Confirmed with Link: Canucks hire Jim Rutherford as POHO, Interim GM - search for permanent GM will continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
"Wall had worked closely with Laurence Gilman in the previous Canucks regime and brought significant institutional knowledge to a highly specialized role."

Probably indicates Gilman isn't likely to come here, lol.
Never thought of that, good point

Reactions: Bubbles

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Then the Canucks are simply just never going to win a cup until they have owners that are willing to put money toward this area, if this is the case.

The successful organisations will be the ones who think outside of the box to gain a competitive edge, as has been pointed out here before.

I don't think there's any reason to be positive if they are running a budget front office. Like, zero.
Certain departments can be lean if automated properly like AR and AP. Don’t need as many clerks keying stuff in.

for analytics, you are trying to uncover something in the data you are collecting to make better decisions. So you need to spend time analyzing and investigating new ideas.

maybe not the best department to be ultra lean.

but doesn’t mean it has be the largest in the nhl.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Certain departments can be lean if automated properly like AR and AP. Don’t need as many clerks keying stuff in.

for analytics, you are trying to uncover something in the data you are collecting to make better decisions. So you need to spend time analyzing and investigating new ideas.

maybe not the best department to be ultra lean.

but doesn’t mean it has be the largest in the nhl.
Oh, I'm not saying it has to be the largest, most progressive department in the NHL, but I think it should be at least top 10.

I think our market deserves at least that. We had it under Gillis, and it lead to almost immediate success.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I just see it as either:

1) Jonathan Wall is good at his job but Benning wouldn't listen to him
2) Jonathan Wall is bad at his job and is part of the problem

In both cases, Wall doesn't look great. Gilman and Henning were let go because they didn't agree with Benning. I don't see how Wall survives telling Benning all of his decisions are stupid.

Sure, it sucks they lost their jobs, but then you're taking an issue with how unfair it is that there's turnover in NHL organizations when GMs/Presidents are replaced. I don't think it's out of the question that that happens.

What's behind door #3? It's hard to evaluate the analytics department without factoring in whether they have their own algorithm, their video scouting etc. A bulk of the video work would be done by Fox and Biech? And they have hired intern(s) and hired junior analyst(s).

I often read Harmon Dayal's articles online and he's actually been positive about many of the acquisitions in recent years in terms of how they address areas of weakness. So that suggests to me that the team actually does use analytics to target specific players.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Wow. Look at the JR hiring thread on the main board …. It’s pretty much 100% of people think he’s terrible. Crazy.
He didn't do well during the post Cup years for the Pens. He's also part of the OBC that liked being blind to deplorable behavior in their organizations. He definitively brings a mixed bag, but more than anything the Canucks need his experience to rebuild.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Put in the camp of waiting to see the replacements before judging the firings. I mean, the team has not been doing well. Not sure why we would assume we’ll end up worse, we’ve been one of the worst teams in the league the last 8 years. I would be more likely to assume the replacements are an improvement, if only because it means management will be more likely to actually utilize the replacements. It’s not like analytics we’re driving a lot of decisions in the past. Of course, we don’t really know the personalities behind the scenes and you know what ‘assuming’ does.

Loyalty is also part of autonomy and for all we know these guys’ loyalty is to Aqua (who kept them through different regimes). If so I can understand why JR wants to make a change.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless some dramatic turnaround is in the cards for this team the rest of the season, there's virtually no chance J.T. Miller survives the trade deadline. And Boeser is no better than 50/50.

Both guys are due big raises, and their stock will never be higher than it is at the trade deadline. Teams will be lined up for both guys....and for a change, 'Trader Jim' (as in version 2.0) is holding all the cards.

It would be such a pleasant change to see a Canucks franchise that maximizes the value of player instead of allowing them to limp into their UFA season, and then watch them walk away for nothing.

Reactions: Sneezy

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I'm not too concerned about these firings at all.

If Gear was the lead negotiator, he sucked at negotiating reasonable contracts for depth defensemen and 3rd/4th liners. We're paying Tucker Poolman 2.5m for 4 years.

If Wall was the analytics guy, either Benning ignored him completely but he's a hidden genuis in this field or he kind of sucked at analytics.

I'm more concerned with who they hire.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Unless some dramatic turnaround is in the cards for this team the rest of the season, there's virtually no chance J.T. Miller survives the trade deadline. And Boeser is no better than 50/50.

Both guys are due big raises, and their stock will never be higher than it is at the trade deadline. Teams will be lined up for both guys....and for a change, 'Trader Jim' (as in version 2.0) is holding all the cards.

It would be such a pleasant change to see a Canucks franchise that maximizes the value of player instead of allowing them to limp into their UFA season, and then watch them walk away for nothing.

Jimbo excelled at turning Canucks assets into trash.

Reactions: vanuck and quat

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
What's behind door #3? It's hard to evaluate the analytics department without factoring in whether they have their own algorithm, their video scouting etc. A bulk of the video work would be done by Fox and Biech? And they have hired intern(s) and hired junior analyst(s).

I often read Harmon Dayal's articles online and he's actually been positive about many of the acquisitions in recent years in terms of how they address areas of weakness. So that suggests to me that the team actually does use analytics to target specific players.

Harmon can get fooled by JFresh graphs just like the rest of us (and presumably the rest of the analytics team). Case in point is the Dickinson acquisition, where we lacked a strong 3rd line centre and they acquired a guy who, to date, is bad at centre. If they are fooled by that, then is it really a good analytics department? Maybe door 3 is average at their job lol

Reactions: MS and Red

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

this is all I need to support the firings
f*** Imac

I know what you're getting at, but that's a poor reason to "support the firings."

Imac is right though. The optics are bad without replacements lined up.

Rutherford hasn't landed in Vancouver. There's no GM, both AGMs are gone including the one guy with a law degree. Our analytics department head and chief capologist is also gone. Who can Rutherford go to now? Smyl, Johnson, and the Sedins?

Gear is a corporate counsel so before he became AGM, if he left the organization nobody would really bat an eye. But Wall has been here for 20+ years. He gets fired midseason in the middle of a regime change? Usually these guys get to leave the organization at the end of the year to pursue new opportunities.

Reactions: TruKnyte

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wonder if it's a cost cutting move. Rutherford probably didn't come cheap. Gear and Wall must be pretty expensive.

I doubt 72-year old Jim Rutherford came here to bootstrap the Canucks hockey ops. He is just cleaning house because there's a serious stench that has gathered around this organization over the past 8 years. Regardless of how much input Gear and Wall had in the Benning/Weisbrod mess they wear it simply by merit of being the "contract guy" and the "analytics guy".

This isn't even particularly a hockey or sports thing. It's just regime change.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
rutherford gonna bring in his own guys. for sure. what a week it has been in canuckland. its like news happening everyday.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well if Gear was responsible for signing EP40 to 7.25M and then he subsequently hasent scored a goal since , he should be fired.

Show me anyone who says they predicted the season Pettersson is having and I'll show you a liar.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

Yes would be nice but of course it won't happen.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Gear and Wall may well have been competent at their jobs, but that's just the way it goes.

Likely a guy like Rutherford has identified people he wants in those roles already. Or perhaps they were also part of the problem. Or they just weren't good enough to escape the Benning sphere of ineptitude.

Reactions: Red
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad