Rumor: Canucks interested in Ferland

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kind of surprises me the amount of positivity in this thread for Ferland. The amount of animosity towards him from Canucks fans during the Flames/Canucks series was a lot. Canucks fans hated Ferland because he basically pushed that Canucks team around, no problem. That was the series where Canucks were up 3-1 in that Game 6 in 2015 trying to force Game 7, had a 4-3 lead into the 3rd, and lost 7-4.

But I'm on board the Ferland train, too. I like him as a player. He's a big, skilled dude that doesn't take any ****.

I certainly don't recall that, not on here at least. Any 'animosity' was typically reserved for Willie Desjardins and by extension Jim Benning who's incompetence was the prime reason Ferland was so effective that series.

For this news though Ferland would be a good piece to add to the teams top six if he could be had at an appropriate price but we really shouldn't be competing for a top deadline day acquisition who could simply walk in the summer. You have to think there will be contenders and playoff teams willing to part with their 1st rounder simply to rent Ferland for a few weeks.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ferland is a nice pipe dream but I’m not sure if I see it happening. Ferland will come with huge term and money. When you take into account that guys like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes will get major coinage when their entry level contracts expire, I don’t know where the cap space will come from. Do the Canucks let Edler walk? Does Sutter get traded for a pick? Do you package Eriksson along with a pick to a team wanting to reach the cap floor?

Signing a guy like Ferland could actually decrease our window if you’re thinking from a cap perspective.

My advice to Canucks management is as follows:

1) Resign Edler
2) Move Sutter for a pick and promote Gaudette.
3) Don’t sign any UFA’s this summer.
4) In 2019-2020, assess how the Canucks are with Quinn Hughes in the Line-up. IF Hughes is Pettersson 2.0 on defense, and IF the Canucks look like a burgeoning dark horse with Hughes in the line-up, THEN you make a big play either at the 2020 trade deadline (not my recommendation), OR the 2020 summer (I highly recommend). You take advantage of the fact that Pettersson and Hughes are on ELC’s, and make an aggressive pitch for a high ticket UFA and go for the cup. Cap be damned at this point. No guts no glory.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Then you won’t get him. If Elliott’s sources are right and there are multiple teams interested the Canucks are not in a situation where they need to be paying through the roof. Ferlund is not the Canucks final piece.

If he makes it to free agency, then they can look into it.

How is Ferland anyone's final piece?

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Edmonton is not going to part with a first round pick for players the caliber of Goldy and Baertschi.
Okay then what do they get for the first and involves a nhl player who can help them get into the playoffs this year.
They get no good nhl ready young top line player for a likely mid first rounder magic bean.
They could aquire a rental for the first and second plus for one of the top rentals but I don't think they can afford 7-10 million to resign them.
The oil have very few non roster tradable parts except picks and prospects to help get them into the playoffs this year.
The first gets a nhl ready second line player at best or a strome griffin type player who could be iseful.
My proposal gives the oil depth with 2 40-50 point young players whos combined salary is about 3 million and should be enough to get them from being a bubble team to a wild card team.
The oil have very few options to aquire winger depth

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Ferland could look good next to Pettersson and Boeser. Pending UFA I wouldn't trade but come July 1st that in the kind of complement that those two need. A robust winger that can play with skill is a fit.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I think he would be a good fit. Players who can provide toughness and contribute on top lines are hard to come by. With that being said its not worth our first round pick and I don't think benning would be willing regardless. Goldy could fit nicely in the deal.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Ferland Pettersson Boeser

That would be a tough line for the opposition to play against.

I'd easily trade Goldobin for Ferland.

Well yeah anyone would

Waddel's not that dumb though

Goldobin is the start of the 2019 version of "Raymond, Ballard, and a pick"

Goldobin, Gudbranson and a 2nd for your stars please

Reactions: Peen and pgj98m3

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I wouldn't mind Ferland on the Canucks, some toughness forward is sorely missing, especially in the top 6. But I don´t think I would give up what Carolina wants for him .I think they will want a 1st and will probably get it from someone.

I wouldn't mind signing him to a reasonable contract, like 4-5 years around 4 million. But I think he will get a lot more as an UFA.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Pass. I wouldn't mind signing him as a FA but Canucks shouldn't be trading any futures for him. His toughness is also overrated. He's a middle weight at best so you won't see him go against guys like Reaves or Lucic or the like.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
In theory, would I like a player like Ferland on Pettersson's wing? Yes. He's a talented guy, and a tough guy who could ideally watch out for him.

But the acquisition cost - via trade and/or via free agency - is going to be too rich.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Suppose he is a pure rental. If Canucks make the playoffs, this would be a smart move. He bolsters team toughness and is almost an ideal add to Petterson's line. Virtanen will make him expendable as early as next season, so renting him is almost ideal. Ideal, I think would be a reasonable two or three year deal but that might be too costly. At least if he is here for a few months they can make an informed decision next Summer.

If Ferland has made it known he wants to test free agency, he might not be too expensive an add. If it's a reasonable cost, I'd do it.

member 290103

Ferland is a nice pipe dream but I’m not sure if I see it happening. Ferland will come with huge term and money. When you take into account that guys like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes will get major coinage when their entry level contracts expire, I don’t know where the cap space will come from. Do the Canucks let Edler walk? Does Sutter get traded for a pick? Do you package Eriksson along with a pick to a team wanting to reach the cap floor?

Signing a guy like Ferland could actually decrease our window if you’re thinking from a cap perspective.

My advice to Canucks management is as follows:

1) Resign Edler
2) Move Sutter for a pick and promote Gaudette.
3) Don’t sign any UFA’s this summer.
4) In 2019-2020, assess how the Canucks are with Quinn Hughes in the Line-up. IF Hughes is Pettersson 2.0 on defense, and IF the Canucks look like a burgeoning dark horse with Hughes in the line-up, THEN you make a big play either at the 2020 trade deadline (not my recommendation), OR the 2020 summer (I highly recommend). You take advantage of the fact that Pettersson and Hughes are on ELC’s, and make an aggressive pitch for a high ticket UFA and go for the cup. Cap be damned at this point. No guts no glory.

You forgot, “trade lottery pick.”

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Would be happy to give Ferland 5 x 5 max and that's only if we can move Sutter and Gudbranson's contracts first. He'd be a great asset on top 6 but we have too much dead cap space to sign him right now. Moving Lou would be a dream as well but until next seasons bonus is paid it's never happening. Once that is done maybe a cap floor team can be enticed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad