Speculation: Canucks next GM: The Hunt is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Maybe its just me, but Bruce Boudreau doesn't strike me as coach that Gillis would hire...Also, I thought that Aqualini made a valid point that its tough to find a GM/President combo that does not butt heads..Gillis was a bit of a control freak (regarding everything).
Based on what? A bunch of unfounded BS right here.

Responsibility and control aren’t the same. I guess after years of a no accountability guy in charge it affects the memory.

Also the president should absolutely be questioning the GM. Full alignment is what you e seen here since Linden was ousted.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I just want a good communicator, I don't even care who it is.
I just want somebody who can send proper messages, and makes the organization look like pure class again, and not a complete embarrassment.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I just want somebody who can send proper messages, and makes the organization look like pure class again, and not a complete embarrassment.

Scheisters and schmoozers can communicate well but it doesn’t make them competent to run large corporations with big technical staffs.

Reactions: Paper Bag

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Hear you loud and clear.

mike-milbury-hates-the-washington-capitals.png

Reactions: lawrence

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What’s so dumb is that all this narrative nonsense would be 1000% different if they had simply won one more game in 2011.

Nobody questions a GM who wins a cup. Even Chiarelli. But come within one game of winning a cup and it’s “but you didn’t draft superstars at 29th overall. Fail.”

I don't think it would have been, to be honest. I think they'd be even harsher on him.

I'm calling a spade a spade - Gillis was a prick to pretty much everyone outside of his team. And don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that as a fan; it was nice having a guy go against the grain, who didn't kiss ass with the media, who openly showed his disdain for the Eastern mouthpieces who can't speak for the giant Maple Leafs lodged in their craws - he acted like the smartest guy in the room (which for a good time, he was) and the media hated him for that. They delighted in his failures and they've shown him absolutely no love ever since.

All this pissing and moaning from the media about Gillis, to me, is them showing sour grapes to a guy who wouldn't kiss their rings. Nothing more or less. There is a balanced conversation to be had about the pros and cons of Gillis' tenure, but I don't think you'll get a fair assessment from anyone in the media - in the lower mainland or outside of it.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Spector is an idiot. Nothing new here.

Just yesterday someone tried to argue Dale Tallon was the reason for the success of the Florida team, and not Bill Zito. The "insert name didn't build this team because insert name built this team" argument has always been tremendously flawed to me, and just an incredibly simplistic way of looking at things.

1) Every GM inherits pieces from the previous GM unless they are hired by an expansion team. Everybody always brings up what Gillis inherited from Burke and Nonis. Yet they don't mention that Burke inherited 2/3 of the WCE, the pieces to make the trades to get the Sedins, and Moginly and Bure to bring in Morrison and Jovo. The pieces to bring in Luongo were also inherited. Even Benning didn't inherit nothing. He inherited Horvat, Markstom, and Tanev, and pieces from our 2011 team that did return assets. It's a GMs job to set the right direction, and execute. I don't care what they inherited.

2) In the case of Gillis, Zito, etc, they weren't hired to build a new core/rebuild. They were hired because the previous GMs failed to build a competitive team around the core they built and were fired for it. If Gillis and Zito got to build their own core it means they built more losing teams.

3) Like I said, GMs that build their team preside over losing period and all they have to do is hit a the odd high pick. I get that every team has to rebuild. But GMs like Tallon and Benning built their teams because they got to keep their jobs 7-10 years despite continually losing, and never had a planned rebuild.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't think it would have been, to be honest. I think they'd be even harsher on him.

I'm calling a spade a spade - Gillis was a prick to pretty much everyone outside of his team. And don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that as a fan; it was nice having a guy go against the grain, who didn't kiss ass with the media, who openly showed his disdain for the Eastern mouthpieces who can't speak for the giant Maple Leafs lodged in their craws - he acted like the smartest guy in the room (which for a good time, he was) and the media hated him for that. They delighted in his failures and they've shown him absolutely no love ever since.

All this pissing and moaning from the media about Gillis, to me, is them showing sour grapes to a guy who wouldn't kiss their rings. Nothing more or less. There is a balanced conversation to be had about the pros and cons of Gillis' tenure, but I don't think you'll get a fair assessment from anyone in the media - in the lower mainland or outside of it.
Pretty much a prick to everyone is a helluvan exaggeration.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I think if Gillis comes back, the media is going to crazy over it. Would love to see him come back and see if he can build this back.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Very true. It is funny that the only time these guys pay any attention to the Canucks, it's when you say "Mike Gillis" and they instantly start frothing at the mouths in some sort of Pavlovian response. It's frankly pretty embarrassing.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Hockey News has a video up talking about the Canucks and a name they bring up as a strong candidate is Paul Krepelka, who is an AGM with the Panthers (hired November, 2020) and was with Carolina prior to that. I'd put him in the Tulsky/Darche bucket of rising talent with successful organizations.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Please don't bring Gillis back... Just move forward. I don't trust his player evaluation skills, hitting on a SJ cap dump in Ehrhoff for a compensatory 2nd round pick doesn't make him some kind of genius. Benning's misses makes people nostalgic, which makes them also forget how bad Gillis was at the draft table. Gillis left bare cupboards, and now, so is Benning. There are so many other guys in hockey ops that we can look at, no need to double down on an old mistake.

What player evaluations did he get wrong? I can only really think of one.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Hockey News has a video up talking about the Canucks and a name they bring up as a strong candidate is Paul Krepelka, who is an AGM with the Panthers (hired November, 2020) and was with Carolina prior to that. I'd put him in the Tulsky/Darche bucket of rising talent with successful organizations.

Where can I find this video?

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Maybe its just me, but Bruce Boudreau doesn't strike me as coach that Gillis would hire...Also, I thought that Aqualini made a valid point that its tough to find a GM/President combo that does not butt heads..Gillis was a bit of a control freak (regarding everything).

Maybe. I don't know how much of that is media BS though. He did have Gilman to be be his failsafe and to tell him if he was doing stupid. People in the organization liked working for him too.

The next president/president needs to be able to put the right structure in place for us to be a successful organization again. Whether that's Gillis or someone else.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Maybe. I don't know how much of that is media BS though. He did have Gilman to be be his failsafe and to tell him if he was doing stupid. People in the organization liked working for him too.

The next president/president needs to be able to put the right structure in place for us to be a successful organization again. Whether that's Gillis or someone else.
The idea he was a micro manager is silly as hell. So is the idea he wouldn’t want an uptempo coach who pays attention to the analysis.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
And the player that was misevaluated was basically instantly removed from the team. Not signed to a contract extension like Sbisa+Guddy+Pouliot+ETC.
The but Gillis folks I don’t think have ever actually gone back to evaluate their opinions. Still stuck in the torts season.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
There is nothing surprising here. Rutherford is willing to execute short term thinking and sell
the Aquilinis the garbage they want to hear.

I would be surprised if we ended up with someone who cares about the 5-10 year outlook rather than years 1-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad