Speculation: Canucks GM (+ AGM) Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Because he's white? Sweet. Lol not to mention this is literally racism but I digress

Ah, yes, this was inevitable. My favourite internet warcry about the scourge of racism white people have had to suffer under over the centuries. And the awful scourge of sexism male GM candidates have faced over the last 70 years in trying to get NHL jobs.

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

It's a pretty big leap to say that an unqualified woman is getting a job over a qualified man and to automatically assume this happens just because a woman gets a job. It's pretty sickening to just reduce that to a "diversity hire" and undermine the work these women have done. Who exactly is this amazing qualified man who has lost out an AGM role to an imaginary woman we have yet to hire?

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Ah, yes, this was inevitable. My favourite internet warcry about the scourge of racism white people have had to suffer under over the centuries. And the awful scourge of sexism male GM candidates have faced over the last 70 years in trying to get NHL jobs.

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

It's a pretty big leap to say that an unqualified woman is getting a job over a qualified man and to automatically assume this happens just because a woman gets a job. It's pretty sickening to just reduce that to a "diversity hire" and undermine the work these women have done. Who exactly is this amazing qualified man who has lost out an AGM role to an imaginary woman we have yet to hire?
Pretty much everything I've read in here just goes to show how hard it is for women in the workforce. People will always rationalize it for themselves, but it's pretty obvious that it just comes down to "a man can do anything a woman can, and better" ideology.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Pretty much everything I've read in here just goes to show how hard it is for women in the workforce. People will always rationalize it for themselves, but it's pretty obvious that it just comes down to "a man can do anything a woman can, and better" ideology.

Literally some of the posts comparing men to "girls", I can't even imagine more overt sexism than that. Can you imagine showing up to work and your colleagues are called "qualified", "men". And you're called a "diversity hire", "girl". I just showed this thread to my partner and she was actually quite shaken by some of the comments (she used to read and post here and doesn't anymore precisely because of this stuff). She said it was a bit shocking to see that these opinions and attitudes are still so common, just hidden more on the internet now. I genuinely actually feel bad for the first woman who gets a higher role in an NHL team, because the undeserved vitriol from fans will be off the hook and I hope she can tune it out.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Who are the more qualified women candidates? As far as I can tell, Jenn Botterill would be a fantastic hire in a AGM role with the organization.

lots since Botterill has a BA in Psychology and her most recent job is an analyst. Also she's not filling in for the AGM role but another role for the team. If we bring in a AGM with these qualifications I wouldn't be too happy with this type of move. The Sedins can at least say that they played the game for 19 years , and experienced and can argue they know what is true talent and will utilize their experience in the NHL to identify up and coming NHL players and so for and will do the best to learn the game and so for.

now looking at females currently in the NHL Valerie Camillo serves as the Flyers President, Business Operations, Alternate Governor. Valerie Camillo - Wikipedia she however has NO NHL BACKGROUND or hockey background at all, but she's the president of the flyers. however it's her experience and educational background that got her into major sports in the first place. again this thread is looking for AGM and GM candidates. I can't imagine any NHL team holding up back one of their assistance from becoming a gm of our team. It's a promotional move not a lateral move.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Literally some of the posts comparing men to "girls", I can't even imagine more overt sexism than that. Can you imagine showing up to work and your colleagues are called "qualified", "men". And you're called a "diversity hire", "girl". I just showed this thread to my partner and she was actually quite shaken by some of the comments (she used to read and post here and doesn't anymore precisely because of this stuff). She said it was a bit shocking to see that these opinions and attitudes are still so common, just hidden more on the internet now. I genuinely actually feel bad for the first woman who gets a higher role in an NHL team, because the undeserved vitriol from fans will be off the hook and I hope she can tune it out.
With all due respect, HF has an older demographic as it's users. I've literally seen posts degrading young people as dumb, inexperienced and arrogant, completely unwilling to learn from "experience" received with great acclaim.

It's this regressive thinking that holds back the progess society is primed to achieve. But no, it's too easy to just say that "kids" are just about canceling stuff, and their social justice. It's infantilizing, much like calling women "girls" and hypocritical, because they take offense to being generalized, yet do the same.

I assure you that outrage and cancel culture has always existed in some form or another. Remember when we used to cancel women by accusing them of being witches and burning them at the stake? Most of these witchhunts were merely the outcome of politics, communal feuds and heresy. Doesn't that sound familiar?

We need more people that are willing to think outside the box. I believe that there needs to be more opportunities for people from different backgrounds and sometimes it comes only with adressing certain institutional biases. Hockey is undoubtedly the most conservative of the Big 4 sports, steeped in tradition and culture. You had people decry Zegras' pass as disrespectful, people calling Matthews' fashion sense trashy. I remember the thread on the 1st female drafted in the OHL, it went about as expected.

Things are well long overdue for a change in hockey. Even if it means tipping the scales a bit to balance things out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
With all due respect, HF has an older demographic as it's users. I've literally seen posts degrading young people as dumb, inexperienced and arrogant, completely unwilling to learn from "experience" received with great acclaim.

It's this regressive thinking that holds back the progess society is primed to achieve. But no, it's too easy to just say that "kids" are just about canceling stuff, and their social justice. It's infantilizing, much like calling women "girls" and hypocritical, because they take offense to being generalized, yet do the same.

I assure you that outrage and cancel culture has always existed in some form or another. Remember when we used to cancel women by accusing them of being witches and burning them at the stake? Most of these witchhunts were merely the outcome of politics, communal feuds and heresy. Doesn't that sound familiar?

We need more people that are willing to think outside the box. I believe that there needs to be more opportunities for people from different backgrounds and sometimes it comes only with adressing certain institutional biases. Hockey is undoubtedly the most conservative of the Big 4 sports, steeped in tradition and culture. You had people decry Zegras' pass as disrespectful, people calling Matthews' fashion sense trashy. I remember the thread on the 1st female drafted in the OHL, it went about as expected.

Things are well long overdue for a change in hockey. Even if it means tipping the scales a bit to balance things out.

I just want to ask... are you sure people calling Matthews' fashion sense trashy isn't related to him pulling his pants down and mooning young women in the middle of the night? :popcorn:

Reactions: lawrence

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Too much arguing about whether there should be affirmative action like preference for hiring women and not enough arguing about what we should do about it. Clearly there already is societal preference for more women taking senior and high profile jobs. The NHL is not leading this trend, it is relatively far behind.

So given that teams will be increasingly looking to bring in women, we might as well be an early adopter and try to get the best female candidate before the small pool of well-qualified women is gone.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Too much arguing about whether there should be affirmative action like preference for hiring women and not enough arguing about what we should do about it. Clearly there already is societal preference for more women taking senior and high profile jobs. The NHL is not leading this trend, it is relatively far behind.

So given that teams will be increasingly looking to bring in women, we might as well be an early adopter and try to get the best female candidate before the small pool of well-qualified women is gone.
You are also assuming there’s only a small pool. I suppose it’s easy to just go with familiar/ Olympic related names. I am sure there’s many other women out there that could run-shit even not have had played hockey before.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Take advantage of a market inefficiency before the market even notices. It’s the absolute best way to be successful.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Kinda off topic but what do you think will be hire next? Another agm or the gm? I think it will be the gm as it seems just a little weird to have 3 agms unrelated to the gm.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I think people vastly over-rate high end hockey playing experience. There is a lot of people who you can hire to scout players and whatnot.

What you want in your management is critical thinkers who look for innovative ways to improve performance and yes many women would be qualified for that position. The fact we had a barely educated man try and run a near billion dollar organization is literally insane.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think people vastly over-rate high end hockey playing experience. There is a lot of people who you can hire to scout players and whatnot.

What you want in your management is critical thinkers who look for innovative ways to improve performance and yes many women would be qualified for that position. The fact we had a barely educated man try and run a near billion dollar organization is literally insane.

Knowing how to chip the puck off the glass sure doesn't help you understand the CBA, or how to manage personnel.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Knowing how to chip the puck off the glass sure doesn't help you understand the CBA, or how to manage personnel.

I would add that in a cap world, the GM has to be a chess player thinking several moves ahead and considering multiple paths.

Reactions: vanuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

What is Jim Rutherfords education level..?...or Joe Sakic's and Steve Yzerman.?..Pretty sure they were high school equivalents as was Bennings...A bit of a pompous comment..imo...There's been just as many highly educated big brain GM's fired, as there has been ex-players.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I would say based on this thread that people underrate front-office experience, whether that's in the NHL or another level of hockey.

So yes, get critical thinkers in your organization - man, woman, black, white.. whatever. Give them experience in the NHL or AHL front-office environment. Then, they'll be well-positioned for upper management roles.

Reactions: F A N

BuzzBuzz

Apr 7, 2011

This reminds me so much of when Gareth Snow was hired to be a GM of the Islanders.

“I’m not as inexperienced as you think,” said Snow, who will turn 37 later this month. “I’ve watched a lot of hockey the past few years and probably from the best seat in the house.

“As sad as it may be, I have a copy of the CBA and I read it in my spare time.”

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Reddit Canucks thinks Botterill is locked in based on the way she responded.

i might not agree with this move but I will be polling for whoever we hire.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013

Reddit Canucks thinks Botterill is locked in based on the way she responded.

i might not agree with this move but I will be polling for whoever we hire.

She’s smart, and isn’t some old haggard dinosaur like most recycled execs. I think she will bring something great to the table, some fresh ideas and hopefully that forward thinking.

No issues if it’s her

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
i mean gary mason is the most connected media member we have and friedman only reports what the owners are ok with him reporting about the team really so this says a lot

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
She’s smart, and isn’t some old haggard dinosaur like most recycled execs. I think she will bring something great to the table, some fresh ideas and hopefully that forward thinking.

No issues if it’s her

She did a good job there. I could see it working out well to give her a shot but who really knows. I think for it to work, you have to completely change the organizations culture and that is what excites me most. Maybe we start seeing some of the useless holdovers get the boot.

Reactions: vanuck and mathonwy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad