Rumor: Canucks interested in Ferland

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
you have to give something in order to obtain something. I would make the draft pick conditional on him re-signing.

Then that will be beaten by other offers if its conditional.

We can go after him in summer without costing assets.

Its not like he would help us win the cup thia year if we got him now

Reactions: TruKnyte

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The next 6 weeks are going to be full of unsubstantiated rumors and hearsay.

On Ferland - I'm sure he'll be a target if we can't land a better/bigger fish, butI think he'll be grossly overpaid.

There were talks of him wanting Tom Wilson money.

Reactions: geebaan

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Which makes sense because he is a better hockey player than Tom Wilson.

no, Tom Wilson is a MUCH better hockey player. He had a monster playoffs last season and is breaking out this year offensively.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Shouldnt be going after Ferland unless we KNOW we can get him signed to a reasonable contract. And hes gonna get paid so only way would be reasonable is if he wants to play here, which I doubt. So it sounds nice but doubt it happens

I wouldnt do Virtanen for Pulji, Jake has developed slowly but keeps getting better so would hate to see him keep getting better well going to a rival, esp as could be beside Mcdavid

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Puljujarvi is in no way worth Virtanen at this point, Pulujarvi is worth another reclamation project or a second round draft pick.

Its similar value to what we traded Beartschi for at the time when Canucks acquired him.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Puljujarvi is in no way worth Virtanen at this point, Pulujarvi is worth another reclamation project or a second round draft pick.

Its similar value to what we traded Beartschi for at the time when Canucks acquired him.
Puljujarvi has 6 less career goals and 6 less career assists at age 20 than 22 year old Jake Virtanen who has played 60 more games.

Virtanen is what he is, a 25-30 point winger who lacks hockey sense.

It is nothing like Sven Baertschi. Puljujarvi is 20, Sven was 22 when he was acquired.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Puljujarvi has 6 less career goals and 6 less career assists at age 20 than 22 year old Jake Virtanen who has played 60 more games.

Virtanen is what he is, a 25-30 point winger who lacks hockey sense.

It is nothing like Sven Baertschi. Puljujarvi is 20, Sven was 22 when he was acquired.

Beartschi was actually 21 when Canucks acquired him, Pulujarvi will be 21 in about 4 months. Virtanen at least carving out a valuable role in the line-up and will likely have a long career as a good third liner.

Pulujarvi is teetering on a fine line right now, he is one season away from being a total failure of a pick.

Reactions: strattonius

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Don't mind Ferland. As to pursuing him as a UFA, probably more likely the team re-signs him after acquiring him via trade than signs him as a UFA if he finishes the season with Carolina. Also Wilson's contract is probably in the ballpark of what he'll get, probably something in the 4.5 to 5M range.

It would all depend on the trade cost but it's not entirely unreasonable.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not really that excited about Ferland...In Calgary,it seemed like he was really hot and cold, going MIA for considerable chunks of time...When Elliot Friedman reports these,..I've often wondered whether he has a source that knows for sure that a GM has interest in a player, or Elliot just assumes that they could be a team that would be interested?

Anyway,...hopefully Benning is just kicking tires on this one .

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Beartschi was actually 21 when Canucks acquired him, Pulujarvi will be 21 in about 4 months. Virtanen at least carving out a valuable role in the line-up and will likely have a long career as a good third liner.

Pulujarvi is teetering on a fine line right now, he is one season away from being a total failure of a pick.
No, he wasn't. Baertschi was born in 1992, he was acquired in 2015. He was 23 his first full season in Vancouver. He was no longer on his ELC.

Puljujarvi is. It makes no sense to compare him to Baertschi and if you want to use Jake Virtanen as an example, it would be like trading Jake Virtanen 2 years ago during his full AHL season.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I’d do puji for virt, simple reason; 25-30 point players with grit are easily singable in free agency. The top end offensive potential of puji is far higher still than jakes.

As for ferland; if we hadn’t wasted 6mil for the next 4years on beagle/Rousel he would be a guy I targeted also however with the bottom 6 spots seemingly overpaid for already we need to focus on the defense in the off season.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

member 290103

I’d do puji for virt, simple reason; 25-30 point players with grit are easily singable in free agency. The top end offensive potential of puji is far higher still than jakes.

As for ferland; if we hadn’t wasted 6mil for the next 4years on beagle/Rousel he would be a guy I targeted also however with the bottom 6 spots seemingly overpaid for already we need to focus on the defense in the off season.

If you could swing a trade a sign Ferland, Virtanen becomes expendable.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
If you could swing a trade a sign Ferland, Virtanen becomes expendable.

What’s he going to sign for that would entice him to give up free agency?

Considering Roussell who’s a bit older and worse offensively got a 4year 3 mil per contract ferland should expect to get 3.5-4mil for 4+ years easily to give up free agency. Add in what we are paying our bottom 6 already and I am hesitant to do it.

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
Kind of surprises me the amount of positivity in this thread for Ferland. The amount of animosity towards him from Canucks fans during the Flames/Canucks series was a lot. Canucks fans hated Ferland because he basically pushed that Canucks team around, no problem. That was the series where Canucks were up 3-1 in that Game 6 in 2015 trying to force Game 7, had a 4-3 lead into the 3rd, and lost 7-4.

But I'm on board the Ferland train, too. I like him as a player. He's a big, skilled dude that doesn't take any shit.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I like the Ferland idea, but no to a trade for him. Would cost too much, and then you have to re-sign him at a premium. Doesn't make sense.

No to Virtanen for Pool Party.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ferland seems like a great add on for a team like Boston or Pitts..,a team poised for a bit of a run in the playoffs.

The Canucks should not start deviating from the course at this point....All moves should still be long term.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ferlund, seems like a lower skilled Okposo. Ferlund will be at ufa at age 27. Okposo was 28 when he signed in buffalo. Okposo was a mid 60 point guy during his final 3 years in NYI. One year he was 51 points in 60 games which prorated to high 60’s).

But since joining the sabres he’s been a mid 40 point guy. This year tracking to be under 40.

I really wonder what the production level people expect out of Ferlund? Are we only remembering the 2015 playoff series when he ran guys over? From flames fans his physical play was very inconsistent in the 3 years since that series.

Okposo's put up 19 goals and 45 points in 65 games in his first season with the Sabres. That's near his averages while playing on a worse team. He then dealt with concussion issues that very likely impacted his game a fair bit.

I think Ferland is a good player but he also had issues coming back from injury in the past which is a red flag to me. I wouldn't over pay and would rather chase Mark Stone even if the AAV is $3M more.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
They both are aggressive forechecking players with speed. Motte has grit to his game, he already has 114 hits on the season in contrast to Ferland who has 117 hits. Ferland is bigger, fights, and has more offensive ability hence he is the rich man's Motte.

Motte is a legit 4th liner, on pace for 23 points this season, he should be a staple moving forward.

I prefer to think of Motte as a poor mans Crosby. They both have arms, love sandwiches, and enjoy hockey.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I don't mind Ferland, he's on the few players in the league who can play a physical/nasty brand of hockey while being able to keep up and play with skilled players higher in the lineup.

But he's gonna cost way too much on either the trade or free agency market. Especially with who will be doing the negotiating.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad