Confirmed with Link: Canucks Hire Yeo and Cull as Assistant Coaches, Colliton as new HC in Abbotsford, Shaw Gone

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I think both Yeo/Colliton has more than enough qualifications for their role, both have been head coaches at the nhl level and now 1 is assistant and 1 in the AHL.

Cull is the one who is jumping from AHL to NHL with no NHL experience.

This could be good for Rathbone, Cull knows him well and now is responsible for the defense.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The only move that confuses me here is Cull replacing Shaw. I don’t follow Abbotsford as closely as some other here, but I don’t recall a lot of positive feedback about him and now he has a promotion. Was Shaw really that bad? I wonder if BB had any say in this? Maybe he didn’t like Shaw.

Maybe now that Cull is running the defence he can do what he did with Woo and put Hughes at forward :sarcasm:
Seems like Shaw left for a promotion.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Really like the idea of putting a guy with NHL HC experience behind the AHL bench.

I don't think Cull is a bad development coach. He's basically only ever been given two worthwhile prospects, Rathbone and Lockwood, and he did fine with them. And he came out of the best prospect development factory in the league.

Man, the Canucks run a tight ship these days - absolutely no leaks of any of this stuff aside from a few whispers around Yeo weeks ago.

Reactions: Josepho

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Always a good day when you can add not one, but two former NHL coaches to your staff. I'd almost resigned myself to another year of Cull coaching the Canucks AHL farm team.

Colliton is certainly interesting. Obviously his goal is to get back to the NHL as soon as possible. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with Abby Canucks. Expectations for this AHL franchise are high.

Reactions: mossey3535

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I get Yeo being the guy there to contrast Boudreau with spartan style coaching when the players need a wakeup. I'm still not a fan of it, but I understand the thought behind it. But I don't understand what Cull has accomplished to deserve a promotion.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
I get Yeo being the guy there to contrast Boudreau with spartan style coaching when the players need a wakeup. I'm still not a fan of it, but I understand the thought behind it. But I don't understand what Cull has accomplished to deserve a promotion.

Rathbone praised Cull as the best coach he ever had. Canucks do have a young core and they can lean on Cull as sort of a father/friend figure.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I love the news of Colliton as the new AHL coach . I’m his one and only year , well full year in the AHL as a head coach he brought Rockford all the way to Round 3 and coached Matt Highmore aswell . And it wasn’t exactly that deep of a roster either so he got the best out of a group lacking high end talent .

I’m so happy Cull is now off the farm . I’ve met Cull nice guy , just not exactly that great of a coach and I’m happy Klimovich, Bains , Woo etc properly develop and play them in there right rules and give them ice time they need to develop .

I love this move

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Maybe I'm alone on this but I think Colliton in Abbotsford is a fantastic hire. Younger coach will be more relatable to farm players. Colliton is more competent than Travis Green. Think about that- Our minor league coach will be better than our head coach at the start of last year.

I think it's a really good gamble. Has done well at every level other than the NHL (where he both dealt with an aging core and kinda had a giant cloud over his head with the sexual assault thing last season), and is still young enough to grow.

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
The NHL, where the same 40 old men play musical chairs every year for 32 spots. The other 8 wait in the wings (analysts) until they get their chair back.

What’s next , Bowness going to get a head coaching job somewhere too?
lol to the Jets...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Colliton being groomed as the next Canuck head coach? Boudreau's contract is up at the end of next season and he turns 68 in January.

Unless this Canuck team wins a Stanley Cup or goes on an extended playoff run next spring, it would be surprising if Boudreau gets another a contract.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Jeesus f***in christ...
can-i-help-you-with-something-jesus.gif

Feb 19, 2018
So Yeo replaces Shaw in my mind and Cull instead of firing him and paying him to not work, will have a role behind the big bench. Don’t let the Defence assigned role fool you, he was fired but they are putting him to use instead of sitting on the couch.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
So Yeo replaces Shaw in my mind and Cull instead of firing him and paying him to not work, will have a role behind the big bench. Don’t let the Defence assigned role fool you, he was fired but they are putting him to use instead of sitting on the couch.
He can work at Steamers serving hot dogs.

Cull sucks and this must be what has previously been reported/discussed that typically the bench is a consortium of appointments by both the head coach and management.

To me this is a big step backwards.

But maybe they actually want to be shit next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad