TSN: Canucks, Golden Knights, Hurricanes, and Flames interested in Tyson Barrie

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Was a poor move for Toronto in the first place - Barrie was always going to sign with Vancouver when he got the chance to

Dubas comes across as desperate sometimes - I think he has an understanding of just how short the Leafs’ window really is if Matthews were to leave

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Was a poor move for Toronto in the first place - Barrie was always going to sign with Vancouver when he got the chance to

Dubas comes across as desperate sometimes - I think he has an understanding of just how short the Leafs’ window really is if Matthews were to leave
Thats some pretty wild speculation considering barrie is going to ask for minimum 7 million next year and the canucks would need to let toffoli, and tanev walk to fit in Barrie....

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Thats some pretty wild speculation considering barrie is going to ask for minimum 7 million next year and the canucks would need to let toffoli, and tanev walk to fit in Barrie....
Barrie has been connected to Vancouver since his draft day

Whether they can make it fit or not it was a terrible move for Toronto, acquiring an offensive defenseman for a team desperate for defense.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Barrie has been connected to Vancouver since his draft day

Whether they can make it fit or not it was a terrible move for Toronto, acquiring an offensive defenseman for a team desperate for defense.
Im not saying that part was wrong. Dubas messed up big time. However, To say that barrie to vancouver is a lock just doesnt make any sense from a numbers perspective. 7 million is a moderate guess.. If someones desperate enough they might go 8 million... Im sure he wants to see what hes worth in the UFA market.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Im not saying that part was wrong. Dubas messed up big time. However, To say that barrie to vancouver is a lock just doesnt make any sense from a numbers perspective. 7 million is a moderate guess.. If someones desperate enough they might go 8 million... Im sure he wants to see what hes worth in the UFA market.
Fair enough, I wasnt taking Vancouvers’s ability to fit him cap-wise into consideration when making the comment

If we were speaking purely based on where Tyson would like to play - the answer is Vancouver. And so he was always going to test the market

I suppose that was my initial point I was trying to make

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
A bad trade for Flames, we already have Hamonic and Hanifin who are a disaster in our own zone. We do not need another bad defensive player.

Really eh? I don't watch a lot of flames games (Im asleep when they usually start) and I always thought Hamonic was pretty good. I know Hanifin was always supposed to be an offence first kind of guy

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
This board will crash if gardiner gets traded for barrie.

We were sold Barrie as an upgrade on Jake. He has been, I guess, but not like I thought. Im probably in the minority that would like Gards back here, I think the fans turning on him really bothered him. Felt bad for the guy. He got the Brisebois treatment.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
TVR/Edmundson + BUF ‘20 3rd (from the Skinner trade) for Barrie, (Edmundson is currently playing on the right and TVR is currently...(gulp)...a top pair RD next to Slavin...)

Posters suggesting they can get a 1st for Barrie need to remember how to spell r-e-n-t-a-l.

I think CAR would also go Gardiner for Barrie 1-1, but I’d think TOR is certainly on that 7 team NT list so that’s likely moot.

Last edited:

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
TVR + BUF ‘20 3rd (from the Skinner trade) for Barrie

Posters suggesting they can get a 1st for Barrie need to remember how to spell r-e-n-t-a-l.

Leafs will get better offers than that. You seem to underestimate the value of r-e-n-t-a-l's. GM's panic and lose touch with reality for a few hours. Barrie is basically a Shattenkirk type, crap in his own end but can pile up the points. These players are desirable for the playoff run. Barrie hasn't panned out here but there is no denying what he can do, and has done in the past.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Leafs will get better offers than that. You seem to underestimate the value of r-e-n-t-a-l's. GM's panic and lose touch with reality for a few hours. Barrie is basically a Shattenkirk type, crap in his own end but can pile up the points. These players are desirable for the playoff run. Barrie hasn't panned out here but there is no denying what he can do, and has done in the past.

Otay.

Imagine panicking into dealing a 1st rd pick because Tyson Barrie is the “missing piece”...lol.

Oh and the Shattenkirk example, that’s the last rental D that was moved for a 1st. I think you’ll see that move has been viewed as a spectacular failure and as a warning against moving a 1st for a rental D. So, that kinda backs my original point, no?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly _______
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljegren
Dermott Ceci

If not Barrie than who?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Fair enough, I wasnt taking Vancouvers’s ability to fit him cap-wise into consideration when making the comment

If we were speaking purely based on where Tyson would like to play - the answer is Vancouver. And so he was always going to test the market

I suppose that was my initial point I was trying to make

actually Barrie was quoted saying he wants to stay in Toronto.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
actually Barrie was quoted saying he wants to stay in Toronto.
Yeah and John Tavares wanted to stay in Long Island

Actual connections to areas mean more than words unfortunately

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Makes zero sense for the Leafs to trade Barrie unless they (as an organization) feel this isn't their year and want to stock up for next year. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

The leafs need a defensive d-man, not another PP QB offensive minded guy. It makes perfect sense. He's a ufa, leafs are not interesting in re-signing him. Not because he isn't a valuable player, he just doesn't fulfill our needs. Would be ideal to flip him for a good defensive minded player.

Even if this current team makes the playoffs, i think theres about a 90% chance they get bumped out of the first round by Tampa/Boston, Barrie walks for free. We can either get some value OR address the defensive holes and make a move.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Otay.

Imagine panicking into dealing a 1st rd pick because Tyson Barrie is the “missing piece”...lol.

Oh and the Shattenkirk example, that’s the last rental D that was moved for a 1st. I think you’ll see that move has been viewed as a spectacular failure and as a warning against moving a 1st for a rental D. So, that kinda backs my original point, no?
Probably because he was the last good offensive defenceman like him that was moved at the deadline? How many defenceman in the last couple of years can put up points like barries have been moved at the deadline?

you might not like that Barrie can get a 1st+ but that is the going rate for a player like him.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Barrie has been a terrible fit on the Leafs but he still holds trade value. He would get a 1st, 2nd and a couple of warm bodies type return or its player for player. The Leafs would then use some of those assets on a defenseman that is a far better fit.
All the people saying they are giving up makes me laugh. They are being very smart about this.
They have an asset that has value in the open market that is of greater value to their team. move that asset and add an asset that is of better value in that spot.
Be so Dubas if they traded Barrie for assets and then couldn’t swing the deal for another Dman. I swear Dubas barely thinks about defense, and on the rare occasion that he does he thinks about it the wrong way. When they added Barrie it was a head scratcher. Not the defense part, the Barrie part (and that’s not slagging off Barrie).

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Probably because he was the last good offensive defenceman like him that was moved at the deadline? How many defenceman in the last couple of years can put up points like barries have been moved at the deadline?

you might not like that Barrie can get a 1st+ but that is the going rate for a player like him.

I think expecting a 1st in return for him is delusional, let alone an additional “+”, but more power to you I guess. I’ll believe when I see it, and recent history and logic really doesn’t lead me to see it happening.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I think expecting a 1st in return for him is delusional, let alone an additional “+”, but more power to you I guess. I’ll believe when I see it, and recent history and logic really doesn’t lead me to see it happening.

So you're calling the poster delusional for thinking Barrie could return a late 1st?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Well Shattenkirk was traded for a 1st+. And to be honest most trades don’t have logic when it comes to fans. A players value is based off of what a GM is willing to pay. There have been a lot of trades that went down where fans thought the player deserved more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad