Injury Report: Canucks Injury Thread - Mar. 12th - Kesler sent back to Vancouver for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
How so? Just curious.

should never turn yourself sideways and leave your hands exposed. The only guy I've ever seen consistently block shots sideways was Baron and he had a lot more protection than Kesler.

Kesler has been hit on his hands quite a few times in his career, needs to find a way to avoid that.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
should never turn yourself sideways and leave your hands exposed. The only guy I've ever seen consistently block shots sideways was Baron and he had a lot more protection than Kesler.

Kesler has been hit on his hands quite a few times in his career, needs to find a way to avoid that.

Turns sideways. That exposes everything...hands, ankles, side of the skate etc...

I see. Either sprawl flat on the ice or face the shot head-on standing up with stick in front of you?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Is there truly a good way to blokc a shot though? Sure there is a better way than turning sideways, but you can easily take a shot on the top of the laces facing the shot too.

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
Mindlessly blocking shots is dumb and will be one of those things that smart coaches and managers will figure out in the future. Goaltenders are so good on shots that blocked shots only cause traffic and deflection, while increasing the rate of injury.

It's 20th century hockey thinking.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Out of all places, it just happens to hit him right in the hand. He could have a superb shot blocking technique, and still take it in the wrong place.

sometimes its the way he positions his hands down at the knee level. He used to do it more often but learned not to.

And like you said in the next post there is no perfect way to block a shot, you can be in perfect position and the guy takes a bad shot and gets you in a place you don't expect.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Mindlessly blocking shots is dumb and will be one of those things that smart coaches and managers will figure out in the future. Goaltenders are so good on shots that blocked shots only cause traffic and deflection, while increasing the rate of injury.

I don't think it's going anywhere

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Baron was a shot blocking beast

Haha man I loved that guy. Adam Foote blocked shots with the sideways cannonball too, couldn't believe that worked.

Hmmm, I want you to be right.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Players should block shots if their goalie has to fight through traffic; let it go otherwise. Trouble is that no one wants to be the guy who lets a point shot through that gets deflected and results in a goal, but that's not really playing the percentages.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Is there truly a good way to blokc a shot though? Sure there is a better way than turning sideways, but you can easily take a shot on the top of the laces facing the shot too.

I think Kesler did the proper way of blocking the shot. It looks like he turned sideways but look closer, he is facing the shooter when the puck comes off the stick. The only thing he messed up on was not turning his glove hand in, leaving the beefy part of the glove exposed and likely wouldn't have resulted in his injuy. I think what caused that he had his stick the other way and didn't have time to adjust.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Head on, where the most meat of your shin pads is, or the fabulous sliding pad stack. The pad stack obviously exposes you to getting dangled and is what led to this abomination of shot blocking that players use now. I remember reading in an old Hockey News about a defenceman who would add additional padding to his shin pads so they were like a full 2 or 3 inches wider when viewed head on. Can't remember who it was though...I feel like Wet will know off the top of his head.

bure 96

Sep 6, 2013

Yeah, Torts' shot blocking bs has turned this team into cripples. On top of that playing the Sedins on the PK has completely worn them down for the 2nd half of the season.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yeah, Torts' shot blocking bs has turned this team into cripples. On top of that playing the Sedins on the PK has completely worn them down for the 2nd half of the season.

How many of the injuries are a result of "Torts' shot blocking"? I can only recall Schroeder?

bure 96

Sep 6, 2013
How many of the injuries are a result of "Torts' shot blocking"? I can only recall Schroeder?

Burrows' nightmare season started with a shot blocking injury. There were a couple of others as well like Bieksa.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Head on, where the most meat of your shin pads is, or the fabulous sliding pad stack. The pad stack obviously exposes you to getting dangled and is what led to this abomination of shot blocking that players use now. I remember reading in an old Hockey News about a defenceman who would add additional padding to his shin pads so they were like a full 2 or 3 inches wider when viewed head on. Can't remember who it was though...I feel like Wet will know off the top of his head.

I believe Craig Ludwig was notorious for it...but I'm sure TONS of others were doing the same

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 1m
Luongo and Hamhuis are on the ice for #Canucks. No Kesler or Tanev.

no kesler on ice so I guess he is not ready to go

Wetcoaster

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma
Alberts said he has no timeline for returning from Dec. 29 injury because he still has post-concussion symptoms when he works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad