Speculation: Canucks Need to make a Trade

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
If a team trades for a player still in arbitration, does the team acquiring the player receive the 2nd buyout window?

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Canucks still have to sign Virtanen and Gaudette. With LTIR that’s super tight... if even possible. Without it... say goodbye to one of them or both or a cap dump trade or buyout needs to happen.

And since Canucks are over the cap with LTIR and signing the RFAs, ELC bonus overages will hit you next season. Leafs and Oilers went through the same bonus overage issue a few years back.

EDIT: it seems Nucks are hit with 1.7M bonus overage this season anyhow. Probably the same next season.
The 1.9 includes the bonus pay. We are under cap if Ferland is LTIR during off season, which we may be able to do since he was not allowed to be bought out during the first window due to injury.
One question I have is about the 23 man roster. Are we allowed to start the season with 21 or 22? We all know Ferland will be on LTIR during the preseason with his issues anyways.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think it all depends on if they know whether Ferland is LTIRetired and if he is then we could be good, if he isn't then we will probably trade either Baertschi or Sutter closer to the start of the season once people know their cap situations

There aren’t many teams who will cooperate in taking your junk.

At camp time most teams will not have $5M in space other than Detroit, Ottawa, and 2-3 others.

Vancouver can be cap compliant by signing gaudette to $1M and trading Virtanrn for picks/ prospects. I don’t see thrm moving the others unless Vancouver attaches stuff.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If it comes down to needing to trade Virtanen, I’m sure the Devils would be very interested.

While his true value in this market might be closer to BUF 2021 5th, I’d offer AZ 2021 3rd and call it a day.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
As mentioned in the Schmidt trade thread I believe in a normal world, Roussel, Baertschi, Sutter, Beagle should be easy to move, but here it seems every dump is really costly. I however think that teams near capfloor should be open to trading for those guys with the right incentives : let us say Baertschi + 2nd, only 2.4m real dollars for one year, I would do this if I was OTT, maybe it cots a 1st do dump Sutter though. My guess is that buyers are waiting to get higher picks attached
You’d be wrong. None of those guys gets anything and bad teams don’t want overpaid junk. Pipe dream.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Cant they save enough by demoting baerschi and or ericsson?
They get $2m in cap space to bury those guys. It’s still bad. They still need to make room for Pettersson and Hughes expected bonuses for this coming season so they don’t carry over until next season when they’re making huge money instead of ELC’s.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
We should now focus on looking to dump our bad contracts in 1 for 1 trades..

For example and I dont if hes available or if his team needs to save cash but..

Loui Eriksson for Nino Nieddereiter

Vancouver saves 750k on the cap
Carolina saves $4,725,000 cash

A couple of those and were better off and probably save enough to squeeze in Jake and Gaudette's deals
A couple of those unrealistic deals. No wonder I usually avoid this trade board. It’s fantasy land over here.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Buyout window has passed

There’s another buyout window following salary arbitration, so if Jake Virtanen goes through arbitration there will be another opportunity.

That said, I don’t think they want to buy anyone out. With the minor acquisition cost of Schmidt, I think Benning may be more likely to attach asset to a contract to dump them now.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah, as good as the value for Schmidt was, he has a more expensive contract and basically tanked what little cap room they had

There’s only so much the league can take in cap dumps before there won’t be ANY takers left

I have no idea why they helped out Vegas after Betteman handed them a playoff team. Every team should have it in for Vegas, they keep making deals that handcuffs them and others help them out. So, yeah GMs keep their stupidity going strong.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Marc Staal and his $5.7M was dealt with a 2nd. Brandon Sutter and his $4.35M with a 3rd?

Supposedly Detroit thinks Staal can still play well... but the most important thing is that teams simply don't have cap space anymore. And according to the Vegas GM... many just want to hit cap floor (because of losses).

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
Based on the regular season and playoffs, it's a miracle Ferland plays the game again. Maybe Jimbo knows he'd certainly go on LTIR.

Reactions: voxel

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I have no idea why they helped out Vegas after Betteman handed them a playoff team. Every team should have it in for Vegas, they keep making deals that handcuffs them and others help them out. So, yeah GMs keep their stupidity going strong.

Jim Benning needed to save his job. The Vancouver fans were taking their pitchforks out and Schmidt is a good player.

But I see what you are saying. Vancouver could have dumped a stronger division rival for free had they kept their cool.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Jim Benning needed to save his job. The Vancouver fans were taking their pitchforks out and Schmidt is a good player.

But I see what you are saying. Vancouver could have dumped a stronger division rival for free had they kept their cool.

These takes are ridiculous. You don’t think Vegas would’ve found another taker for Schmidt or another way to shed salary to sign Pietrangelo? Yea, Vancouver should’ve stuck it to Vegas and gone and signed Travis Hamonic instead of acquiring a top pairing defenseman for peanuts.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
They get $2m in cap space to bury those guys. It’s still bad. They still need to make room for Pettersson and Hughes expected bonuses for this coming season so they don’t carry over until next season when they’re making huge money instead of ELC’s.
That's already accounted for and what brings them to 1.9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad