Post-Game Talk: Canucks Lose 4-3 (OT) vs Wild

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
How much of this is simply Demko not bailing the team out like he did countless times last season?
I mean, it's not that he's "not bailing the team out", it's that he actively has been the worse goalie in most of the games this year. Literally no team is gonna regularly win with .861 goaltending.

But yes, with Demko performing like he did last year, this team probably has a winning record.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Our best players are severely underachieving mostly because they don’t have the support they need, and so they gotta focus on multiple aspects instead of just what makes them good.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Our next 9 games are pretty easy and mostly at home and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us go 6-3 and be right back at .500. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the team is broken mentally by this and spiral into a coaching change by November. I literally have no idea.

This is the thing that sticks with me. They looked very good for large parts of the road trip but seem so in their own heads and get punished for mistakes at the worst times.

It's also obvious that the defence is just not going to hold up over the course of the season. Rutherford even admitted that if Demko wasn't standing on his head, they wouldn't have won as many games. We're seeing that right now. Hughes already looks exhausted and his playing time is increasing. Burroughs is the only guy on defence that looks good handling more minutes. So if they still want to compete this season, something needs to happen there. Just putting Poolman in isn't going to fix anything. Playing Rathbone probably won't fix anything but the coach refuses to even try that.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Some of the moves the new management has made... are truly reminiscent of Jimbo.

Signing Boeser was a mistake, especially for that price. He has been an anchor on any line he has been on for the last few years and continues it... frustrating.

It really feels like the late regime hasn't changed too much with the silly signings this off season where the defense wasn't even looked at. Same old, same old for the Canucks

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Some of the moves the new management has made... are truly reminiscent of Jimbo.

Signing Boeser was a mistake, especially for that price. He has been an anchor on any line he has been on for the last few years and continues it... frustrating.

It really feels like the late regime hasn't changed too much with the silly signings this off season where the defense wasn't even looked at. Same old, same old for the Canucks
I'm still a bit dumbfounded that a guy with the reputation of being a trading 'gunslinger' like Rutherford, basically doubled down on the same players that he inherited from Benning. Frankly I was stunned that they failed to trade both Boeser and Miller and then reupped both.

The real failure right now is with the Canucks so called' leadership group' That should include the likes of Miller, Boeser, Pearson, OEL and Myers. But they've been mostly trash this year.

I understand that the cap crunch around the league makes some of these guys 'untradeable'....but Allvin and Rjutherford should have tried a lot harder.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
This is 100% not a coaching problem, yes, he deserves criticism for his overtime choices, but this core has been doing this for a year after year, there’s something seriously wrong with the dressing room, multiple reports about this now, I’m buying into it.

Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room

need a spy camera in the room or something. a trade needs to happen

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
f*** it, Lets do this next game!

Load up time baby!

Miller Petey Boeser
Kuzmenko Horvat Podkolzin
Garland lazar Mikheyev
Pearson aman hoglander
Joshua (sub for grit)

Load it up!

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Biggest question is why was Boeser out in OT???? And why not call a timeout in the last part of the late PP and keep the first unit out???? They looked like they might do something, where as the second group was entirely useless. Might give some credit to the team for putting in a decent effort on the end of of road trip but again couldn't hold a lead.

Good

Aman - showed some touch on his goal and is maybe their best skating center. Covers so much ice and is competing along the boards well.

Joshua - showed ability on two of the goals and ok in the run of the play. Good job on the forecheck along with Lazar

Burroughs - most mobile of the defensemen. When you factor in play in their zone Burroughs >>>Hughes

Horvat - another solid effort. Emerging as our best overall forward after a tough start

Not Good

Pettersson - back to what he was doing at the beginning of last season. Trying to do too much. Over handling the puck and forcing passes and shots. Needs to let the play come to him and make the simple play. Effort is there and, I guess he is trying to carry the team, but creating a lot of disorganization all over the ice. Shot widely inaccurate most of the time

Miller - is he in shape???? Lags at the end of every shift and then starts to make desperation plays to get out of trouble. Plays like this and we are sunk well into the future.

Myers - clumsy effort. Getting pushed into defensive hockey in his own end. Best when he is moving up to keep puck in the other end and breaking up plays in the neutral zone or at the top of the defensive zone.

Hughes - another very bad game in his end. Just getting man-handled and shoved out of the play. Also mishandling the puck which is allowing the forecheck to get in on him and forcing him into puck battles. His play has been huge in causing the problems the team is having.

Pearson - makes a couple of plays a game but too slow in the run of the play and taking way too many penalties. Not suited to the high speed nature of the present NHL.

Schenn - looked bagged and unable to provide the protection or back up coverage Hughes needs

Ugly

Boeser - hard to say this, and certainly gives no pleasure to say it, but doubt he could be effective in the AHL at this point. Buy-out (next off-season) could substantially reduce his cap hit (get him down to 2,217, 677 against the cap) and might have to considered moving ahead.

Canucks again got bounced around with little push back. You wonder how long Stillman will be out.
I would consider Miller, Hughes and Pearson borderline ugly.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Demko is -4.60 GSAA. Ouch.

Last season he was the difference in these low margin games. So far this year he's not.

It was always going to be tough considering the injuries on an already below average defence, but he's not dialed in at all. Don't think he is tracking the puck or moving particularly well. Generally seems a bit frantic. For example, the OT save he made was great but his feet were so jumpy - he was basically already down in the butterfly so not sure how the movement of his blocker arm was enough to rotate him that much. Last season he probably just sits there calmly and at least has a shot at saving the rebound.

Lots of uncharacteristic mistakes too, like the SUPER EARLY post drop the other day when the shooter was at the FACEOFF DOT!!!

Even when we get healthier, I expect the sledding to remain tough because Demko is a better known commodity around the league with teams doing better and more thorough scouting on him.

He'll get there eventually but if this is a development year again we're not even going to win the games we won last year.
Demko is trending the wrong direction

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
It's a game of momentum, we have skilled players who can score but we don't have the gritty attitude to help keep the other teams skilled players discouraged from trying to score, we don't take anyone's will away, we don't make them tired or wear them down. It's a mental thing. You can't just skill your way through games and not take the physical and mental momentum away from the other team at the same time.

Even Tampa's highly skilled teams have grit. Stammer throws the body, Point is scrappy and is willing to drop the mitts, Kucherov has a bit of anger in his game, Hedman is a 6'6 giant, they can wear you down while scoring.

Reactions: B-rock

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Everybody knew the contracts for Myers and OEL weren't going to age well......and so far this season it looks like they've fallen off a cliff.

But the real worry is Miller's contract. It doesn't even kick for another season and then has seven more years to run. If this run of games is any indication, that contract might end up being up there with Louie Eriksson. He's been that bad through five games.
At least Eriksson was decent defensively. I'll give it a bit more time, though. Miller is better than this.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Horvat Raise (5.5mil+?)
Kuzmenko money
Hoglander

What gives? Who's getting traded? I guess Garland is going, unfortunately. That sucks. Because this guy turned into a solid 200ft player.

While we have him and hopefully he stays, we are lucky to have strong two-way wingers like Garland, Podkolzin and Micheyev.

And Podkolzin is a beast, let's face it we all have waited a long time for this type of strong player that he is growing into.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It's a game of momentum, we have skilled players who can score but we don't have the gritty attitude to help keep the other teams skilled players discouraged from trying to score, we don't take anyone's will away, we don't make them tired or wear them down. It's a mental thing. You can't just skill your way through games and not take the physical and mental momentum away from the other team at the same time.

Even Tampa's highly skilled teams have grit. Stammer throws the body, Point is scrappy and is willing to drop the mitts, Kucherov has a bit of anger in his game, Hedman is a 6'6 giant, they can wear you down while scoring.
Our team is a joke. ✅

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Boeser really gotta peace
Oh I wish, I'm so pissed at that contract. If he walked for nothing, we would be better off. It pains me to say that, honestly.

edit * RFA, even better, we could have gotten a pick, perhaps even a nice pick. Lots of odd thinking GMs, scouts out there

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Oh I wish, I'm so pissed at that contract. If he walked for nothing, we would be better off. It pains me to say that, honestly.

edit * RFA, even better, we could have gotten a pick, perhaps even a nice pick. Lots of odd thinking GMs, scouts out there
We all want Brock to succeed. I just wanted him to do it for the Wild.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2