Speculation: Canucks Need to make a Trade

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Canucks have RFA's in Virtanen and Gaudette still need to be done.
Virtanen will get 2.5/3m+ in arb.
Gaudette is looking at 1.5m.
Looks like the Canucks are basically forced to make a trade, or use Buyout window #2 to get rid of Sutter.
Either or,
What is the next deal potentially going to be for the Canucks, Thoughts? Suggestions?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
the canucks shouldn't add 4.5m past the up-comming season to their cap, if not for true core pieces. they need all the cap space and cap flexibility next off-season to pay and sign pettersson and quinn long term.

if you think the cap crunch you see this off-season is already the peak, you are wrong. next off-season will be worse because plenty of gms aren't resolving their cap issues right now. they are all punting them to next off-season. moving cap next year will probably be twice as hard as right now.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Trade Horvat for piece's like Pelletier + 1st 21 + ? Fill more needs for the Flames, we'll deal Backlund or Ryan out

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
As mentioned in the Schmidt trade thread I believe in a normal world, Roussel, Baertschi, Sutter, Beagle should be easy to move, but here it seems every dump is really costly. I however think that teams near capfloor should be open to trading for those guys with the right incentives : let us say Baertschi + 2nd, only 2.4m real dollars for one year, I would do this if I was OTT, maybe it cots a 1st do dump Sutter though. My guess is that buyers are waiting to get higher picks attached

Reactions: HockeyWooot

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think it all depends on if they know whether Ferland is LTIRetired and if he is then we could be good, if he isn't then we will probably trade either Baertschi or Sutter closer to the start of the season once people know their cap situations

Yeah I don’t think the Nucks need to panic trade until Ferland situation is known.

With that said... even Baertschi plus 2nd for nothing doesn’t sound enticing for most teams. I suspect a buyout will need to happen.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What a bizarre off-season when you're looking to unload guys like Gaudette and Virtanen and will be lucky to get half the value you would have a year ago. I'd be looking at teams like Florida and Nashville to pay the most simply because they have space and are in win-now mode. Even then, it'll be harder to unload Virtanen at $3 million then you'd think. You're probably hoping to get a 2nd or a player on an ELC at this point. The market sucks for sellers.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
As mentioned in the Schmidt trade thread I believe in a normal world, Roussel, Baertschi, Sutter, Beagle should be easy to move, but here it seems every dump is really costly. I however think that teams near capfloor should be open to trading for those guys with the right incentives : let us say Baertschi + 2nd, only 2.4m real dollars for one year, I would do this if I was OTT, maybe it cots a 1st do dump Sutter though. My guess is that buyers are waiting to get higher picks attached

Carolina got a 1st for paying $3.815m in real dollars to Marleau. And that was pre-covid shutdown whereas many teams are tightening their belts this season. I suspect it would take more then a 2nd to dump Baertschi.

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah I don’t think the Nucks need to panic trade until Ferland situation is known.

With that said... even Baertschi plus 2nd for nothing doesn’t sound enticing for most teams. I suspect a buyout will need to happen.
Yaa the market for players is crazy we might have to do Baertschi and Sutter both at 50% plus a second to get rid of them

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I think it all depends on if they know whether Ferland is LTIRetired and if he is then we could be good, if he isn't then we will probably trade either Baertschi or Sutter closer to the start of the season once people know their cap situations
closer to the start of the season it will be close to impossible to move cap. look at the transaction history of this off-season, where teams off loaded cap:
- allen to mtl
- kapanen to pit
- murray to nj
- schmidt to van

there is a clear trend of cap space becoming more and more valuable. the teams who moved out cap early got the best deals. it's down hill from here.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
How much money do those two realistically get as RFA's ? Certainly more than $2M but how much more ? Someone like Baertschi is probably enough if they can find a taker which won't be cheap .

By the way Roussel and Beagle both have two years left and pretty extensive NTC's . Thats not easy to move even in a normal year. In a year like this ? Forget it.

When all the RFA's are signed every team will have hit the capfloor so no reason to add money unless something major is added.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Carolina got a 1st for paying $3.815m in real dollars to Marleau. And that was pre-covid shutdown whereas many teams are tightening their belts this season. I suspect it would take more then a 2nd to dump Baertschi.

Baertschi would only cost 1.6m in real dollars to buy out. Less than half of Marleau.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
We should now focus on looking to dump our bad contracts in 1 for 1 trades..

For example and I dont if hes available or if his team needs to save cash but..

Loui Eriksson for Nino Nieddereiter

Vancouver saves 750k on the cap
Carolina saves $4,725,000 cash

A couple of those and were better off and probably save enough to squeeze in Jake and Gaudette's deals

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
If it were me.....

Either retain up to half on Sutter.... might interest someone at a heavily reduced salary

Or.... and lots of Canuck fans wouldn't like this.... "sell high" on Pearson. He's probably gone in a year anyway, he's got a ring or two, decent two way middle six type with a decent contract. Any other year he might get you a decent pick, but probably not this one. Get a mid to late pick and I probably take it

Find a couple cheap guys in FA who've slipped between the cracks, give Baertschi another look, see what you have in Hoglander, etc

Doing one or both of those moves probably gets you compliant for opening night

Long story short, I would not pay out the wazoo to move out deadweight, and any kind of buyout would be an absolute last resort as my priority would be Pettersson/Hughes/Demko next summer with the Luongo recapture and plenty of bad contracts still on the books, and weaponizing what's left (if anything) to poke around for any bargains made available by either expansion or next summer's cap crunch

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Yeah, as good as the value for Schmidt was, he has a more expensive contract and basically tanked what little cap room they had

There’s only so much the league can take in cap dumps before there won’t be ANY takers left

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not sure why they haven't announced a buyout for Eriksson yet.

Let me check buyout...

Oh. Oh no.

There is a second buyout window this year, for teams that have had players take them to arbitration. Vancouver will get another window, as Virtanen has taken them to Arb.

There is a second buyout period open only to teams who had arbitration cases. It begins after their last arbitration case is settled, and is restricted to contracts with cap hits of $4,000,000 or more for this season only. For most teams this will happen in late October or early November this year.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There is a second buyout window this year, for teams that have had players take them to arbitration. Vancouver will get another window, as Virtanen has taken them to Arb.

There is a second buyout period open only to teams who had arbitration cases. It begins after their last arbitration case is settled, and is restricted to contracts with cap hits of $4,000,000 or more for this season only. For most teams this will happen in late October or early November this year.

Eriksson contract buyout is ugly as hell. Saves them like 400k this season.

Caphit of a Eriksson buyout is $5,666,667 this year $3,666,667 next year . After that two years of $666,667 but the first two years are not worth it. Although i think this might be off because this seasons bonus money already has been paid IRC .

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Eriksson contract buyout is ugly as hell. Saves them like 400k this season.

Caphit of a Eriksson buyout is $5,666,667 this year $3,666,667 next year . After that two years of $666,667 but the first two years are not worth it. Although i think this might be off because this seasons bonus money already has been paid IRC .

Noting, I did not comment on buying out Ericksson's contract, or if it was wise to do so... just that Vancouver has a window to buyout someone. That being said, it would make far more sense to buyout Sutter, if it comes to that.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
They should be able to fit under the cap without too much trouble once you take LTIR and things like that into account, it really is not that much of a crunch, certainly not enough to force any real bad or desperate moves.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They should be able to fit under the cap without too much trouble once you take LTIR and things like that into account, it really is not that much of a crunch, certainly not enough to force any real bad or desperate moves.

They still have some waiver exempt players they can send down in paper transactions before putting Ferland on LTIR to make this all capcompliant. Shouldn't be too hard unless Virtanen gets award too much.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Canucks still have to sign Virtanen and Gaudette. With LTIR that’s super tight... if even possible. Without it... say goodbye to one of them or both or a cap dump trade or buyout needs to happen.

And since Canucks are over the cap with LTIR and signing the RFAs, ELC bonus overages will hit you next season. Leafs and Oilers went through the same bonus overage issue a few years back.

EDIT: it seems Nucks are hit with 1.7M bonus overage this season anyhow. Probably the same next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad