Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose 4-3 (OT) vs Wild

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Everybody knew the contracts for Myers and OEL weren't going to age well......and so far this season it looks like they've fallen off a cliff.

But the real worry is Miller's contract. It doesn't even kick for another season and then has seven more years to run. If this run of games is any indication, that contract might end up being up there with Louie Eriksson. He's been that bad through five games.

Reactions: wetcoast

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Time to start shopping Boeser in the trades forum. Mention his “hot start” to the season, look at his PPG.
There’s an Isles’ fan that can’t seem to differentiate between the fantasy board and reality and gets really angry when fans ask for their defensemen. I suggest asking for Boeser for Pulock.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I F****in hate when defender lay infront of the crease, or to defend a 2v1. Who is teaching them this trash? It dates back to Edlers days of crawling on the ice. Almost never see another team do this, and when they do, it's a one time play, not an actual strategy.

WTH is Demko looking at his own net for? Our 3 best players from last year have yet to show up.

EP has been okay... but the same problems continue. Still a weak skater, just can't handle any contact without turning the puck over, or at best losing it. He needs to completely dangle anyone to get around them, one brush of the shoulder, and he's outta the play. Brutal shot accuracy, someone tell him that crossbars and looking to the rafters don't count as shots. Couldn't hit water if the ice melted.

Pearson has lived in the box so far this season

Boeser is barely a warm body. Complete non factor.

Team has been playing well for the majority of each game, just by far the worst in the league at anything other than 5v5. Should be the simplest things to address, and they still haven't figured it out, dates back multiple years.

Bo is getting it done, best player so far.

Despite a lot of poor play, the wins are right there for the taking. Team should be undefeated right now. Even if one guy steps up, we can be right back in the fold, but the clock is running fast.

Reactions: B-rock and Breakers

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
There’s an Isles’ fan that can’t seem to differentiate between the fantasy board and reality and gets really angry when fans ask for their defensemen. I suggest asking for Boeser for Pulock.
I think I know who you are talking about. He kind of has a right to be pissed by the Oilers and Sens fans offers

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Has Rutherford even set foot in Vancouver since the start of the season?

Or is he still in Florida or Pittsburgh or wherever the hell he lives on the east coast.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Demko is -4.60 GSAA. Ouch.

Last season he was the difference in these low margin games. So far this year he's not.

It was always going to be tough considering the injuries on an already below average defence, but he's not dialed in at all. Don't think he is tracking the puck or moving particularly well. Generally seems a bit frantic. For example, the OT save he made was great but his feet were so jumpy - he was basically already down in the butterfly so not sure how the movement of his blocker arm was enough to rotate him that much. Last season he probably just sits there calmly and at least has a shot at saving the rebound.

Lots of uncharacteristic mistakes too, like the SUPER EARLY post drop the other day when the shooter was at the FACEOFF DOT!!!

Even when we get healthier, I expect the sledding to remain tough because Demko is a better known commodity around the league with teams doing better and more thorough scouting on him.

He'll get there eventually but if this is a development year again we're not even going to win the games we won last year.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Only
Yeah, it's a lot harder to move a guy like this now than 10 or even 5 years ago. And without Jim Benning employed as another team's GM.

I was hoping a guy like Provorov would struggle under Torts in Philly and they'd make a desperation move of similar salaries there. But he's doing the opposite.

Only team I could see possibly biting on him right now is NJ.

He's basically devolved into a Ryan Spooner or something like that. He has really nice hands and if you put him as the 3rd wheel with top players he can make passes and keep the play moving well enough to stumble to a soft, sheltered 40-50 points.

His ability to drive play or generate primary points at ES has totally disappeared. He's slow, he doesn't compete, and he doesn't even shoot the puck really anymore. Right now he's a $2 million depth skill player. And if he doesn't find something in himself he's going to be out of the league before he's 30.

I’d be phoning Anaheim, Buffalo and Arizona to see if we can get an asset for Boeser, as they are the only teams with cap space. The hope that he can return to the player he was is looking bleaker everyday.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Has Rutherford even set foot in Vancouver since the start of the season?

Or is he still in Florida or Pittsburgh or wherever the hell he lives on the east coast.
If he has half a wit hes been here the whole time, this weather has been ridiculous and disturbing

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I'd be stunned if any of those very cheap rebuilding teams had even the slightest bit of interest in an overpaid complimentary scorer.
As long as he continues racking up points despite mediocre play I think he still carries value due to the usual draft position/hot start to career/good hockey guy/vaguely reminiscent of the golden Brett purely by marketing standards deal that pervades hockey

But because of the cap situation around the league it wont be good value. Id definitely try to move him and use the cap space elsewhere (kuzmenko/defence)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As long as he continues racking up points despite mediocre play I think he still carries value due to the usual draft position/hot start to career/good hockey guy/vaguely reminiscent of the golden Brett purely by marketing standards deal that pervades hockey

But because of the cap situation around the league it wont be good value. Id definitely try to move him and use the cap space elsewhere (kuzmenko/defence)

I don't see it anymore. He's tipped past age 25 which is always the point at which all the magic potential disappears.

If he was on a reasonable contract, maybe? But at his cap hit as a soft scoring winger I just can't envision a team paying assets for him. The league has become so much smarter in the last 10 years.

Dylan Strome was from the same draft and not entirely dissimilar from Boeser as a player and Chicago walked away for nothing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Oh gawd boys these absolutes are getting a little hard to read. 3 games ago Horvat needed to go now he's back to being our rock at C.

You cant win without your best players playing well and unfortunately from pay scale down

Miller = D
Hughes = C-
Pettersson = B+
OEL = C+
Boeser = D
Myers = C-
Horvat = C+
Demko = C-
Garland = C-
Michayev = C

3 Players creating positive results....not good enough but it wont continue......will it?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Only

I’d be phoning Anaheim, Buffalo and Arizona to see if we can get an asset for Boeser, as they are the only teams with cap space. The hope that he can return to the player he was is looking bleaker everyday.
Arizona would want a 1st+ to take him

Ducks I don't think they bite

Buffalo might be a decent bet

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Definitely worse than the post 94 era.
Unless they wake up it could get even worse then it is now. OEL Poolman Miller Boeser Pearson are in the team for 2+ years.

Kuz, horvat and Pettersson are all UFAs this year or next. More imagine those three decide they have had enough losing and leave while the others on long contacts stay as they are not tradable.

Scary. Let's hope they nightmare doesn't come true.

Reactions: tyhee

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I still have absolutely no idea what to make of this start. It's one of the weirdest stretches of games I can ever remember seeing.

This is where I’m at.

They’ve been the better team for the majority of each game they’ve played. Statistically speaking, most games like that probably go their way. But they aren’t catching a single break, and they’ve got a massive case of the yips once they have a lead.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This is where I’m at.

They’ve been the better team for the majority of each game they’ve played. Statistically speaking, most games like that probably go their way. But they aren’t catching a single break, and they’ve got a massive case of the yips once they have a lead.

Bruce Bump: mediocre play backed by unsustainable luck and great goaltending

Bruce Dump: mediocre play backed by unsustainable bad luck and poor goaltending

The team is what it is and was. We just have to hope goaltending gets hot and the bounces even out.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Pfft... Boeser for Dobson more likely

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is where I’m at.

Pretty much.

I think if you replayed this road trip again and equaled out some of the breaks and gave us .900 goaltending we're 2-3 or 3-2. I mean, we were 4-0-1 after 40 minutes on this trip. Outside of a couple key players, the team overall didn't really play that badly. This is nothing like the start of 20-21 when we were just horrific and being blown apart by everyone other than Ottawa.

The points blown on this trip may absolutely f*** them later on in the season, but I'm not prepared to say 'We suck!' or 'this what to expect going forward' based on what happened on this very bizarre road trip.

Our next 9 games are pretty easy and mostly at home and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us go 6-3 and be right back at .500. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the team is broken mentally by this and spiral into a coaching change by November. I literally have no idea.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Our best players are severely underachieving.
Miller got paid, and now he looks like he's taking a extended vacation.
Boeser looks like he's trained with Alex Chaisson in the offseason.
Demko looks human again. Doesn't look like he is tracking the puck well.
Hughes at times, a lot of times, looks lost out there. The defense is non existent right now.

On a positive note, Horvat looks like he's picked things up from the awful first few games that he's had.
Pettersson although still weak on his skates, is our best forward this far.

Although it's still early, things aren't looking good for the Canucks right now. They keep finding ways to lose, rather than win. Hopefully the boys can get their shit together and start simplifying their game. I'm not overly worried about the slow start but certain players such as Boeser's game, I find concerning.

This team is absolute trash defensively. I really hope Allvin is working the phones because Myers and Larssons contract aren't aging well at all. Hughes is missing Tanev like crazy, and the others are all 6, 7, 8, 9's on any contending teams. With a average playing Demko, this team will only get more exposed.

In the meantime hopefully the boys put this one past them, regroup and start to get things together.

Thus far this season is shaping out to be exactly like the last one, where most likely they will come out flat in the long run. Ohwell, keep your heads up fans and cheer on the next one.

Go Nucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad