Confirmed with Link: Canucks Hire Yeo and Cull as Assistant Coaches, Colliton as new HC in Abbotsford, Shaw Gone

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
He can work at Steamers serving hot dogs.

Cull sucks and this must be what has previously been reported/discussed that typically the bench is a consortium of appointments by both the head coach and management.

To me this is a big step backwards.

But maybe they actually want to be shit next year.
If he sucks hopefully his role is very small. I think it will be myself because Bruce is the big Dog on that bench

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
300 general managers
10 coaches

Still 0 defensive defensemen.
licensed-image

24 years old when Gilligan was fired.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Nope but he is our only chance at competing with Colorado anytime soon so I am going to repeat it ad naseum and hope we try the tank.
Not happening. And a tank isn’t required to win. Smart management and drafting can turn the team around

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
The only thing I dislike is the Yeo hire. As an assitant coach he probably is great, but you just know the he'll end up as the head coach. Granted he has already had 3 opportunities.

Everyone assumed Cull was getting the boot, but 2 months ago management praised him and his work in Abbotsford, which was weird because his developmental track record is lousy. But I guess they like his coaching principles and fundamentals. Who knows how he'll be as an assistant.? Who knows how much the stink of the previous regime effected his opportunities to coach?

Colliton seems like a great gamble for this level and is probably more likely to get the next coaching job (another advantage of abbotsford is attracting coaching and developmental staff)

Shaw leaving is not surprising. Lots of smoke with him wanting more oppertunity and.... some potential conflict? The exits spat from the end of the year was directed at BB, but probably really at Shaw. No idea if Shaw was acctually great with the defense, but almost everybody seemed to overperform their expectations?

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I will say, for as much as I did not like Cull as a head coach in Abbotsford with the games I saw there, I thought he genuinely did a great job with the defense. The team always played a tight structure and the ability he was able to get out of a super below average to bad defense that we had in Abby (Bowey and Rathbone were our only two truly capable defenders all year and Rathbone was injured half the year) was fairly impressive.

Poor motivator and strategist though, just never seemed to have control of the game or his team when he was behind the bench, and fought with refs a lot which felt like a bit of a detriment to us, but he could be a good defense coach. Sad to see Shaw go, wonder why he's not sticking around

Reactions: mossey3535 and m9

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think he's a great assistant coach, but you know at some point he's going to be the HC now and I hate that.

I would venture that Yeo is a solid head coach as well, but one with a limited shelf life. He’s a pretty harsh guy that seems to wear thin on players after a a while. Fine when there’s a “good cop” like Boudreau to serve as a foil, though.

Reactions: mossey3535

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I will say, for as much as I did not like Cull as a head coach in Abbotsford with the games I saw there, I thought he genuinely did a great job with the defense. The team always played a tight structure and the ability he was able to get out of a super below average to bad defense that we had in Abby (Bowey and Rathbone were our only two truly capable defenders all year and Rathbone was injured half the year) was fairly impressive.

Poor motivator and strategist though, just never seemed to have control of the game or his team when he was behind the bench, and fought with refs a lot which felt like a bit of a detriment to us, but he could be a good defense coach. Sad to see Shaw go, wonder why he's not sticking around

I believe Shaw is getting an associate coach opportunity with Philly - or did I misread that?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What’s next , Bowness going to get a head coaching job somewhere too?
You made this happen. The power of your mind to alter reality. Boom.

I have not seen anything like it since Russian Racket refused to accept reality to the point realty nearly gave up and let the Canucks into this year's playoffs.

Rathbone praised Cull as the best coach he ever had. Canucks do have a young core and they can lean on Cull as sort of a father/friend figure.

That's not saying much, he's had one professional coach.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I would venture that Yeo is a solid head coach as well, but one with a limited shelf life. He’s a pretty harsh guy that seems to wear thin on players after a a while. Fine when there’s a “good cop” like Boudreau to serve as a foil, though.

How do you know BB is the "good" cop?

Could've been something like "bad cop robocop" kinda situation.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Patrick Johnston has some pretty interesting comments from Brad Shaw:

Shaw said he really enjoyed working for Boudreau. He hadn’t really had a role to fill under Travis Green, but under Boudreau he was put in charge of the defence and then later the penalty kill and played a big role in the success the Canucks had over the second half.
“I took a job initially I thought I would love but I felt lost. With the coaching change I felt like I had a chance, more functional. I thank Jimmy Rutherford and Patrik Allvin because it gave me a chance to work again,” he told Postmedia from his cottage on Mississippi Lake in Ontario.
Canucks coaching staff turns over again

"I felt lost": that's pretty extreme. I've never heard such a thing from an outgoing member of a coaching staff. Who's to blame for Shaw having been hired and then given no clear role?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
That is incredible. But sadly not very surprising, the last regime was a nightmare.
The Johnston piece makes it fairly clear that Boudreau is entirely on board with Yeo's hiring, so it's unlikely there'll be a repetition. Not that such a thing wold be likely with any team in the league. It really is incredible.

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
You made this happen. The power of your mind to alter reality. Boom.

I have not seen anything like it since Russian Racket refused to accept reality to the point realty nearly gave up and let the Canucks into this year's playoffs.

That's not saying much, he's had one professional coach.
Lol reality nearly gave up

Nice

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I like Colliton as a hire for Abbotsford.

Yeo and Cull are probably best suited as assistants, so all of that seems fine.

I like Colliton over Cull in Abby. Yeo has plenty of experience including head coaching experience so that's valuable to have. Cull for Shaw seems like a downgrade to me. Shaw is a long time NHL assistant coach with NHL headcoaching experience. Cull is a long time AHL assistant coach with AHL headacoaching experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad