Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Waiver Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
He also said Hronek plays like Myers.

nah you just can't read. this is what i said:

no one will like this comparison but hronek reminds me of tyler myers. obviously doesn't have the size but plays very similar in style. going forward both of them like to skate and are capable of making a good first pass but both are easy to force into bad decisions. defending both of them are poor positionally and use their sticks way too much when they should be using their bodies. if you think myers is bad at clearing the net front wait until you see hronek. hronek has better offensive zone tools, better transition defense and is a much better penalty killer than myers. myers can bring a physical element sometimes though that hronek just completely lacks
hronek is the better defender but he needs a quality partner who can help him out with the in zone stuff and the zone exits

He is a RHD though he would get the ice

so is soucy but tocchet/foote play him on the left because he's a left shot. i'd expect the same to be true for boqvist

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

so is soucy but tocchet/foote play him on the left because he's a left shot. i'd expect the same to be true for boqvist
Yes you wrote this
“ obviously doesn't have the size but plays very similar in style. “ and almost everything you wrote to support that is like wrong, like really really wrong.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Peeke was actually fine for Columbus in a depth role, it was when he was playing ~20mins per night or something he started to struggle. Given winger value, if you can do him for Garland with some retention straight up it's not terrible if you plan to play him with Soucy on the bottom pairing for 15-16 minutes per night with PK time.

Then sign Bear when he's ready in December and trade Myers.

Hughes-Hronek
Cole-Bear
Soucy-Peeke

Is probably alright. It's not winning you anything, but you'll be better than you have been recently and no AHLers technically in the line-up. Also infinitely more cap efficient than last year.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
credulous HATES Peeke.

Well credulous will have to lea
Peeke was actually fine for Columbus in a depth role, it was when he was playing ~20mins per night or something he started to struggle. Given winger value, if you can do him for Garland with some retention straight up it's not terrible if you plan to play him with Soucy on the bottom pairing for 15-16 minutes per night with PK time.

Then sign Bear when he's ready in December and trade Myers.

Hughes-Hronek
Cole-Bear
Soucy-Peeke

Is probably alright. It's not winning you anything, but you'll be better than you have been recently and no AHLers technically in the line-up. Also infinitely more cap efficient than last year.

It’s a better group imo. I don’t think the team intends, or should, pair Hronek with Quinn long term however.

Reactions: arttk and Nucker101

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Bet you Jake Livingston wishes he signed here now. Buried in the minors with the Preds.
Hey, there you go, Garland with some retention for Jake Livingston!

Jake is a low investment for them, a free asset.
The get Garland and maybe a 6th instead for free!

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

You think?.. interesting.. boq is a true rh shot .. what makes you think they would play him on the left, curious

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Well credulous will have to lea

It’s a better group imo. I don’t think the team intends, or should, pair Hronek with Quinn long term however.

Hughes partner is going to have to wait. In my opinion the right side will be Hronek-Myers-Juulsen till they make a Peeke-like trade (not him necessarily) or Bear is back.

Hughes-Cole-Soucy need to anchor pairings on the left side, in my opinion, especially if Juulsen and Myers are on the right side.

We saw a bunch of juggling last night (even Hughes-Myers again) so it’ll move around.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
We saw a bunch of juggling last night (even Hughes-Myers again) so it’ll move around.

i think this juggling is tochett's attempt to prevent unfavourable match ups on the road and to manage the minutes of the players. i bet it happens a lot less for home games.

does anyone know if coaches have some kind of app on the bench (or stats assistant upstairs), that tracks the minutes they have played, lists how long players have been resting, and proposes line combo sequences to achieve preset usage goals.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t have an opinion on Peeke because I don’t remember what he has looked like when we have played against them.

I will say this - he has to be a surefire #5 at the very minimum.

I don’t mind paying a premium for one of those guys like we are with Soucy, but if you aren’t 100% sure Peeke will outplay bottom pairing / 2nd pk unit minutes, this isn’t some sort of slam dunk trade.

We do need another body - don’t get me wrong.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
He’s a right shot. He’s also the one that everyone seems to think is the least appealing option since he’s a smallish offensively focused defensemen. You’re kind of on an island in your opinions in regards to Peeke and Boqvist.

don't get me wrong; i don't think boqvist is really the answer to the hughes partner problem. i just think boqvist is more likely to be useful in someway than peeke

i know the canucks are asset poor and no one wants to see picks or good young players moved but i think the canucks should seriously consider making a run at a brandon carlo or parayko or nick jensen. it'd be risky and potentially costly but it would give the canucks the kind of player they sorely lack and wouldn't be a misguided attempt to do some kind of "schenn was good enough" manouvre

Reactions: Canucker and Vector

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I honestly would be happy with Boqvist or Peeke. Both are young and still have a lot of room to develop into their projected skillset. Boqvist a very good offensive defenseman, and Peeke could advance into a pretty good top 4 defensive defenseman. I would be stoked with either.

Tocchet would whip either player into shape.

Reactions: Canucker

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
if we are in playoff position, those players will only be traded for other current NHL players who can play now, not picks or prospects.
My dream scenario would be to off load these guys for picks, replace them with NHL players from competitive teams along with sweeteners so they can overspend on the big names
Then package the sweeteners and the assets attained in our expiring contracts to get an important piece for our future
Then balance the cap and really load up this off season.
It’s so simple

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I really don't want to trade another 1st, but I wonder if a guy like Boqvist might be worth it, with Beau/CG going back the other way? I know he's another offensive defenseman and he shoots left, but he is young and fills that need. Another puck moving D on the right side would be huge and strong depth for if Hronek or Hughes were to go down.
Not what we need at all

Reactions: ChilliBilly

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'd happily take either Peeke, or preferably Boqvist, (provided either came at a reasonable cost) if it meant seeing less Tyler Myers.

Yes we need another NHL defenseman badly, preferably on the right. If you can that piece straight up for winger without adding, you go for it.

Reactions: Canucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad