Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Waiver Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't think smith gets claimed. he's basically a less productive rathbone clone

people here pumped him up at the time of the marino trade to make it seem like vancouver couldn't have possibly have made that trade but he's been given tons of opportunity to make the nhl in the last three years and he's been very bad each time. the last time smith had value was in september 2021 before he struggled that season in limited minutes with jersey

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
We already have too many depth 6-7-8 LD…

Wolanin
Irwin
Rathbone
Hirose
Brisebois
We do not.

Wolanin is fine as a 6-8 puck mover.

Rest should all be in the minors for various reasons.

They should be targeting two waiver wire guys here.

Hoglander should probably be dangled here if there's a higher value potential waiver guy upcoming.

Reactions: arttk

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
i don't think smith gets claimed. he's basically a less productive rathbone clone

people here pumped him up at the time of the marino trade to make it seem like vancouver couldn't have possibly have made that trade but he's been given tons of opportunity to make the nhl in the last three years and he's been very bad each time. the last time smith had value was in september 2021 before he struggled that season in limited minutes with jersey
While Smith has had his struggles, he’s certainly not Rathbone level bad.

This is a case of a player being mis managed if anything. He was force fed into a terrible Devils team and then traded to a Pittsburgh who have Ryan Graves, Marcus Pettersson, POJ on the left side. Not mention Karlsson, Letang, and Ruhwedel on the right side, even if he could play on the right side.

Calling him Rathbone level bad is disingenuous.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
We already have too many depth 6-7-8 LD…

Wolanin
Irwin
Rathbone
Hirose
Brisebois
He's better than Ratbone and Brisebois or at least have more upside. Hirose really should be in the AHL for a good chunk of the season to get his strength up so picking him up is really about making a decision between Irwin/Wol and Smith and Smith is younger and have more upside.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
While Smith has had his struggles, he’s certainly not Rathbone level bad.

This is a case of a player being mis managed if anything. He was force fed into a terrible Devils team and then traded to a Pittsburgh who have Ryan Graves, Marcus Pettersson, POJ on the left side. Not mention Karlsson, Letang, and Ruhwedel on the right side, even if he could play on the right side.

Calling him Rathbone level bad is disingenuous.

what makes him better than rathbone? he's played more nhl games but they were all on a new jersey team that also played pk subban, ryan murray and colton white. his ahl numbers are worse also. his only advantage over rathbone is he's a year younger but he's still old for a player that still needs to make massive improvements to have a solid nhl career

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
With Vasilevskiy getting back surgery, Martin has to be good as gone. Can't see the TBL going with Jonas Johansson as a starter. Martin has experience in their org too.

Surprised we couldn't cut a super cheap deal for him though. Maybe a blessing we got DeSmith when we did?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ducks, Coyotes, Bruins, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Panthers, Kings, Islanders, Flyers, Sharks, Blues, and Capitals should all have varying degree of interest in Smith. Claim him now and see if he can stick at the bottom of the roster over the other guys competing. He's only making the minimum.

Reactions: vancityluongo

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
We do not.

Wolanin is fine as a 6-8 puck mover.

Rest should all be in the minors for various reasons.

They should be targeting two waiver wire guys here.

Hoglander should probably be dangled here if there's a higher value potential waiver guy upcoming.
While I agree, I wouldn’t put a claim on Smith for several reasons.

1. Size (We have Hughes and Hronek in the top 4)
2. We have Hughes and Hronek.

He wouldn’t get nearly the same opportunities and is best served in a role where he’s not penciled in as a third pair defenseman. He needs his PP time, and certainly needs an environment where he can roam and quarterback.

He would be a misfit on our rather depth loaded defense.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
what makes him better than rathbone? he's played more nhl games but they were all on a new jersey team that also played pk subban, ryan murray and colton white. his ahl numbers are worse also. his only advantage over rathbone is he's a year younger but he's still old for a player that still needs to make massive improvements to have a solid nhl career

Rathbone is just crap. Not even close to being NHL-calibre defensively.

Smith is a pretty big step up in terms of how he processes the game.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
While I agree, I wouldn’t put a claim on Smith for several reasons.

1. Size (We have Hughes and Hronek in the top 4)
2. We have Hughes and Hronek.

He wouldn’t get nearly the same opportunities and is best served in a role where he’s not penciled in as a third pair defenseman. He needs his PP time, and certainly needs an environment where he can roam and quarterback.

He would be a misfit on our rather depth loaded defense.
Yes. I agree. I think they'd be better off hedging and seeing who pops up. I'm sure they've got this stuff drawn up on Jim Benning's league wide depth chart board and have some names they think will pop up.

But if you think he defends his own zone at a level above Wolanin, I do think they should be picking this guy up. Because Wolanin and Hirose have something to prove there. And Rathbone just isn't that guy anyways.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Because Rathbone is just a worse player than Smith in pretty much every regard.

Smith is a better skater, puck mover, defender, and bigger than Rathbone. Smith processes the game levels above Rathbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad