Speculation: Canucks GM (+ AGM) Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Good target.

That would be a major hire but like said, I would think that he would look for a better opportunity. As long as Avs remains a good team he's one of the top GM candidates out there. He doesn't need to settle into a situation where he's not given the autonomy to build his own management team.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I wish people would stop spreading this disinformation. The GM of the Vancouver Canucks does not "run a near billion dollar organization." The Canucks website has a link to their "Front Office", how many names on there has direct involvement with hockey trades, UFA signings etc.?

A lot of people are saying that the GM job has gotten more complicated over the years and requires more than one man. As fans, we only associate a GM's job with moves that affect the on ice product. We don't care Benning has done a good job convincing long time luxury box holders to renew. But someone has to do it.

Unless you think the Canucks GM should be running the business side of the business in this day an age then we should be looking at a GM with an MBA and experience running a business.

What misinformation? Jim Benning was the man in charge of running the highest expense of an organization worth a lot of money.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What misinformation? Jim Benning was the man in charge of running the highest expense of an organization worth a lot of money.

He wasn't hired to run the Hockey Operations Department. Linden was. Then Linden left and his boss didn't hire someone else to replace him. He was not running "a near billion dollar organization."

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Targeting MacFarland would dispute the idea that Rutherford is only interested in people he’s already worked with. Botterill has a connection but given how she’s never worked in a front office, it’s basically just a recommendation.

Reactions: tradervik

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Targeting MacFarland would dispute the idea that Rutherford is only interested in people he’s already worked with. Botterill has a connection but given how she’s never worked in a front office, it’s basically just a recommendation.

Who is saying Rutherford is only interested in people he's already worked with though? I mean obviously only is a bit of an exaggeration, but having someone considered a top GM candidate in the market as one of the targets doesn't really dispute much.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
He wasn't hired to run the Hockey Operations Department. Linden was. Then Linden left and his boss didn't hire someone else to replace him. He was not running "a near billion dollar organization."

He took over as head of hockey operations when Linden left.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Francesco's unbreakable confidence in Jim Benning should have his father/brothers sit up and notice and question his judgement in other areas of their business.

He let this guy run the sports franchise into the ground for 7 years, maybe we should second guess it when he makes moves for on the real estate side of things etc.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Who is saying Rutherford is only interested in people he's already worked with though? I mean obviously only is a bit of an exaggeration, but having someone considered a top GM candidate in the market as one of the targets doesn't really dispute much.

Pretty much every person even suggested or talked about for any position until this past Friday was someone who was with him in the Penguins and the only person to be hired by Rutherford worked in the Penguins. Started out being Allvin, Ventura, Botterill, and Karmanos with Mark Hunter the only concrete outsider. All the rumours were that Rutherford had a large list but he's stressed building an office that can work together and that has been interpreted as getting his band back together in some form or another. Since Friday Jennifer Botterill and Chris MacFarland have been added to the list as increasingly strong candidates.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Pretty much every person even suggested or talked about for any position until this past Friday was someone who was with him in the Penguins and the only person to be hired by Rutherford worked in the Penguins. Started out being Allvin, Ventura, Botterill, and Karmanos with Mark Hunter the only concrete outsider. All the rumours were that Rutherford had a large list but he's stressed building an office that can work together and that has been interpreted as getting his band back together in some form or another. Since Friday Jennifer Botterill and Chris MacFarland have been added to the list as increasingly strong candidates.

I get that but I'm not sure who on here are saying that Rutherford is "only interested in people he’s already worked with." I for one never said that despite expressing my reservations over some of the former rumoured Penguins targets.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He took over as head of hockey operations when Linden left.

Well... not exactly? It was "lead our hockey operations group as a GM." That doesn't change my point though. He wasn't hired to run the Hockey Operations Department. Linden was. Then Linden left and his boss didn't hire someone else to replace him. He was not running "a near billion dollar organization." I would say that Aquilinis and the CEO and CFO of Canucks Sports & Entertainment were.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Francesco's unbreakable confidence in Jim Benning should have his father/brothers sit up and notice and question his judgement in other areas of their business.

He let this guy run the sports franchise into the ground for 7 years, maybe we should second guess it when he makes moves for on the real estate side of things etc.
Run into the ground..? ..Lets not get carried away..The team that has won 6 in a row is the team Benning assembled..We're still waiting to see how all the players respond to the new coach..Some are obvious, like Myers playing his best hockey as a Canuck...As JR stated, he's going to give it till the end end of January, but it's not even remotely a tire fire...He's probably pleasantly surprised...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad