Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Waiver Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Friedman listed Columbus, Nashville and Winnipeg as teams potentially interested in Connor Garland.
I'm going to assume that one of Boqvist, Peeke, Fabbro, Stanley and maybe by slim chance Neal Pionk might be available via trade. If it's Connor Garland as the foundation piece of a potential trade with any one of these teams involving one of their defenseman, then I would be quite happy.

On another note, I could also see the Canucks trying to trade Jack Rathbone this season since Hirose, Juulsen, Brisboise, McWard and even Woo have surpassed him on the defensive depth chart. Unfortunately although the potential is there, I just don't see Rath as part of the future with the Canucks anymore.

Anyways I am excited to see the future of the Canucks this season.
I think Rutherford/Allvin have made some real solid moves this season/offseason, that I am starting to have a bit of faith in Canucks management. I actually think they know what the team actually needs to be a contender.
If Allvin comes back with Fabbro as the main part as a Garland deal without emptying the bank, then I would be ecstatic. Hughes would finally have a partner.

We shall see...

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
don't get me wrong; i don't think boqvist is really the answer to the hughes partner problem. i just think boqvist is more likely to be useful in someway than peeke

i know the canucks are asset poor and no one wants to see picks or good young players moved but i think the canucks should seriously consider making a run at a brandon carlo or parayko or nick jensen. it'd be risky and potentially costly but it would give the canucks the kind of player they sorely lack and wouldn't be a misguided attempt to do some kind of "schenn was good enough" manouvre
Parakyo would be a disastrous acquisition

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Also, interesting huge difference between the Garland and Boeser situations is that there’s already teams interested and named. With Boeser, the information was scant and didn’t sound like anyone wanted him.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Why are you guys interested in a top 3 drafting teams left overs

Soucy should be with Hronek and Cole with Hughes

Peeke and Boqvist just take the spot Myers should be in
No clue why this has not been tried. Even in preseason with a healthy lineup, I don't think we really saw it.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Parakyo would be a disastrous acquisition

i think there's a good chance this is true but he's also was very good at one point and there's no good reason he's fallen off. i don't think it's health or age (well maybe age). i'm not saying parayko would be a great acquisition -- there's a good chance i'd hate it if it happened -- but the canucks need to be targeting a top 2-3 defender. they're not going to solve their problems by taking other teams castoffs

whether it's parayko or someone else this team needs someone good not someone who "might be a good partner for hughes"

Reactions: Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
No clue why this has not been tried. Even in preseason with a healthy lineup, I don't think we really saw it.
I think we eventually see it.

The issue is Soucy hasn't gotten into a rhythm yet so Myers gets the nod as the #5 to move into the top4 and Cole is the best guy to babysit him because they can play a simple game where Hughes is gonna need someone who can either be the Schenn/Tanev/Cole reliable guy or a guy like Hronek ho can keep the pressure on.

I suspect once healthy he's gonna need a run of games to get his knee feeling right also so it's gonna be a couple weeks probably

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Noah Dobson when the Islanders finally decide to rebuild? Theodore decides to come home? Andersson asks for a trade? Maybe Larsson in 2yrs as a UFA if he still has gas in the tank

In all seriousness it's gonna be next to impossible to get a top 2/3 defensive shut down stud that can play the right side this year. Hopefully Willander is our Heiskanen MacAvoy in 2-3 yrs and we can stop gap without eating a bad contract.

DeMelo Roy are a couple UFAs i wouldn't mind on 2-3yr deal. The fear would be adding too much money and term and then neither of Willander or McWard become top4 guys and then your screwed being able to afford another big ticket with Hughes and Hroneks deals which is what your stuck doing if your going after a UFA or about to be UFA aged player

Reactions: andora

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
way.

garland played just under 10 minutes last night. myers played just under 20. we can lose garland. we cannot lose myers unless we replace his minutes and/or juulsen shows he can play more than 12 minutes in a clutch game.
Completely agree. The uncomfortable truth is that as of right now Myers is actually not an expendable player for the Canucks. Sure he's overpaid, but that's not the point. The point is it's much easier said than done to replace his minutes. People act like he's so bad than anybody could but no, not even close.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Completely agree. The uncomfortable truth is that as of right now Myers is actually not an expendable player for the Canucks. Sure he's overpaid, but that's not the point. The point is it's much easier said than done to replace his minutes. People act like he's so bad than anybody could but no, not even close.
We really should be letting some of these contracts just expire. If we manage to get some cap space by trading Myeres, we really should not take advantage of it right away. Next summer we are going to need a bunch of that cap space to sign EP and Hronek. according to cap friendly, we will have $31M available next year. EP at $11, Hronek at $6M leaves us $14M to spend on 8 players.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
We really should be letting some of these contracts just expire. If we manage to get some cap space by trading Myeres, we really should not take advantage of it right away. Next summer we are going to need a bunch of that cap space to sign EP and Hronek. according to cap friendly, we will have $31M available next year. EP at $11, Hronek at $6M leaves us $14M to spend on 8 players.
Hronek def gonna get more than 6 if he plays like he has been.

Reactions: oceanchild

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hronek def gonna get more than 6 if he plays like he has been.
Which is good for our club because that means he’s a core piece who was worth trading Bo for. Myers clears 6 mil just when Petey and Hronek earn their bumps. Pretty close to a saw-off.
Still need to fill Myers’ minutes though.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The Toews contract is great for us in the short term.

I always thought the “oh well if he gets paid a lot, it automatically means he dominated and was good!” narrative I saw parroted frequently.

That was just ridiculous. It ignored leverage completely.

But now, the long term ceiling is set by Toews. Likely will put him in the mid 6s. And by cap percentage, I think that’s totally fine based on what he’s shown so far.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
It’s why I like the idea of trading Garland for Roslovic straight up. We have to many wingers and can move Hoglander into that spot and it would free up an extra $5m in the off-season. Yes, we loss the trade in the short term, but in the long term we position ourselves to be active in looking for a second competent RHD.

I also think Petey may come in at $12m and Hronek at $7m, we have to see how the season goes.

Reactions: m9

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
It’s why I like the idea of trading Garland for Roslovic straight up. We have to many wingers and can move Hoglander into that spot and it would free up an extra $5m in the off-season. Yes, we loss the trade in the short term, but in the long term we position ourselves to be active in looking for a second competent RHD.

I also think Petey may come in at $12m and Hronek at $7m, we have to see how the season goes.
Should have added with Cole and Myers as UFA, you need to sign 3 to 4 Dmen with Hronek as well. I like Soucey but he needs to prove he is a top 4 this year and doesn’t get it handed to him.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I always thought the “oh well if he gets paid a lot, it automatically means he dominated and was good!” narrative I saw parroted frequently.

But now, the long term ceiling is set by Toews. Likely will put him in the mid 6s. And by cap percentage, I think that’s totally fine based on what he’s shown so far.

Toews contract is one heck of a hometown discount, not sure how much that actually plays as a comp to anyone. He wanted to stay in Colorado and play with Makar.

Reactions: bossram

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
i think there's a good chance this is true but he's also was very good at one point and there's no good reason he's fallen off. i don't think it's health or age (well maybe age). i'm not saying parayko would be a great acquisition -- there's a good chance i'd hate it if it happened -- but the canucks need to be targeting a top 2-3 defender. they're not going to solve their problems by taking other teams castoffs

whether it's parayko or someone else this team needs someone good not someone who "might be a good partner for hughes"
Age, injury related, physical style...all reasons for decline. And even if there is some bounce-back, the contract is horrible, They just paid a ton to get out of OEL. I don't see a reason to add another OEL-level contract, which Parayko could be soon.

Everyone sees the need for a high-end RHD. Parayko is not the guy.

I don't really think Toews will be much of a precedent. It seems widely understood this was a big discount for a guy who really likes his situation.

I also don't think Hronek will get paid into the 7s either, but not because of Toews' deal. He just won't have the counting stats to demand a big contract without PP1 time.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Age, injury related, physical style...all reasons for decline. And even if there is some bounce-back, the contract is horrible, They just paid a ton to get out of OEL. I don't see a reason to add another OEL-level contract, which Parayko could be soon.

Everyone sees the need for a high-end RHD. Parayko is not the guy.

I don't really think Toews will be much of a precedent. It seems widely understood this was a big discount for a guy who really likes his situation.

I also don't think Hronek will get paid into the 7s either, but not because of Toews' deal. He just won't have the counting stats to demand a big contract without PP1 time.
He better slow down his 5on5 points then :p

If he produces at a good clip 5on5 he could creep up there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad