Speculation: Canucks Need to make a Trade

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Carolina got a 1st for paying $3.815m in real dollars to Marleau. And that was pre-covid shutdown whereas many teams are tightening their belts this season. I suspect it would take more then a 2nd to dump Baertschi.
At least a 1st. But it will be more. Or just trade a more valuable player like the Islanders did.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Yes but for example Baertschi is a reclamation project basically and if you re OTT or DET, why not get a 2nd for free + a guy you can move up and down the lineup while hoping he gets back to what VAN hoped he would be ?

Schmidt has a M-NTC (10 team lists) so Benning might have been able to offer less seeing as acquiring him took 75% of his free cash. Besides as you mention Sven, Brandon Sutter comes off the books next year. Is Pearson and Edler tempted to sign a team friendly contract, short term? You hope that guys needing contracts don't out perform Schmidt in 20/21.
I'll give Benning credit if he knew that a rival was getting Schmidt for less but placing 75% of your cap while still needing to move out your own players is a question mark for me.
That 3rd is a 2022 pick so there is some value to credit Benning for.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Schmidt has a M-NTC (10 team lists) so Benning might have been able to offer less seeing as acquiring him took 75% of his free cash. Besides as you mention Sven, Brandon Sutter comes off the books next year. Is Pearson and Edler tempted to sign a team friendly contract, short term? You hope that guys needing contracts don't out perform Schmidt in 20/21.
I'll give Benning credit if he knew that a rival was getting Schmidt for less but placing 75% of your cap while still needing to move out your own players is a question mark for me.
That 3rd is a 2022 pick so there is some value to credit Benning for.

Well Schmidt Holtby is in my opinion an improvement over Tanev Markstrom, even though Schmidt has not played a full season in a while (like Tanev). But I agree some signings are puzzling (Myers, Ferland, Roussel, Sutter...) and are problematic right now already. I think Sutter / Baertschi could be moved as mentioned above and Lind + Hoglander should have their chance to play.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

Canucks have RFA's in Virtanen and Gaudette still need to be done.
Virtanen will get 2.5/3m+ in arb.
Gaudette is looking at 1.5m.
Looks like the Canucks are basically forced to make a trade, or use Buyout window #2 to get rid of Sutter.
Either or,
What is the next deal potentially going to be for the Canucks, Thoughts? Suggestions?

But but Virtanen is worth Gallagher + 3rd lmao

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
There is still a second buyout window right?

Sutter buyout saves them $2M. Baertschi buyout saves them $1.7M

After the arbitration case with Virtanen is settled, yes.... only catch is you can evidently only buy out players with a $4M+ cap hit

Sutter would be the only real option there

Absolute last resort to this fan, got enough overpaid crap and dead cap on the books for next summer when we need to do new deals for Pettersson, Hughes & Demko. We'll see if I get my wish though, I think it's gonna be a challenge to move even a heavily retained Sutter in this market

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Canucks have RFA's in Virtanen and Gaudette still need to be done.
Virtanen will get 2.5/3m+ in arb.
Gaudette is looking at 1.5m.
Looks like the Canucks are basically forced to make a trade, or use Buyout window #2 to get rid of Sutter.
Either or,
What is the next deal potentially going to be for the Canucks, Thoughts? Suggestions?

Bury Baertschi and Loui and you have the 4 million to sign Gaudette and Virtanen pretty comfortably.
All the rest will be on two way deals.

There will certainly be other moves as we will need 4 players added and will be at the cap. Two of them will be Joulevi and Hoglander. Depending on the Ferland situation we may be OK as it is, but Benning will still be pretty active I'm sure.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
After the arbitration case with Virtanen is settled, yes.... only catch is you can evidently only buy out players with a $4M+ cap hit

Sutter would be the only real option there

Absolute last resort to this fan, got enough overpaid crap and dead cap on the books for next summer when we need to do new deals for Pettersson, Hughes & Demko. We'll see if I get my wish though, I think it's gonna be a challenge to move even a heavily retained Sutter in this market
I'd way rather retain 50% and pay an asset to move Sutter than buy him out. We can't just push the cap problems downhill into future years.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
I don’t think the Canucks are in much trouble cap space wise to re-sign their RFA’s. They’ll just bury a couple contracts in the minors as well as Ferland’s likely LTIR. The problem is if they want to add another piece to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad