Rumor: Canucks interested in Ferland

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
As per Elliot Friedman

4. The list is longer, but Boston, Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Vancouver are among those interested in Micheal Ferland.

Also note he said that Edmonton had interest in Jake Virtanen.

Take it for what its worth. Imo Friedman loves throwing out Canadian teams into false rumors at this time of the year to promote trade deadline

I can see us having interest in Ferland but not until summer.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Ferland for something involving Goldobin? Gives Carolina a player that can produce some offense and is an RFA rather than a UFA.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think Ferland has come to his own this year . Hes what Edmonton expected Lucic to be.

If we want someone that can help protect EP40, Hughes,Boeser etc.. AND contribute to actual hockey at same time then Ferland would be a good player for that role

member 290103

what about Juolevi straight up for him? Interesting that in 30 thoughts there was talk that the oilers want Virtanaen. Would people here do Puljujarvi for Virtanen?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
How is he anything like Tyler Motte? Motte is a smurf that has never fought

They both are aggressive forechecking players with speed. Motte has grit to his game, he already has 114 hits on the season in contrast to Ferland who has 117 hits. Ferland is bigger, fights, and has more offensive ability hence he is the rich man's Motte.

Motte is a legit 4th liner, on pace for 23 points this season, he should be a staple moving forward.

Reactions: Nomobo

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I have no interest in seeing the Canucks getting swept up in the group of teams buying rentals before the trade deadline because A) It's way too early and B) I don't think we'll make the playoffs. A guy like Ferland is going to cost a 1st + easily once teams get serious offers down and want some grit to counter the likes of Wilson and Reaves depending on the conference.

Strategy is simple for the Canucks this deadline: You either move guys for picks/prospects or stand pat. If they make a wildcard spot ahead of the likes of one of Dallas, Colorado, Anaheim, Edmonton and St Louis then so be it. Management however shouldn't go out and blow assets just to face a first round elimination vs whoever we could potentially face out of San Jose, Calgary, Vegas, Winnipeg or Nashville.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Ferland has come to his own this year . Hes what Edmonton expected Lucic to be.

If we want someone that can help protect EP40, Hughes,Boeser etc.. AND contribute to actual hockey at same time then Ferland would be a good player for that role
Ferlund, seems like a lower skilled Okposo. Ferlund will be at ufa at age 27. Okposo was 28 when he signed in buffalo. Okposo was a mid 60 point guy during his final 3 years in NYI. One year he was 51 points in 60 games which prorated to high 60’s).

But since joining the sabres he’s been a mid 40 point guy. This year tracking to be under 40.

I really wonder what the production level people expect out of Ferlund? Are we only remembering the 2015 playoff series when he ran guys over? From flames fans his physical play was very inconsistent in the 3 years since that series.

I know SN650 has been promotions going after him or Simmons’s in the off season. But even Simmons’s he will be 31 in the summer and his production has been dropping these past 2 years when scoring is up. He was a mid 50 to 60 point guy for the 4 full seasons after the last work stoppage when less than 20 players per year hit 70 points. So his production was excellent given where the top 20 scorers were producing. Last year he ends up with 46 points and now he’s on pace for around 40. Last year 36 players hit 70 points plus. More guys hit 80 last season than in any of the prior 4 years of players hitting 70. Seems like a guy who is in the decline. Be wary of a long term deal for him. I think his 30 goal days are over.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Ferland for something involving Goldobin? Gives Carolina a player that can produce some offense and is an RFA rather than a UFA.

My proposal: Goldobin + Lockwood + 2nd round draft pick

That should be fair for a winger that is about to hit free agency.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Ferland is exactly the kind of player the Canucks need. A tough, hard-working power forward that can play on our fairly weak left side (he can also play right, as well). Our own (slightly lesser) version of Tom Wilson.

But you sign the guy in free agency and don't give up assets to get him. We should NOT be buying this deadline.

Virtanen is an interesting one, though. Swap disappointments with Poolparty?

Reactions: JuniorNelson

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I wouldnt do that unless we can be certain we can sign him.

Im high on lockwood being a very good top 9 winger for us.

you have to give something in order to obtain something. I would make the draft pick conditional on him re-signing.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
The next 6 weeks are going to be full of unsubstantiated rumors and hearsay.

On Ferland - I'm sure he'll be a target if we can't land a better/bigger fish, butI think he'll be grossly overpaid.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Ferland would be perfect, but I really hope we don't get in a bidding war for him. They will no doubt get a lot for him. Everyone wants a power forward who can play hockey.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad