Speculation: Canucks GM (+ AGM) Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
If the Canucks ever win a Cup, and it is under the stewardship of even someone who was born as an executive in this JR regime, I wanna see someone make one of those “what if so and so never…” “history will be made” commercials with the music and the backwards footage of the jersey toss.

Reactions: vanuck

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
why is tajclown hyping up jason botterill as some big win if we get him as our GM?

makes 0 sense to me

Reactions: bh53 and Nucker101

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
So we just hiring girls for the sake of it ? what qualifications will Jenn Botteril have ? Have she worked in a nhl team before?

While I agree that bringing her in as an AGM immediately or whatever would be stupid, I don't see what the harm is in bringing someone with a good grasp of the game in as a pro-scout or whatever, and promoting her when it's appropriate. This is the same league where f***ing Pierre McGuire got a job

But yes, there are more qualified female candidates out there.

Reactions: bh53 and Red

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
So we just hiring girls for the sake of it ? what qualifications will Jenn Botteril have ? Have she worked in a nhl team before?
Not entirely sure what botterill’s experience or education is (aside from Harvard). However, hefford and ruggeiro have further related hockey executive type experience.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
She wouldn’t be coming in as an AGM. I think we can all agree that NHL management is basically exclusively white men. If that’s something we want to change, you have to allow people from other walks of life through the door. So, it might well be that there’s someone else who’s marginally more qualified to be assistant VP, but this is the only way to enact change.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
She wouldn’t be coming in as an AGM. I think we can all agree that NHL management is basically exclusively white men. If that’s something we want to change, you have to allow people from other walks of life through the door. So, it might well be that there’s someone else who’s marginally more qualified to be assistant VP, but this is the only way to enact change.

Botterill may not have worked in an NHL front office before, but she’s proven herself a sharp analyst and a gifted public speaker, as well as being a Harvard graduate (not easy). We also know there will be multiple AGMs, which leaves opportunities for others to show her (or whomever they hire) the ropes of the role.

I would have no issue with this at all.

As for the GM search - MacFarland is sure a tantalizing name. If we could poach from either the Avs’ or the Bolts’ front office, that would be amazing - I think those two organizations really know their shit.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I would love to get Jen in here. She would obviously need more experience, but so do the twins. Plus it would be fun to have her here with her brother down the road… more rivalries.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
A lot of subtle misogyny going on in here. Why is it that some people instantly go to the idea that looking to bring a woman in would just be to fill some social agenda or for a handout? Maybe, and hear me out here, maybe there are women who are very, very smart people who have really good insights and relationships in the hockey world? Just a thought. Crazy, I know.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
MacFarland is interesting - he grew up in one of the most poorly run organizations in the league and has kept a low profile. I've listened to a few interviews with him and unlike folks like Tulsky or Gilman, nothing he's said suggests that he is a deep thinker that I would peg as an up and comer.

But at the same time, after a couple shaky years early in Sakic's tenure (for which MacFarland was there for only part of), Colorado's ability to identify undervalued talent and fill out their roster with quality players is up there with the best in the league. That trend seems to coincide with their hiring Arik Parnass to run their analytics group, and as Sakic's right hand man, I assume MacFarland has a good sense of how to integrate different perspectives into decision-making.

As an outside observer, it's hard to know how much of that success can be attributed to him and how much that will carry forward if he moves onto a new team. He seems promising as a candidate though.

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
A lot of subtle misogyny going on in here. Why is it that some people instantly go to the idea that looking to bring a woman in would just be to fill some social agenda or for a handout? Maybe, and hear me out here, maybe there are women who are very, very smart people who have really good insights and relationships in the hockey world? Just a thought. Crazy, I know.

Subtle my ass

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Hey now, I only have so many reasons why I don't have the job that don't involve my own shortcomings. Throw me a bone here.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I definitely think women should be given more opportunities as they naturally lack "NHL experience" because they (except for one) has never played in the NHL. The movement should be from the ground up and it starts by putting women in various hockey operations positions etc.

My issue is qualifications for the job. If I look up a candidate for GM, I should see some sort of relevant experience. I say this regardless of race or gender etc. Jenna Hefford, for example, I see that she has some coaching experience. With Meghan Chayka she was a founder of Stathletes and runs that business. Jennifer Botterill doesn't have anything like that - just a more recognizable last name and an analyst who thought Travis Green was the best coach out in the West last year. That's concerning to me. Of course a lot of it is exposure. With someone like Ray Ferraro, I'm familiar with his views over the years so I would naturally be more comfortable with him being an analyst turned GM not because he's a man. But then again, Bieksa is doing a great job as a hockey analyst and is a former Canuck. Regardless, I don't think an analyst without any other non-playing coaching, scouting, or management experience should be the GM.

There should be something there. Not just the proverbial "smart hockey mind." Gillis was an agent who was on the top of his profession. You generally don't get to that position without being a good negotiator with the ability to identify hockey talent early. There is at least experience negotiating with GMs and AGMs. AGMs who were a big part of successful franchises at least plied their trade in hockey management.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I

People want the team to win, who gives a shit what race or sex someone is. When the President says we certainly don't want "just another white guy" it sends a poor message. What if the very best candidate available is a white guy? We're not going to hire him? Because he's white? Sweet. Lol not to mention this is literally racism but I digress

If she's good she'll get the job, but to flat out say "we don't want another white guy" is just stupid and undermining to any female out there trying to get a job based on merit and not spoon fed diversity

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
People want the team to win, who gives a shit what race or sex someone is. When the President says we certainly don't want "just another white guy" it sends a poor message. What if the very best candidate available is a white guy? We're not going to hire him? Because he's white? Sweet. Lol not to mention this is literally racism but I digress

If she's good she'll get the job, but to flat out say "we don't want another white guy" is just stupid and undermining to any female out there trying to get a job based on merit and not spoon fed diversity
Please show me where I said anything about what Rutherford said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad