Confirmed with Link: Canucks Hire Yeo and Cull as Assistant Coaches, Colliton as new HC in Abbotsford, Shaw Gone

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Coliton may end up being kyle dubas type of hire, he has an excellent hockey mind and has the potential to be an excellent NHL coach.

Reactions: mossey3535

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Have to think in a perfect world the Ruthaplan would be to have Coliton step in when BB's next contract expires. Bit of recent history with our AHL HC graduating to be the top bench boss.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
People always seem to remember the disasters for good reason but in the end Yeo has a 236-153-45 record as a head coach. Top 60 all time in wins if you can believe it. Of course he always finds a coaching gig.

Colliton was promoted in Chicago for a good reasons but he wasn’t ready to be a NHL head coach. Well at least in the circus environment Chicago was last year. Should do fine on the farm.

Cull. It’s clear new management believes the issues on the farm were the fault of old management more than anything else. There’s a reason they have been signing AHL fodder players this early on in their off season. Let’s see how he does in the new role.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Not an initial fan of Yeo as the likely heir to Boudreau but that's not by any means guaranteed, so for now these moves seem fine. Tidy work getting Cull out of Abby to get a new HC in there.

Not surprised whatsoever by Shaw leaving, or his comments about lacking direction under Green. There will definitely be more of that to follow lol

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
I'm fine with the Yeo hiring as long as it is a direct response to the country club mentality of players. Something tells me Yeo is not going to be okay with that mentality...

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
very strange. overall it's a formidable looking staff.

trent cull is not the kind of 4d chess technical coach i'd like to see as an assistance coach running the defence, but he does offer continuity and young player knowledge. i am going to assume he is ryan johnson's guy.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Patrick Johnston has some pretty interesting comments from Brad Shaw:

Canucks coaching staff turns over again

"I felt lost": that's pretty extreme. I've never heard such a thing from an outgoing member of a coaching staff. Who's to blame for Shaw having been hired and then given no clear role?
Obviously, Travis Green didnt/ wouldnt implement Shaws expertise, and (along with Baumgartner) continued to bang a square peg into a round hole.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I dont believe Colliton is much to blame for Chicago's record with him behind the bench. The Hawks were in the midst of their post dynasty fall to earth. Not much you can do with that situation.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
I dont believe Colliton is much to blame for Chicago's record with him behind the bench. The Hawks were in the midst of their post dynasty fall to earth. Not much you can do with that situation.

There's a reason an original six, Stanley Cup winning franchise hired him to be the youngest coach in NHL history.

He thinks the game from an analytical approach with very strong communication skills. Watch some of his interviews on how he dissects the game, he's going to be one hell of an NHL coach as he gains more experience and grows as a person

A Chicago reporter nailed it on how Coliton was set up to fail with an aging, egoic core that went through the trenches for Quenville. There was no way that roster was going to full buy in to a 33 year old's ideas. An AHL HC position is the best place for him right now, he made it to the conference finals with Rockford in 1 season.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Oh, for sure. I think Colliton is a really nice get for the farm, and even a good potential future HC himself.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Honestly that comment from Shaw should put an end with some of the Canucks media that Green was a very good coach in a bad situation. The situation was bad but Green was a big contributor to why it was bad.

It really is damning indictment of Green and old management while at the same time he praised the current group.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Honestly that comment from Shaw should put an end with some of the Canucks media that Green was a very good coach in a bad situation. The situation was bad but Green was a big contributor to why it was bad.

It really is damning indictment of Green and old management while at the same time he praised the current group.

I always subscribed to the idea that we were a bottom 5 managed team but the longer I'm witnessing some competence from this group and the more stories and soundbites that pop up about our organization's structure from the past, the more I accept we were the worst managed team in the NHL.

It's so f***ing sad. What a waste of time and energy such an amazing fanbase has had to endure.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
I always subscribed to the idea that we were a bottom 5 managed team but the longer I'm witnessing some competence from this group and the more stories and soundbites that pop up about our organization's structure from the past, the more I accept we were the worst managed team in the NHL.

It's so f***ing sad. What a waste of time and energy such an amazing fanbase has had to endure.

We were the worst managed team for sure. When Burke fired Weisbrod from Calgary he said he still doesn’t know what he does. Then dim proceeds to hire him right after by firing Gilman, that speaks volumes.

And 2nd worse wasn’t even remotely close to us.

It’s sad.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Is the Shaw thing really much of a surprise?

I know lots of folks were championing it as some kind of magical cure-all when he was hired, but, IIRC the org - as well as Shaw himself - were absurdly vague in their description of his role. You had to wonder how impactful it was going to be to have a guy just kind of hanging around with no specific job or area of focus. Seemed like they knew he was a good coach and someone they should hire when he became available, but didn't want to upset any of the existing staff by giving him an actual job. Total clown show from the top down.

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
We were the worst managed team for sure. When Burke fired Weisbrod from Calgary he said he still doesn’t know what he does. Then dim proceeds for hire him right after by firing Gilman, that speaks volumes.

It’s sad.
@MS

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
We were the worst managed team for sure. When Burke fired Weisbrod from Calgary he said he still doesn’t know what he does. Then dim proceeds for hire him right after by firing Gilman, that speaks volumes.

It’s sad.

Did Brian Burke really say that about John Weisbrod?

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021

I can’t find a link or anything so it was probably in a talk show interview but yeah he said that or something similar. I tried finding it for about 5 minutes, which is an eternity in this tik tok attention span era, so I give up.

People can believe me or not, I don’t really care.

But I found this gem of a thread which appears to show others heard the same interview.

Enjoy. 😂

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Drance suggests that Allvin has long had interest in Colliton:

Allvin has tracked Colliton’s career with significant interest since Colliton coached Mora IK in the Allsvenskan from 2013 to 2018. Mora IK is one of Allvin’s former club teams, although their time there is separated by more than a decade.

Allvin was a chief European amateur scout at the time, however, and was impressed with the work Colliton did in Mora with a young team, specifically the responsibility he granted to developing players like Mathias Bromé and Pierre Engvall.

Seems to fit the team’s MO so far.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
We were the worst managed team for sure. When Burke fired Weisbrod from Calgary he said he still doesn’t know what he does. Then dim proceeds to hire him right after by firing Gilman, that speaks volumes.

It’s sad.

The answer is NO. I also thought he did, but there has been no proof other than some posts on Calgary Puck.

The only quote from Burke about Weisbrod is this:

"I didn't interact a whole lot with John. John's very smart. A very bright guy. But he was away from the office most of the time I was here. I didn't interact with him that much. I didn't have a great relationship with him."

So than someone just misquotes Burkie and than the internet takes over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad