Confirmed with Link: Canucks hire Jim Rutherford as POHO, Interim GM - search for permanent GM will continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
LT753Dq.png

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This franchise can't do anything right. This is exactly why I warned people Sunday night that the Battle of Benning was won, but the war is far from over.

Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is pretty clearly the 'hire a short-term guy to groom the Sedins' plan.

Rutherford is almost 73 years old. He's one of the 3-4 oldest GMs in NHL history on the day he's hired if this is the case. Pat Quinn died when he was 71, FFS. Like, he clearly wouldn't be here for more than 2 years.

I've been saying from the start that this decision would hinge on whether they were continuing with the 'groom the Sedins' plan or if they would start totally fresh. It seems like they're going to be going with the first option. And it's so f***ing underwhelming.

Also LOL on the reports that both Montreal and Vancouver consulted the league for options and the league recommended Gorton to Montreal and Rutherford to Vancouver.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Hopefully it is for the presidents role, with the goal of helping the Sedin's transition into the role in the next couple of years. And hopefully, the Sedins are heavily involved in finding the next GM that will be working under them for the foreseeable future.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Did we ever learn why Rutherford just abruptly quit the Pens organization in January or is that still a complete mystery?

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Everyone is hoping this is "just" for the President role as if it really changes anything

What if this is just Aqua leaking it to the press to see our reaction before he actually does it?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This is pretty clearly the 'hire a short-term guy to groom the Sedins' plan.

Rutherford is almost 73 years old. He's one of the 3-4 oldest GMs in NHL history on the day he's hired if this is the case. Pat Quinn died when he was 71, FFS. Like, he clearly wouldn't be here for more than 2 years.

I've been saying from the start that this decision would hinge on whether they were continuing with the 'groom the Sedins' plan or if they would start totally fresh. It seems like they're going to be going with the first option. And it's so f***ing underwhelming.

Also LOL on the reports that both Montreal and Vancouver consulted the league for options and the league recommended Gorton to Montreal and Rutherford to Vancouver.

Or or or hear me out, this is purely because Aquilini see's Rutherford as a PROVEN WINNER!!! And Aquilini still has this ridiculous fantasy that the team can turn around fast and win a cup with a guy who won four!!!!

I think Aquilini is a short-sighted businessman that doesn't have the ability to examine long-term strategies towards success. Benning sold him on what he wanted to hear. Rutherford will certainly do the same.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Or or or hear me out, this is purely because Aquilini see's Rutherford as a PROVEN WINNER!!! And Aquilini still has this ridiculous fantasy that the team can turn around fast and win a cup with a guy who won four!!!!

Oh, that's certainly also part of it.

But Rutherford is definitely not some sort of long-term figure here.

Reactions: geebaan

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I think Aquilini is a short-sighted businessman that doesn't have the ability to examine long-term strategies towards success. Benning sold him on what he wanted to hear. Rutherford will certainly do the same.

Haha, JEB was a "proven winner" too wasn't he?

Now he's "proven village idiot".
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad