TSN: Canucks, Golden Knights, Hurricanes, and Flames interested in Tyson Barrie

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Barrie has been on pace for an 11G, 44A season under Keefe, and that's despite bad on ice shooting percentage. A lot of the narrative about his underperformance is based on a bad stint under Babcock when he was forced to play as a defensive defenseman, not his play recently. He's not going to win any awards for his two way play, but under Keefe he's been basically the offensive defenseman he was in Colorado.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Barrie has been on pace for an 11G, 44A season under Keefe, and that's despite bad on ice shooting percentage. A lot of the narrative about his underperformance is based on a bad stint under Babcock when he was forced to play as a defensive defenseman, not his play recently. He's not going to win any awards for his two way play, but under Keefe he's been basically the offensive defenseman he was in Colorado.

His numbers are worse than I thought. 8 power play points despite all that firepower.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Really eh? I don't watch a lot of flames games (Im asleep when they usually start) and I always thought Hamonic was pretty good. I know Hanifin was always supposed to be an offence first kind of guy
Yes, I would be fine with Barrie if it made sense for us. But trading our best defenseman for a significant downgrade makes no sense.

Last year Brodie was poor but also dealing with off ice health issues (his wife). This year he has been our best defenseman and it isn't close. Add the fact Gio is getting older and declining, Hanifin has struggled and Hamonic has been awful... why are we trading Brodie unless it is for future prospects and picks?

Reactions: Deuce Awesome

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
See bottom chart from 12 days ago.

Hold up, those say that the Leafs aren't terrible defensively. You'll have to take it down, it's against site rules.

On a slightly more serious note, they need to get a metric that improves on xGA to account for pre-shot movement and perhaps scoring chances once the opponents enter the zone. The Leafs do a very good job preventing zone entries which keeps the offensive chances and xGA down overall, but are pretty darn bad once hemmed in. We also give up a ton of cross-ice puck movement which gives chances that are very high quality and not reflected in xGA

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Teams calling to try and get an asset for cheap. Not all that shocking.

If teams were giving up solid value, Barrie wouldn’t be a leaf right now.

I find it weird that Barrie is worth (according to leaf fans in this very thread) a 1st, a 2nd, and a good prospect, but a better, younger defenceman with more term is only worth Ceci/Johnsson/Bracco/2nd according to leaf fans.

Reactions: Lenerdosy

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Barrie has huge value considering his contract. He would get a 1st 2nd and prospect.

Leafs would move assets they get from Barrie for a d that’s lock up longer term

so using this reasoning, CHI should get 2 1sts, 2 2nds and 2 prospects for Gustafsson cause he has a cap hit of just $1.2m...:sarcasm:

Reactions: CupInSIX

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Barrie has huge value considering his contract. He would get a 1st 2nd and prospect.

Leafs would move assets they get from Barrie for a d that’s lock up longer term
I keep hearing this, and I dont disagree but find a team willing to move the RHD the Leafs want for a 1st, 2nd, prospect.
Most fans are saying no, although its a decent haul.
Like if you call up Minny and offer a 1st, 2nd, prospect do they say no for Brodin? Or Anaheim for Manson?
If so, what do the Leafs need to add on top of it?

I could personally see a deal like Brodin + Foligno + Pateryn for (Barries return) + Kappanen + pick/prospect. Basically the value for the Barrie return is lower than the D we want, so you need to find a forward worth less than a Kapanen type to balance the value. In this kind of trade, the forward swap gives the team the younger player, with more term at a reasonable cap hit. Kappy would be the 2nd RW option behind Zuccs, and let Minny move Fiala back to his natural right side, and Galch out of the top 6.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I think Barrie would look amazing with the Knights and depending on what they have up to get him I think it would make them favourites in the West

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Teams calling to try and get an asset for cheap. Not all that shocking.

If teams were giving up solid value, Barrie wouldn’t be a leaf right now.

I find it weird that Barrie is worth (according to leaf fans in this very thread) a 1st, a 2nd, and a good prospect, but a better, younger defenceman with more term is only worth Ceci/Johnsson/Bracco/2nd according to leaf fans.
No player has been traded without getting what the teams think is solid value for a player - not just Barrie. There are indeed a few Leaf fans that think he is worth a first and a prospect. Yes, most people try and find the best value for the lowest price- it is the philosophy behing comparison shopping. No idea how you would find that shocking.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I have a feeling Leafs and Calgary will do a deal around Barrie + Bracco for Brodie

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I have a feeling Leafs and Calgary will do a deal around Barrie + Bracco for Brodie

Brodie has the Leafs in his NTC, so it would require some good convincing from the Leafs front office to get him to lift it.

I also want Sam Bennett back in any deal involving calgary

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
If I had to bet I'd say Barrie will ultimately end up back in BC.
Yea right, no cap room for him out here for what he will want once we sign Markstrom unless they pull a houdini and dump a bunch of our garbage contracts we are tied to.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

That’s why this trade talk is driving me up the wall. He’s playing exactly as expected right now and getting good results. People seem to be surprised that he’s a high risk high reward offensive defenseman.

It’s Gardiner syndrome to the extreme, where people latch onto specific bad plays while ignoring the rest of the game.

Reactions: Chompchompr

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Barrie is a cheap option cap wise and actual dollars but he wont be cheap in a trade. That's just the reality of trade deadline deals, players like barrie who put up sexy numbers but are more flash than substance are over valued. There are a number if teams interested for a reason. I understand some fans in this thread dont think he's a good fit on their team but unfortunately from reports your gm disagrees.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Lower then what he would net if he was at the top of his game. The poster I quoted was talking mad with his asking price. He was asking for a huge return and a much bigger one then you payed a year ago for a rental on top of his gameplay right now. What kind of response were you expecting? Has nothing to do with the Leafs. I hate fans that try to play victim.

He would net a first bar minimum with the prices being paid right now.

Reactions: Chompchompr

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The Leafs are without Rielly and Ceci already. They'd have to score something pretty valuable to move Barrie now. They do need him without Rielly. They can change the makeup of the dcore or score a draft pick haul with the potential to flip. But, they need someone in there to eat tough minutes down the stretch.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
:laugh: Leaf fans think Vegas is going to pay more to get Barrie than they gave up for Stone.

I'll take Gustafsson at a fraction of the cost, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad