Rumor: Canucks extremely active

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This virtanen move reminds me of neely coming to Boston. Big tough underachieving winger with oodles of potential and finds his game in beantown and becomes a legend.
Neely was traded at age 21 with three decent NHL seasons under his belt. Virtanen is age 24 and just had his first good season. The two cases aren’t that similar imo. Doesn’t mean that Virtanen can’t still break out big time but it would be a clear outlier at this point.

Reactions: wintersej

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
At this point, I would actually like to see Virtanen move on and achieve his potential elsewhere. Sure, it'd be frustrating (and particularly so if it's in Boston), but he is so very clearly not achieving it here. It's a comfort thing: he needs to be thrust into an environment away from home, where he isn't this Roxy-frequenting local celebrity, and he'll adjust his mindset and focus. It's not like he has to do MUCH to get there - it's mostly between the ears.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
You obviously didn’t watch the playoffs then? Boeser had 11 points in 17 games and was a fantastic all around player even when he didn’t show up on the scoresheet. But I’m done having this conversation with someone who’s clearly either unable to judge talent or didn’t watch him play. Also him being injured is so irrelevant on him being a complete player..
Just to add on to this:

(starting at 2:45) Here, Boeser talks about his commitment to a 200 ft game and how he was happy with his. Why would he be happy about his play if his 200ft game was trash? Clearly the coaching staff gave him positive feedback towards it, or else he wouldn't have been happy with it. He's obviously not a Selke guy but his dzone play has improved and will hopefully continue to do so.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You obviously didn’t watch the playoffs then? Boeser had 11 points in 17 games and was a fantastic all around player even when he didn’t show up on the scoresheet. But I’m done having this conversation with someone who’s clearly either unable to judge talent or didn’t watch him play. Also him being injured is so irrelevant on him being a complete player..

I live in Vancouver, and watched most of the games.

11 points in 17 games is good, but not great. Especially when you have playmakers like Hughes and Pettersson on your team. That's only .65 PPG.

No ones even arguing that Boeser isn't a great player. I'd love to have him on the Flames. Does he fit most people's definition of "complete", no. He's not physical. He's not especially great in his own end.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

11 points in 17 games is good, but not great. Especially when you have playmakers like Hughes and Pettersson on your team. That's only .65 PPG.

No ones even arguing that Boeser isn't a great player. I'd love to have him on the Flames. Does he fit most people's definition of "complete", no. He's not physical. He's not especially great in his own end.
.65 PPG is great for the playoffs...He's not overly physical but he finishes his checks and is just fine in his own end. Watch the interview Nazzlind posted. There's no point continuing this argument if its just your opinion even though no Canucks fan will agree with you.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
.65 PPG is great for the playoffs...He's not overly physical but he finishes his checks and is just fine in his own end. Watch the interview Nazzlind posted. There's no point continuing this argument if its just your opinion even though no Canucks fan will agree with you.

.65 PPG puts him 85th overall in the playoffs....that's okay.

Reactions: wintersej

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Virtanen is not Neely. From his draft day potential he avoided being a bust which is good but in the end levelled off at the Raffi Torres level, which was always a potential outcome with him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
So how exactly do you value lindholm then and his career .533 playoff resume.
He has not played well in the playoffs. A .65 ppg would not have been great either.

Lindholm has played in two years of playoffs. In both years his goal scoring fell significantly vs his regular season play.

See... That's how fans of most teams evaluate their own players. For some reasons the Canucks fans are obsessed with calling their players gritty, elite, complete, etc.... It's quite odd actually.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I don't have a horse in this race, but if you refine the search to >10 games played Boeser ranks 38th.

But how many teams actually played greater than 10 games?

.65 ppg is okay production for a top line to second line forward. It's nothing amazing. Milan Lucic had .6 PPG. When do Canucks fans accept that their very average players aren't super special.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That's a sad attempt to make a point.

It's not at all. I was responding to a poster that stated that .65 PPG was good for the playoffs, insinuating that PPG scoring drops in the playoffs. However, I was showing that this simply was not true this year. Many players kept up or even improved upon their scoring pace during the playoffs. MacKinnon had 1.67 PPG. 0.65 is fine, but it's nothing to write home about, especially when you're getting a lot of playing time with Pettersson.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Heard it on talk radio this morning that the Canucks have given Markstrom a deadline to negotiate. Not sure when that deadline is.

They said Markstrom is their number 1 priority but they dont want to be left on free agency day with their tail caught between their legs because they spent all their time on Markstrom for nothing.

They said they have a specific walk away number in terms of AAV and term.

Finally they said that they have deals and trades in place and ready to accept but they have to wait for the first domino to fall which is Markstrom

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Heard it on talk radio this morning that the Canucks have given Markstrom a deadline to negotiate. Not sure when that deadline is.

They said Markstrom is their number 1 priority but they dont want to be left on free agency day with their tail caught between their legs because they spent all their time on Markstrom for nothing.

Finally they said that they have deals and trades in place and ready to accept but they have to wait for the first domino to fall which is Markstrom

Makes me think Demko is one of the players involved in a trade.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Makes me think Demko is one of the players involved in a trade.

Doubt it , unless its a huge over payment and one that Benning just cant refuse.

Canucks have already publically stated that Demko is their goalie of the future.

Having Markstrom not get a NMC is probably one of the hang ups in the neogitation. Benning doesnt want to give markstrom one so he can protect Demko from Seattle.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

.65 ppg is okay production for a top line to second line forward. It's nothing amazing. Milan Lucic had .6 PPG. When do Canucks fans accept that their very average players aren't super special.

If you want to limit it to over 7 games he ranks 39th. That would be at least 16 teams, as every team would've played a minimum of 3 games from the play-ins and 4 games in the 1st round.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Just admit you made a mistake and move on.
It’s ridiculous to put players with such small sample sizes in the mix and you know it. You’d be outraged if people did that to players on your team and rightly so.
For the record, I agree with your overall point that Boeser is as of now not a complete player. He still has some things to work on defensively and I suspect that injuries have been partly responsible for that. He’s young and still is a work in progress but definitely not a complete player yet.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I have to agree with you. No Boeser does not have a "complete game" for the reasons you listed above, but he is also far from one dimensional.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just admit you made a mistake and move on.
It’s ridiculous to put players with such small sample sizes in the mix and you know it. You’d be outraged if people did that to players on your team and rightly so.
For the record, I agree with your overall point that Boeser is as of now not a complete player. He still has some things to work on defensively and I suspect that injuries have been partly responsible for that. He’s young and still is a work in progress but definitely not a complete player yet.

No I was directly responding to a poster that stated Boeser had a "fantastic" playoff performance and specifically brought up his 11 points in 17 games.

I agree with your statement about Boeser being a "young and still is a work in progress but definitely not a complete player yet". I actually think Boeser is a great player and would love him on the Flames. Once again, this whole argument is with Canucks fans who seem to be dubiously pushing the argument that Boeser is already "extremely complete" as a player.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Hopefully that “drop dead” date for Marky to sign is soon. Maybe it’s best to move on from Marky anyway?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Very average players? Now you’re just trolling. Move on and worry about your own very average team. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad