Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose to Devils 2-5 (Horvat x 2)

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I texted in, the NJ broadcast talked about how after the first 2 games the team came together and have played really aggressive since with good results. We're 10 games in, and our results have been horse shit. Same deal as last year. What the f*** is happening in our room right now? I look up and down our bench and I don't see any urgency. I don't see much fight. I don't see this "winning culture" that we have so desperately tried to build thru Free Agency for so many years.

If this team hasn't figured it out yet, they simply never will. Same old bullshit relying on our goaltending rather than the defense. Honestly, I wonder if our choice to play man-to-man coverage is a bigger indictment on coaching or that the players can't play zone? I don't like that strategy and guys look f***ing WAY lost out there.

Personally, if you are going to suck this bad for this long it would be comforting to know we are doing it on purpose.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Time to reunite Miller and Pettersson. Throw Kuz on the line and get the most skilled players on 1 line. Only way to turn around this season is to have a dominant scoring line that plays 23 min every night.

Others have mentioned this before but this team is really the polar opposite of the Raptors. FVV has more leadership and toughness in his pinky then this entire team has all together.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

360_F_525253176_PBDk06GGdQaARAsBZwdLi9aZxKWMR6Uh.jpg

Reactions: Ozone

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
They just don't play as a team. Just a group going through the motions feeling sad for themselves.

I don't see guys making sacrifices for the greater good. I see guys playing to bump their numbers, get the cheque, and get the f*** out.

Perhaps we'll magically figure it out next year.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Time to reunite Miller and Pettersson. Throw Kuz on the line and get the most skilled players on 1 line. Only way to turn around this season is to have a dominant scoring line that plays 23 min every night.

Others have mentioned this before but this team is really the polar opposite of the Raptors. FVV has more leadership and toughness in his pinky then this entire team has all together.
The Raptors are a well run organization from top to bottom. Canucks are a poorly run organization from top to bottom and the results show it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm finding it almost impossible to get too worked up about how the Canucks play. They'll win a couple; lose a couple; but the end result will be much the same.

They're weren't good enough last season; and they're not good enough this year. They are what they are. So what's the point in getting upset? Mediocrity has its own rewards.

If I was Boudreau I'd be trying just about anything. How about benching OEL and Myers and inserting a pairing of Rathbone and Burroughs instead? At least you know you're going to get an effort.

If Elliot Friedmann is to believed, this Canuck dressing-room is riddled with cliques....maybe that explains some of their lifeless efforts.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Anaheim is winning..late in the 3rd

If they win …I think that puts us as the worst team in the league.

Reactions: 604

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
If Elliot Friedmann is to believed, this Canuck dressing-room is riddled with cliques....maybe that explains some of their lifeless efforts.
This is why management needs their own guy in the room. By all accounts, there's a disconnect between Boudreau and the front office.

If there are cliques, I'd guess that it's Horvat/Pearson/Boeser at the very least on one side, and probably Miller/Garland~ on the other. That's just a guess, though. If that's the case, how do you move forward effectively with the room divided?

Reactions: MS

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
On the plus side, Leos vs. Stamps should be a gooder. :-p

This is why management needs their own guy in the room. By all accounts, there's a disconnect between Boudreau and the front office.

If there are cliques, I'd guess that it's Horvat/Pearson/Boeser at the very least on one side, and probably Miller/Garland~ on the other. That's just a guess, though. If that's the case, how do you move forward effectively with the room divided?
Bring in Mark Messier to set the room straight. Hire him as an assistant GM and get him to set the culture of this group. The guy won in Edmonton and NYR and I'm sure that he'd like the chance to win in Vancouver to complete his legacy.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I’m not giving this sh*t owner a freaking dime until the demonstrated (not just stated) goal is nothing less than the Stanley Cup.
BE the 2017 Avs. Then BE the 2022 Avs.
Why do we keep being invested in a team that has second round upset AT BEST as the payoff?

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
On the plus side, Leos vs. Stamps should be a gooder. :-p

Bring in Mark Messier to set the room straight. Hire him as an assistant GM and get him to set the culture of this group. The guy won in Edmonton and NYR and I'm sure that he'd like the chance to win in Vancouver to complete his legacy.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be joking.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
The Raptors are a well run organization from top to bottom. Canucks are a poorly run organization from top to bottom and the results show it.

Thats been obvious for quite some time now

NBA is really fun to follow this year. 8-14 contenders, young stars taking over the league, tire fires and circuses for the media darling teams and a generational talent is coming in next year. The Jazz might be Vegas 2.0

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Do people really think firing the coach again is the real solution here? This team is just very flawed, in terms of roster construction, team chemistry and mental toughness. Without Demko playing at a Vezina level this year, it's all getting exposed.

It's just not a good team. They'll probably go on a winning stream if/when Demko gets hot, but at the end of the day it's a mediocre team at best.

Tired of hearing it from the apologists with the excuses, not like other teams in the NHL don't deal with injuries, bad puck luck, etc.

Either this management team has to pull a couple of rabbits out of a hat with a couple of homerun moves or you're going to be stuck in no-man's land for the foreseeable future.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
When it mattered the Devils just exposed the Canucks in transition. Soaked up a little pressure and then broke out and left the Canuck defense in the dust. Devils playing in 5 man units while the Canucks reduced to individual efforts. Get those situations and, try as you might, eventually the more you try, the more things break down and the more bad things happen.

Good

Horvat -maybe reaching here but at least he scored and won some faceoffs.

Bad

Pettersson - shoddy passing and playmaking on the PP. Shots were generally wild and just became blown chances. Nothing smooth about his play right now. Trying to force plays and very much contributing to the general confusion.

Hughes - another poor effort on the PP. Frankly Rathbone looked better the other night. Him and Schenn had rough night in their end and at times left the front of net wide open

Podkolzin - got a little better in the third but way too erratic in his play. Still not in sync with anyone. Pretty much the same story with Hoglander. See the Devils playing together with one another while Podkolzin and others are not working together. Lots of people getting spotted in and out of the line up and it hard to get any continuity.

Pearson - got little better late but for the most part struggled. Getting penalties b/c his lack of speed has him reaching all the time. The days of playing that game - delay the guy with the stick- are over and Pearson hurt by that.

Joshua - maybe his poorest game to date. Looked like a minor leaguer and probably is. Struggled along the boards in every zone. If he wasn't concussed, Di Guiseppe might be a better option.

Ugly

Myers -just couldn't handle the Devils speed. Got caught flat footed too much and puck watching. Head didn't look in the game - especially early on. Stick handling also an issue. Poor back check by forwards left him trying to handle too much. But whatever he did have to handle, he did it badly. Clumsy effort

OEL - looked lost at times and not ready to play. With Myers providing huge gaps defensively. Being asked to do too much at this juncture in his career.

Others

Demko - couldn't be blamed on the goals and kept score reasonable with some good saves. However, again looked shaky with the constant looking behind for pucks leaking through.

Studnicka - thought there was a lot of stop and stop hockey (like others) and not much flow in his play. Had the one good shift where his line created chances but otherwise not noticeable. About as expected and there appears to be no deliverance in this player

Stillman - more and more looks like your time a dozen replacement player. Nothing really bad but nothing really good. Just sort of there.

Bear. - ok, moved the puck at times well and played 18 mins without any of the huge gaffes we were seeing from others. (maybe helped by match ups) Did show some willingness to move up and try to create some offense.

NJD is another team that was willing to suffer in the near term to build a good team. It takes time to gather talent and then perfect your systems. Process usually take a number of years as you gradually get consistency in your systems and start to acquire the players that further develop those systems. Another contrast that illuminates the slip shod way the Canucks have done it. Always looking for the short cut, the temporary fix. Leaves us with what we got and what we have to look forward to.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Do people really think firing the coach again is the real solution here? This team is just very flawed, in terms of roster construction, team chemistry and mental toughness. Without Demko playing at a Vezina level this year, it's all getting exposed.

It's just not a good team.
I think the majority realize it’s the personnel at this point.

I don’t think Bruce is the answer regardless.

Reactions: quat and Nucker101

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Even Aquilini must know how much a player like Bedard would bring to Vancouver. Right now I'd be burning up the phone lines and seeing what teams are willing to offer for Horvat before he goes down with an injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad