Confirmed with Link: Canucks hire Jim Rutherford as POHO, Interim GM - search for permanent GM will continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2006
I just don't understand why someone in their 70s who is presumably very well-off would move across the country to take a new job.

I would be happy if Rutherford was brought in as POHO and put in charge of a "search committee" for a new GM.

Otherwise he's still a massive improvement on the other guy named Jim.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Because it’s a massive difference?….Rutherford has incredible hockey knowledge and experience. That would compliment a young GM immensely.

While true, if he takes any kind of a hands-on role it might be trouble because his approach for years has been the exact polar opposite of what your team needs.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'm fine with this tbh.

This organization needs to seriously revamp its league wide perception, and unfortunately the way to do that is not by bringing in a firebrand like JP Barry (as much as that would be fun). Bringing in a charter member of the OBC, especially one that is 73 years old, means the team builds some goodwill in the short term, and hopefully Rutherford uses his connections to bring in some smart people to surround him.

Rutherford originally hired Eric Tulsky.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
"Rutherford has a track record of incorporating analytics into player personnel decisions"

I don't know where the hell this rumor started

every decision he has made goes against analytics
The Bonino for Sutter swap I believe he mentioned listening to his analytics department.

I haven't followed his other moves much beyond the awful defensemen acquisitions.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm fine with this tbh.

This organization needs to seriously revamp its league wide perception, and unfortunately the way to do that is not by bringing in a firebrand like JP Barry (as much as that would be fun). Bringing in a charter member of the OBC, especially one that is 73 years old, means the team builds some goodwill in the short term, and hopefully Rutherford uses his connections to bring in some smart people to surround him.

Rutherford originally hired Eric Tulsky.

Was Jim Benning not a part of that club? He didn't generate any goodwill in 8 years?

Reactions: Mr4legs and timw33

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If it's POHO, I can live with that. A good ol' boy type who can have beers with the Aquilinis during the game and tell old war stories while keeping them the heck away from whoever our GM is.

He had some great times as a GM, but his latter days in Pittsburgh are littered with some real whoppers. And as MS indicates, he's 72 - neither a long term fixture, nor would I think he's a guy to lean heavily into new age ideas and thinking as a GM.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
If Rutherford comes in as POHO with a progressive-minded GM (Tulsky/McFarland/Gilman/etc...) fine.

If he's taking the dual role...blech. If the GM is Ryan Johnson...double blech.

Actually, if Rutherford gets to hire his own GM I would bet cash money he brings in Jason Botteril (current Kraken AGM, former Sabres GM, before that Rutherford's underling in Pittsburgh). Which...fine. It was after Botteril got hired by Buffalo that Rutherford's Pittsburgh operation really went off the rails.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Better be true on presidents role or I will hunt all you down saying “don’t worry, it’s just for president bro”

Looking at you, Canadian Canuck and Dhaliwal.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
First page needs to be nuked, its not for GM apparently

How much control does pres have over actual, specific team moves?

ie. if pres wants Gudbranson, but GM thinks it's a bad idea, how will that turn out? And the other way around, if GM thinks a trade is good but the pres does not agree, what will happen?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Better be true on presidents role or I will hunt all you down saying “don’t worry, it’s just for president bro”

Looking at you, Canadian Canuck and Dhaliwal.

terminator-t1000.gif

Shellshockedfrom2011

Aug 9, 2021
Well we need to acquire a quality RD and shore up our D and Forwards with value players. Doesn't seem like the guy for that. Fingers crossed that Sedins or others are great at player evaluation both for skill and actual dollar value.

Reactions: Indiana

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Those are the names that keep coming up when he pokes around (much like Rutherford).
McFarland must know how in demand he likely is. I think he’ll be picky with where he goes.

I haven’t read up on this Caps assistant GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2