Injury Report: Canucks Injury Thread - Mar. 12th - Kesler sent back to Vancouver for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Ok so which injuries (thinking out how they were injured and what caused them) would you attribute wear and tear contributing to.

I understand the ice time complaints for daniel, henrik, and kesler, but I just dont see how these injuries can be attributed in anyway to wear and tear and torts.

I do not know. There are certain things we can never know. It's like asking if a prospect failed because he was a bad pick or if it was poor development; there are some questions which cannot be answered with certainty.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
There's no evidence that the shot blocking leads to any wear and tear beyond the direct injuries, so you need to address that (correlation to blocked shots and man games lost should be easy to show).

Also, are the Canucks even actually blocking a lot of shots? Last I saw the stats, they were kind of middle of the pack in terms of number of blocked shots.

I thought we were somewhere between 10th and 15th in that category last I saw, but that was a while ago. Not as high as the "we have a 6 goalie system" stuff that you hear people complain about every so often would make it appear, I don't think.

Wetcoaster

I do not know. There are certain things we can never know. It's like asking if a prospect failed because he was a bad pick or if it was poor development; there are some questions which cannot be answered with certainty.
That one is easy - it is all the fault of Brian Burke. ;)

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Ok, all im saying is quite a few injury accusations are being pinned on him unfairly when none of us know.

When people accuse him of crippling the team and directly resulting in most of these injuries i just dont see the direct evidence to support it to make those accusations.

And for what its worth I would place some blame on him for the JS injury, and burrows injury, I dont think they looked comfortable blocking those shots, but burrows has since returned and had a far bigger injury caused by our dmans clearing attempt at his face. Still did not think JS should have blocked that shot though. But beyond that given how most of our injuries have accumulated and on what plays, I just dont see how some posters can generalize and pin them on him (not necessarily you).

Your probably going to say its irrelevant but i just want to point out how banged up the wings also are right now. Alot of the vets on that team as well are battling injuries in a compact olmypic year.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
well isn't it fair to say the players Torts overplayed and rode into the ground early in the season have either been injured or seen their level of play drop drastically compared to past years? I'd say there's a connection.

You can't have 3 forwards in the top 5 in the league in ice time and not expect injuries and tiring especially with our travel. It was insane.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
well isn't it fair to say the players Torts overplayed and rode into the ground early in the season have either been injured or seen their level of play drop drastically compared to past years? I'd say there's a connection.

You can't have 3 forwards in the top 5 in the league in ice time and not expect injuries and tiring especially with our travel. It was insane.

Dropped drastically? I dont know kesler is playing quite well this year.... for goal totals anyway.

Henrik and daniel you could speculate that and I cant argue it, although they have been slowing down and the production has been dropping slowly since 2012.

Henrik had 45 points in 48 games last year, this year he has 40 points in 52 (while playing 4 of those injured). Is that a drastic drop from last season?

And im not saying your wrong about ice time either, it should be scaled back. But again it could be ice time, it could be the sedins slowing down. It could be both. Daniel you could make a case for, his production is falling off.

But we were talking about injuries.

Last edited:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Dropped drastically? I dont know kesler is playing quite well this year....

Henrik and daniel you could speculate that and I cant argue it, although they have been slowing down and the production has been dropping slowly since 2012.

Henrik had 45 points in 48 games last year, this year he has 40 points in 52 (while playing 4 of those injured). Is that a drastic drop from last season?

And im not saying your wrong about ice time either. But again it could be ice time, it could be the sedins slowing down. It could be both.

Kesler has 5 goals since December 8th, that's two full months of play, he had 15 goals in the first two months. That's the drop off and I'd consider it dramatic.

Daniel has scored 3 goals since December 1st. He had 10 in Oct/Nov, again dramatic drop off.

Henrik has 12 points since December 1st, he had 28 in Oct/Nov. Even before the injury issues the drop off was there.

These guys were played so much early on and tired. At least thats my opinion. Like their ice time was ridiculous, up over 20 minutes a night and it gassed them.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Yes, that is fair. What is not fair, is placing the blame on Torts for the team blocking shots. It's like placing the blame on Torts for the team hitting their opposition, and connecting that to wear and tear. Seems like it's just to fill an agenda, and is rather unfair to me.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Kesler has 5 goals since December 8th, that's two full months of play, he had 15 goals in the first two months. That's the drop off and I'd consider it dramatic.

Daniel has scored 3 goals since December 1st. He had 10 in Oct/Nov, again dramatic drop off.

Henrik has 12 points since December 1st, he had 28 in Oct/Nov. Even before the injury issues the drop off was there.

These guys were played so much early on and tired. At thats my opinion.

Do you know how many games kesler went previous seasons as well in a scoring/point drought? Henrik also began battling injuries (finger) well before the rib injury....

Im not saying your wrong, I think ice time could be scaled back for sure, but my point is they have had struggles past seasons as well. They have been held to the fire for a few seasons around here about their production, your not bringing up a new topic.

Daniel for sure, I am agreeing with daniel, but I cant say for certain even if he receives less ice time next season we will see his point totals substantially rise. I just dont know if he is slowing down or not. Its to bad last season was not a full season, we would have something better to compare against.

Last edited:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Yes, that is fair. What is not fair, is placing the blame on Torts for the team blocking shots. It's like placing the blame on Torts for the team hitting their opposition, and connecting that to wear and tear. Seems like it's just to fill an agenda, and is rather unfair to me.

I totally agree, as has been mentioned we're not even near the top in blocked shots. Only Tanev and Bieksa are in the top 50 in the league in blocks, ironically Diaz is as well and that wasn't under Torts.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
it would help if Daniel/Henrik don't play on the PK....that would reduce ice time. Should just focus on offense and that might get production again

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Do you know how many games kesler went previous seasons as well in a scoring drought? Henrik also began battling injuries (finger) well before the rib injury....

Im not saying your wrong, I think ice time could be scaled back for sure, but my point is they have had struggles past seasons as well. They have been held to the fire for a few seasons around here about their production, your not bringing up a new topic.

They've had droughts like this that have lasted 2+ months? It's like all 3 of them hit the wall at the exact same time. I just find it interesting that so many people on here were saying they were playing too much and going to wear out and then all 3 of them did. There's a reason forwards don't play that much, if anything the twins should be playing less than ever as they are getting older, instead we add penalty killing to their workload and take away their offensive start advantage and make them spend more time defending.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
They've had droughts like this that have lasted 2+ months? It's like all 3 of them hit the wall at the exact same time. I just find it interesting that so many people on here were saying they were playing too much and going to wear out and then all 3 of them did. There's a reason forwards don't play that much, if anything the twins should be playing less than ever as they are getting older, instead we add penalty killing to their workload and take away their offensive start advantage and make them spend more time defending.

I think the ice time is a valid concern, but im not going to give them a complete pass for it.

I dont have the numbers what kind of drought kesler was in during 2012 but im sure you remember the 2012 struggles. The article mentions how he had not scored in the last 12 games of the season, that was also his 2nd drought that season. I blamed it on injuries personally.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...ows-he-can-do-better-for-canucks-in-playoffs/

Henrik did he hit a wall or is he battling injuries? He was battling an injured finger after that ducks game and then injured ribs. It could be both.

Daniel as i mentioned you could be right on, and i hope your right, because i hope hes not simply slowing down. Honestly i could also blame the god awful PP as well hurting point totals.

And I will also say if henrik and kesler come back from injury while possibly still being banged up and the ice time is still sky high, then I will also take issue with it.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It just amazes me seeing that game and how hurt kesler was on that blocked shot, and wearing a bandage off ice, he was allowed to continue to play in the olympics while theirs a solid a chance he maybe unable to play when he returns to the canucks.

I would not be to thrilled if i was gillis.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
it would help if Daniel/Henrik don't play on the PK....that would reduce ice time. Should just focus on offense and that might get production again

Daniel's PK icetime is only 1:03 per game, while Henrik's is 0:59 per game. A minute won't/shouldn't make that much of a difference. They mostly play the last 20 or so seconds anyways, so then they can go on attack right after it returns to even strength.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It just amazes me seeing that game and how hurt kesler was on that blocked shot, and wearing a bandage off ice, he was allowed to continue to play in the olympics while theirs a solid a chance he maybe unable to play when he returns to the canucks.

I would not be to thrilled if i was gillis.

You know Kesler, or you should by now. He'd need to have two broken legs before you pull him off that ice in the Olympics. A blocked shot pain is nothing - he's gone through it time and time again.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Agree. The Torts blocked shot narrative is way overblown. The ice time distribution issue has always been the bigger concern.

Hopefully Henrik's return is due to him being fully recovered and not out of necessity if Kesler's out for any time.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
You know Kesler, or you should by now. He'd need to have two broken legs before you pull him off that ice in the Olympics. A blocked shot pain is nothing - he's gone through it time and time again.

Ya we know kesler was determined to play but im surprised the doctors and american team let him continue if something was seriously wrong back when they played russia and the injury occurred, this was not some injury that occurred late in the tournament. He went off ice to have it evaluated during the game and looked to be in considerable pain, and then returned to ice dome the next day with his hand wrapped and was given a ton of ice time vs Slovenia.

American fans on the main board were saying he should sit out and were worried it looked broken, i dont know the chain of command, but i would have to think if his hand is badly injured bylsma and staff were notified.

So I am hoping its nothing serious.

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I think the ice time is a valid concern, but im not going to give them a complete pass for it.

I dont have the numbers what kind of drought kesler was in during 2012 but im sure you remember the 2012 struggles. The article mentions how he had not scored in the last 12 games of the season, that was also his 2nd drought that season. I blamed it on injuries personally.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...ows-he-can-do-better-for-canucks-in-playoffs/

Henrik did he hit a wall or is he battling injuries? He was battling an injured finger after that ducks game and then injured ribs. It could be both.

Daniel as i mentioned you could be right on, and i hope your right, because i hope hes not simply slowing down. Honestly i could also blame the god awful PP as well hurting point totals.

And I will also say if henrik and kesler come back from injury while possibly still being banged up and the ice time is still sky high, then I will also take issue with it.

Does Torts get any of the blame for the powerplay, or does he get a pass on that too?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Does Torts get any of the blame for the powerplay, or does he get a pass on that too?

While your being sarcastic, since av and newell brown got blame, he and everyone deserve blame as well.

Does he deserve all the blame though? This is getting off topic.

Also never said he got a pass I said im not giving the players a pass and pinning lack of goals just on coaching, people just blame way to much on coaches at times on here, and lately its him crippling the team with injuries. Its the easy target. Av had it just as bad last season on here. Im not going to pin every scoring and injury problem solely on the coaching staff. I said before we can keep recycling coaches like the oilers and get another one if people think its still the big problem. Imo though we have had two accomplished coaches in this league hit a brick wall with our club, all the reset told me was coaching was not our primary issue.

Before last season joel quenneville and claude julien were claimed to be a big problem by the bruin and hawks fanbases on here....Now i see people taking issue with bylsma. I just believe to much gets pinned on coaching when teams struggle.

Last edited:

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
UPDATE: Kesler out tonight. "day to day" according to Torts. No definitive word on MRI results.

Torts hoping Henrik will play tonight as he returns from personal affairs in Sweden.

@FarhanLaljiTSN

Kesler will not play tonight. Day to day. Torts expects Henrik to play tonight.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Well this is what i was getting at how he was not shut down in sochi...The medical staff looked at his hand, he had to leave the game to be evaluated. Then he continued to play numerous other games. People during the game said visually his hand looked broken.

Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur 1m
For what it's worth, Ryan Kesler was telling people after the bronze medal game in Sochi that he had a broken hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad