Rumor: Canucks extremely active

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Switch that to an A level prospect and a deal could be had
How does trading Carlo for a undersized forward improve the Bruins ? Not a knock on Gaudette as a player but the Bruins need some physical players in their line up...........Please stop the home town crap it means nothing. Maybe in the future he would look good in a bruins uniform , but right now he does not fill their needs...........

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Leafs had to give up a 1st to get rid of Marleau , who had a similar contract. No way a 3rd gets It done

The Marleau trade was a very different scenario. Eriksson would be your standard capdump deal but due to the flatcap the value makes it a little more expensive in my book (due to many people looking to getting some capspace). Marleau on the other hand was very open about not accepting a trade from the leafs unless he was bought out by his 'new' team and there was only one team in the NHL that were willing to do that so it obviously came at a huge price. The Marleau deal is irrelevant for any team trying to offload a player.

I agree that a 3rd won't get it done because Ottawa should weaponize the flatcap to milk it for all they can get.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Hopefully with the Bobby Ryan buyout and the sens looking to reach the cap floor Benning is making some calls that way to get rid of Loui.

To Ottawa - Erickson & 2021 3rd round pick
To Vancouver - 2020 5th round pick

Helps Ottawa get to the the cap floor, picks could be changed just don't think Benning would give up a first to shed Loui but who knows.

I think that is extremely low offer to get rid of Eriksson. Sorry, but Bruins moved Backes and it cost a 1st and he had one less year on his contract.

Reactions: TheNewKid

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
How does trading Carlo for a undersized forward improve the Bruins ? Not a knock on Gaudette as a player but the Bruins need some physical players in their line up...........Please stop the home town crap it means nothing. Maybe in the future he would look good in a bruins uniform , but right now he does not fill their needs...........
Gaudette is 6’1 since when is that undersized? :laugh:

BuresMafiaBuddies

Aug 22, 2020
Benning ain’t going to get shit done.

You can call everyone under the sun but with a flat cap, he’s made his own bed and has to live with it.

Always love the keyboard warriors who act like they know something.

You don't know CHIT, about CHIT my boy. Benning has done just fine rebuilding this franchise, he will figure out a way to get it done this offseason as well.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Always love the keyboard warriors who act like they know something.

You don't know CHIT, about CHIT my boy. Benning has done just fine rebuilding this franchise, he will figure out a way to get it done this offseason as well.

Just fine eh, cap strapped team who is just turning the corner and can't sign his current players or upgrade the team due to his plethora of horrible contracts handed out by him hindering the team...

JB has done ok, whiffed on some high draft picks, gotten a couple studs that basically saved his job imo and now he is tasked with improving the team while not giving out NMC or term contracts to existing Canucks looking for a new deal or trying to acquiring the right pieces to improve our team while walking away from the same Canucks who are just getting older

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
The Marleau trade was a very different scenario. Eriksson would be your standard capdump deal but due to the flatcap the value makes it a little more expensive in my book (due to many people looking to getting some capspace). Marleau on the other hand was very open about not accepting a trade from the leafs unless he was bought out by his 'new' team and there was only one team in the NHL that were willing to do that so it obviously came at a huge price. The Marleau deal is irrelevant for any team trying to offload a player.

I agree that a 3rd won't get it done because Ottawa should weaponize the flatcap to milk it for all they can get.

Youre right in that its different.
Carolina received a 1st for buying out a 7mil cap hit. Pre Pandemic

Eriksson is a high cap hit with lower dollars owed. This is a cash saving move mid pandemic
when teams are suffering dollar wise.

If there was no pandemic it would easily cost over a 1st.

But when a team is only paying 5million on a 12million cap hit during a pandemic the cost of what it would of been drastically changes. Thats 7mil in savings for a team looking to be near cap floor to 70 mil(allows them to dump more mid season or tdl). Thats good for Arz, Buf, Fla, Ott, and any team that decides to rebuild this year (LA/SJ etc)

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
he weighs 170 lbs

Pretty sure that's outdated (as it was the same listed weight from 5 years ago). Northeastern had him listed at 184lbs, and that was 2+ years ago. If Adam Gaudette was really that light, both Quinn Hughes & Elias Pettersson would have more body density. Haha

He looks pretty average in size tbh, wouldn't be surprised if he's still around 184lbs-ish.

Last edited:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I think it’s time to take eriksson out of the equation. Only way I see him being traded is for a similarly bad contract (maybe one that only saves Canucks a little cap).

Maybe it’s time to put more focus on trading Sutter (1yr @ $4.375M). Still a “useful” bottom 6 centre or wing that can bring leadership or kill penalties.

Maybe a basis of Sutter & Virtanen?

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City

I think real dollars come into the equation more than we look at around here. I believe Marleau was owed $6 Million real word cash. Whoever acquired him was on the books for that money, and that means a hell of a lot to teams. Marleau was also never ever going to play for the team. That was a case of buying a draft pick.

Louie is owed $2.5 million with a cap hit of $6, correct? That could be an asset for a cash strapped team looking to hit the cap floor. At the least a team with no Cap issues could decide if Louie is a $2.5 million player who would have a spot in the lineup.

Is Louie worth $2.5 million? A few teams can handle the cap hit for two years (even with a flat cap), so I can see the cost associated with moving him being less than many others.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If the cost for Carlo is someone like hometown boy Gaudette, then for sure I'd be down

Gaudette + B level prospect and 2nd rounder

Sign me up for Carlo.

Walk away from Tanev

Carlo- Hughes pairing

I didnt follow the Bruins much this year though so i dont know how much they value Carlo and what kinda of significant role he played for the this year but clearly he is a very 1 dimensional player.
That’s akin to Lauzon + B prospect for Horvat

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I sure hope the Canucks don't do something drastic that they end up regretting. I don't understand why some of these up-and-coming teams who are gelling into very nice clubs decide to do something overly-fancy, and risk it backfiring--like the Leafs with Tavares. Continue building, surgically add missing elements, and go from there. After watching the Canucks take the next step, the last thing they need to do is be "extremely active." Sometimes teams just can't help themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad