Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Waiver Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Looks like Soucy is back to play against PHI.

Intriguing that he automatically slots to LD3 rather than prioritizing getting Juulsen out of the starting lineup.

I think also playing a part—the coaching staff likes what they see with Hughes and Hronek together.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Intriguing that he automatically slots to LD3 rather than prioritizing getting Juulsen out of the starting lineup.

I think also playing a part—the coaching staff likes what they see with Hughes and Hronek together.

Not so mysterious anymore, it's pretty clear how Tocchet feels about the defense ... Hughes-Cole-Soucy down the left side. We are in rather dire need of an upgrade to Juulsen at this point.

Hirose is a better option than Juulsen thus far, but obviously plays left so he's down the depth chart.

Reactions: Vector and m9

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Friedman talking about Garland again on today's 32 thoughts ... not much new outside the fact the Canucks would take the right player with term back in a deal (ie. assumably a right-shot defenseman), but are looking to clear $1-2M in cap space in the process. Some stuff about the agent change etc. Elliotte had previously heard the Canucks would only take back a player on a short-term deal in the trade, but that's apparently not the case.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Friedman talking about Garland again on today's 32 thoughts ... not much new outside the fact the Canucks would take the right player with term back in a deal (ie. assumably a right-shot defenseman), but are looking to clear $1-2M in cap space in the process. Some stuff about the agent change etc. Elliotte had previously heard the Canucks would only take back a player on a short-term deal in the trade, but that's apparently not the case.

Pretty much identical to what he said on Saturday. And what was said the previous two days.

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
mWhat's really gross is that's the healthy top six. Truly does feel like the coaches are shooting themselves in the foot by insisting on right-handedness on the right side.
I think the majority of teams do this though. But at some point you have to think they may try Cole over there. Noah Juulsen is just getting ventilated out there. Have to hope Woo can improve some more and get off to a good start.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So here's what's been reported about a potential Garland trade.

-Predators, Jets, & Blue Jackets (others as well)
-clear 1-2m in cap space
-acquire a RD
-Garland's contract is 4.95/3y
-willing to take on some term with the incoming contract

Jets:
Cap Space: 2.32m
RD Options:
Pionk - 5.875/2y
DeMelo - 3.0/1y

Predators:
Cap Space: 7.85m
RD Options:
Barrie - 4.5/1y
Carrier - 2.5/1y
Fabbro - 2.5/1y (RFA)

Blue Jackets:
Cap Space: 2.55m
RD Options:
Peeke - 2.75/3y
Boqvist - 2.6/2y
Gudbranson - 4.0y/3y (10-NTC)

Of all those options, Garland with some retention for Peeke. The Canucks could also take on Eric Robinson. He has a 1.6m cap hit (1.7m in salary) and but has been waived and buried in the AHL. The actual money would be round 17m for Garland and 9.85m for Peeke & Robinson. Canucks would save about 1.75m in cap space this year.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
We really should be letting some of these contracts just expire. If we manage to get some cap space by trading Myeres, we really should not take advantage of it right away. Next summer we are going to need a bunch of that cap space to sign EP and Hronek. according to cap friendly, we will have $31M available next year. EP at $11, Hronek at $6M leaves us $14M to spend on 8 players.
This sounds good to me, again as long as we're not spending assets to trade Myers. Otherwise I'm fine just keeping his minutes and letting his contract expire.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Not so mysterious anymore, it's pretty clear how Tocchet feels about the defense ... Hughes-Cole-Soucy down the left side. We are in rather dire need of an upgrade to Juulsen at this point.

Hirose is a better option than Juulsen thus far, but obviously plays left so he's down the depth chart.

Just to pin point your point. The need is to upgrade Myers, and bump him to 3RD and thus Juulsen to 7/8D. If Hirose isn't playing would rather send him down to get minutes and call up another guy.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Just to pin point your point. The need is to upgrade Myers, and bump him to 3RD and thus Juulsen to 7/8D. If Hirose isn't playing would rather send him down to get minutes and call up another guy.

I think it's all about getting another NHL defenseman on the right side to bump Juulsen into the press box. How you structure it after that is up for debate.

In my eyes, you'll probably be hard-pressed to get a clear-cut upgrade on Myers in the Garland deal (as much hate as Myers generates around here). I don't think Peeke, for example, would that guy ... he'd be better positioned on the third pair with Soucy.

Bear is the obvious one to replace Myers at a cheaper salary without possibly downgrading the top four, but you'll have to wait on him.

As we see from today's practice report, they will default to the opening night alignment until personnel changes: Hughes-Hronek, Cole-Myers, Soucy-Juulsen

I still think what they're actually looking at is a right-side upgrade on the bottom pair at this stage.

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
You’d have to think some of the Canucks players would be attending the Phillies- Diamondbacks game tonight. I thought I heard Tocchet say the other day he was going to the game. This road trip is pretty nicely spread out. They’ll get a bit of practice time and a couple regulars back. Would be nice to collect 7 or 8 points here and get out of the gate quickly. Two points down and the dirty Coilers are 0-2. I’m still pissed off by those two cowardly slewfoots/ dirty trips on the last two Canucks goals. Peter and Lafferty could have both been injured.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Pretty much identical to what he said on Saturday. And what was said the previous two days.

This literally sounds like they are describing the inevitable Garland-Peeke trade.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This literally sounds like they are describing the inevitable Garland-Peeke trade.

It seems the framework is there, they just need to find a way to make the money work so the owners aren't grumpy. Blue Jackets have enough cruft on their roster (Roslovic and Robinson) that making a larger trade is possible. As we know, the larger the trade the longer it takes to get done.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if they facilitate a Roslovic Myers swap within that deal because of the real cash to make the CBJ owners happy.

Roslovic fights with Suter for the last C spot.

• Love
Reactions: Josepho

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wonder if they facilitate a Roslovic Myers swap within that deal because of the real cash to make the CBJ owners happy.

Roslovic fights with Suter for the last C spot.

Going deeper on this idea, I'm not sure how to make it work unless the Canucks retain on Myers. I've added Robinson to get the salaries closer.

Garland = 4.95/3y (17m)
Myers = 6m/1y (1m)

10.95m cap hit
18m salary

Peeke = 2.75/3y (8.25m)
Roslovic = 4.0/1y (4m)
Robinson = 0.45/1y (1.7)

7.2 cap hit
13.95m salary

So given that, the Canucks would still need to retain on someone. Canucks would want Myers while the Blue Jackets would want Garland.

Reactions: Peen

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Then at the end of it, I don't think the defence is any better. You're still rolling with Hronek, Peeke, and Juulsen and have only freed up some room for Bear. I'm not sure how much better Hronek, Bear, Peeke is than Hronek, Myers, Peeke.

Plus, for the Blue Jackets they wouldn't be trading from a surplus of right-side defencemen only to acquire another.

Reactions: Peen

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You’d have to think some of the Canucks players would be attending the Phillies- Diamondbacks game tonight. I thought I heard Tocchet say the other day he was going to the game. This road trip is pretty nicely spread out. They’ll get a bit of practice time and a couple regulars back. Would be nice to collect 7 or 8 points here and get out of the gate quickly. Two points down and the dirty Coilers are 0-2. I’m still pissed off by those two cowardly slewfoots/ dirty trips on the last two Canucks goals. Peter and Lafferty could have both been injured.
Key game on the trip is the Nashville one. If you assume Col and Dal will secure 2 of the top 3 spots in the Central, then any combo of Win, Min, Nas, STL will be in the mix for #3 and the WC spots. I'm assuming AZ and Chi won't be in the mix.

No B2B on the trip, so that's always a plus. I mean, if you do, it's the distance between the 2 cities. PHI and any of the other 3 NY area teams it's easy travel. Going from Dal to Chi, not so much.

Reactions: Lindgren

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

Good that they let Soucy get healthy - and Demko too - so that they can play against a real NHL team rather than winless bottom feeders like the Oilers.

Also, if Hughes-Hronek really is a good pairing, then I guess it means we only have to try to find second and third pairing RDs who can play. The D would look a lot better with two competent defensemen to replace Myers and Juulsen.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
They aren’t going to find a # 2 and # 3 RHD in season unless they throw the 2024 1st, pieces like Podkolzin and Hoglander on the table.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Have there been any further updates from Toch regarding Mikheyev? I'm assuming they have the luxury of taking their time with his return since the forwards are buzzing as is.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
They aren’t going to find a # 2 and # 3 RHD in season unless they throw the 2024 1st, pieces like Podkolzin and Hoglander on the table.
Hoglander or Podkolzin for a top 4 RD would be a win.

And between the two Id keep Hoglander - he’s shown more than Podz so far. All Podz has going for him now is pedigree

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

-wonders if the Canucks are clearing the 1-2m for Ethan Bear
-Canucks very much interested in bringing him back
-Bear's agent says he's not in a rush to sign
-most likely will sign in November and able to play in December
-rehabbing in Kelowna

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad