? He was a fourth liner?
Micheal Grabner - He traded a guy who wasn't going to make our team and wasn't going to and didn't pass through waivers
Mathieu Schneider - Would give you this one
Brad Lukowich - Was literally taken as a cap dump
Ryan Parent - ?
Peter Schaefer ?
Victor Oreskovich ?
David Booth Was actually excellent and traded for nothing. It wasn't until injury when he started to suck
Andrew Ebbett ?
Marc-Andre Gragnani ?
Mike Duco ?
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz

I stopped looking cause you just listed mostly a bunch of guys signed to be AHL depth or 4th liners... like seriously a waste of my time to reply.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Canucks should hire Ray Ferraro as GM and Rutherford as president to mentor and groom him for a couple 2/3 years. Rays vision and Rutherford can show him the mechanics of being a GM. Within the last two days ive heard Ray gets asked on his own podcast and a donnie and dhali show if he ever wants to get into management and he said he wants to get in but no one calls. I dont think that is by accident him being asked.
He’s not qualified to be a GM but I would love if they brought him in to hockey ops in some capacity. He always brings an interesting perspective.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Steve Bernier
Pavol Demitra
Keith Ballard
Kyle Wellwood
Darcy Hordichuk
Jason Krog
Tanner Glass
Micheal Grabner
Mathieu Schneider
Brad Lukowich
Ryan Parent
Peter Schaefer
Victor Oreskovich
David Booth
Andrew Ebbett
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Mike Duco
Alexander Sulzer
Marc Mancari
Byron Bitz
Jason Garrison
Derrick Roy
Tom Sestito
Nicklas Jensen
Frankie Corrado
Steve Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Cam Barker
Zac Dalpe
Raphael Diaz

Demitra? Ebbet? Garisson?

Alot of these names are nothing players that played as the teams 12th forward

Would love to make the equivalent jimbo list if you are going to include players like Hordichuk and Krog

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad