TSN: Canucks, Golden Knights, Hurricanes, and Flames interested in Tyson Barrie

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

He's a defensive liability. Yes he can score and move the puck but he's basically a better gardiner.

And mark stone got a 2nd+branstrom and he was also traded right at the deadline with an extension.
I think at the time Brannstrom was a top-15 prospect. Clague is more of B prospect, as far as I know. A 1st and a B-prospect isn't an insane ask. The Leafs got Clifford, so it doesn't have to be Reaves. Maybe, that is enough. Add it to something else and maybe the Leafs can get someone else with term.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
I think at the time Brannstrom was a top-15 prospect. Clague is more of B prospect, as far as I know. A 1st and a B-prospect isn't an insane ask. The Leafs got Clifford, so it doesn't have to be Reaves. Maybe, that is enough. Add it to something else and maybe the Leafs can get someone else with term.

I think that 1st plus b is more than fair but I don't think vegas would consider hauge to be a b prospect. That's all I'm saying.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The only trade that makes sense for Barrie is Brodie....and that doesn't seem like a viable option at this point with Brodie having Toronto on his NTC. I think this whole trade Barrie movement is fabricated by SN and TSN, so that people tune in on Monday. I think Barrie stays.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
100% agreed. As you said, leaf fans try and fill this part of the boards with ridiculous claims.

A 1st, a 2nd, and a good prospect for 20 games of Barrie is reasonable to these leaf fans, all while a better, younger defenceman, signed for term, is only worth Ceci/Jobnsson/Bracco/2nd.

But at least you admit, it’s not even shocking to see these types of posts among that fan base anymore. Kudos on the objectivity. Cheers
I have never made that statement,nor do I believe that you are a Leaf fan. Both are reasonable to some fans while others claim that only Leaf fans would make an outlandish claim when that is obviously not the case. We can both agree on than my objectivity. Cheers!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Barrie has been a terrible fit on the Leafs but he still holds trade value. He would get a 1st, 2nd and a couple of warm bodies type return or its player for player. The Leafs would then use some of those assets on a defenseman that is a far better fit.
All the people saying they are giving up makes me laugh. They are being very smart about this.
They have an asset that has value in the open market that is of greater value to their team. move that asset and add an asset that is of better value in that spot.
So he’s fit in horribly and not played well, but has maintained all of his value....which according to you quite high for a rental.

Tell me more....

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

He's a defensive liability. Yes he can score and move the puck but he's basically a better gardiner.

And mark stone got a 2nd+branstrom and he was also traded right at the deadline with an extension.

At the time of the trade, Brannstrom was regarded as one of the best drafted prospects in the league.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Barrie unextended is not getting a 1st and a b prospect.

As for your Barrie extended getting 1st, b prospect and young roster player....which one is 33-year-old Reaves? Is he the young roster player? The b prospect? The 1st? Reaves is a valuable physical presence on Vegas. And which one is Hague? The b prospect? If he is a b prospect then what is Liljegren? A c prospect? What a joke.

Vegas needs salary in to equal salary out, so Reaves being included in a Barrie trade makes some sense, although assets would have to be coming from Toronto to make up the difference in value.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Barrie this year is worse than Gardiner last. He's a better shooter, that's about it.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I have a hard time imagining that there's a lot of value in the remnant of Barrie's contract, but if the Leafs trade him for whatever they can get I'm all for that.

I enjoy watching Leafs games and I don't see anything in Barrie that really helps them all that much.

I'm okay if they keep him too, but when I see the prices mentioned here I think that looks like a pretty good return for this player.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Barrie this year is worse than Gardiner last. He's a better shooter, that's about it.
I prefer Jake -- but for any lingering effects of his back injury.

I haven't watched Jake this year but I have read some Canes' fans remarks that he's looked hurt and his skating is off. Skating is the name of his game. If Jake Gardiner can't skate well then that's a big problem.

Reactions: 7even

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I have a hard time imagining that there's a lot of value in the remnant of Barrie's contract, but if the Leafs trade him for whatever they can get I'm all for that.

I enjoy watching Leafs games and I don't see anything in Barrie that really helps them all that much.

I'm okay if they keep him too, but when I see the prices mentioned here I think that looks like a pretty good return for this player.

Barrie has 26 points in 39 games under Keefe (55 point pace) and is signed at 2.75. He definitely holds value, probably similar to the Shattenkirk deal in 2017.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If teams want him .. great.
We as leaf fans know he hasn't been as advertised. But we also have no reason to move the guy unless it makes sense.

We have nobody else to play the right side. I'd rather ride him to FA as a 3rd pairing guy than take a meh player or random draft pick.

Unless it's completely precursor to opening a spot for a very good dman.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
the only way I see the leafs moving barrie is for a pick and propect a player that another team wants and then move those assets for another dman with term left on his contract, because they need d not subtract from it and a defensive dman not offensive dman…..

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Otay.

Imagine panicking into dealing a 1st rd pick because Tyson Barrie is the “missing piece”...lol.

It happens every year at this time. Players "worse" than Barrie have gotten firsts in return for the playoff run. Another point that I think might be overlooked is that the Leafs aren't sellers. They are trying to get in themselves. Meaning they aren't desperate to move him, and he could very well still be a Leaf on Tuesday. Could it be said that Dubas wants to save face and try to squeeze something else out of the Kadri trade? Yes. Using the same logic though he won't be dealt for a third or something stupid because he will be ripped to shreds, and another strike on his "resume", especially if the Leafs dont make the playoffs.

Oh and the Shattenkirk example, that’s the last rental D that was moved for a 1st. I think you’ll see that move has been viewed as a spectacular failure and as a warning against moving a 1st for a rental D. So, that kinda backs my original point, no?

There are loads of bad deals on trade deadline day. Hell Cody Franson got a first back.

Im not saying Barrie for a first is good value for a team looking to pick him up, but that's what the price will be. Or equivalent.

Economics 101-something is worth what the market will pay. With supposedly three teams interested, and Dubas being able to play the "well....I think Ill just keep him" card...don't be surprised if a deal happens. Having said that, I also won't be surprised if he isn't traded. But I will eat a plate of crow if he is dealt for a third or some C prospect like what they haters are tossing around in here.

Reactions: shortfuze

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Never understood him as a Target for Dubas
I just remember when the trade was announced, I just could not understand Barrie at all being a target except for his handedness, and that's it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Never understood him as a Target for Dubas
I just remember when the trade was announced, I just could not understand Barrie at all being a target except for his handedness, and that's it.

Dubas was looking for a 2 for 1 deal where Kadri returned a 3c and top 4 d that also combined fit under the Leafs cap structure

In reteospect likely would have been better to target another D man with term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->