Rumor: Canucks extremely active

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I was ready to move on from Tanev, last year was the first time in a long time he was healthy because years previous would be ‘Tanev to the IR’

Even more than that, Tanev actually did get injured again this year and was expected to be out 3-5 weeks. The cancellation of subsequent games immediately after the injury because of Covid kind of masked that fact.

The Canucks will likely regress next season, but I can't regret them not signing Marky or Tanev once I see the deals they got. Those could've handcuffed the future. Seeing the Toffoli deal, I'm on the fence. If Stetcher had been available to the Canucks for a 2 year deal for $1.7M AAV, that looks like one worth grabbing. Obviously there could be still more to play out, but if no handcuffing deals are made going - and knowing how many contracts are expiring in the near-term - I do value the blank slate we're going to have with some nice looking core pieces. And hopefully a growing cap in a couple years when it comes time to fill out the roster.

DemampCamp

Mar 3, 2012
VanCity
I get Vancouvers core going forward is Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat, Demko, Miller, and I can see we will need to resign Petey Hughes and demko coming up . But the canucks biggest need here is defense, they need an overhaul of that blue line big time. We have so many Contracts coming off the books in the next 2 years Benning needs to focus on complimenting the core not just next year but the following years, if he's not going to be signing anyone and filling the line up with rookies he should at least be trying to resign petey and Hughes to new contracts asap, try and get them signed to identical 8 x 8 contracts and focus on getting a better defense core for the next 3 - 4 years.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
So active. So much activity, I can't handle it.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Bouboumaster

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I think Rafferty could, but he was not that good defensively in the AHL. He’ll need to make huge strides to not be a liablity. Stecher always did well defensively when not overplayed in the top 4, in the NHL.

Chatfield...no chance. I was a big fan when we signed him. But he hasn’t progressed at all. He is an AHL lifer imo.
True, this is also a perfect year to sit back and see what some young guys can do. No gate revenue makes it a perfect year to do this as FA literally can't lose any more money this year.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Serious question, WTF is Benning doing? He has let Tanev, Stetcher, Toffali and Markstrom go and replaced them with Holtby.

Isn't the goal of free agency to get better?
-Markstrom got too much for too long when you have Demko ready.
-Stecher is OK, but very replaceable. We have 3 D in the minors that will get a shit at his role.
-Tanev will be missed, but signing him for 4 years I’d too long. He will be on the downhill when we are ready to take a run at it.
-Toffoli got a fair deal. He is a 45-50 point winger. That deal could look good, or real bad in a few years.

Let’s let this play out before getting too critical. Benning needs to make two moves- find a toffoli and Tanev replacement. There’s lots of times and lots of options left for that.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Serious question, WTF is Benning doing? He has let Tanev, Stetcher, Toffali and Markstrom go and replaced them with Holtby.

Isn't the goal of free agency to get better?

He’s trying to figure out which of Buffalo’s defensemen he wants... Ristolainen, Montour or Miller...

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Even more than that, Tanev actually did get injured again this year and was expected to be out 3-5 weeks. The cancellation of subsequent games immediately after the injury because of Covid kind of masked that fact.

The Canucks will likely regress next season, but I can't regret them not signing Marky or Tanev once I see the deals they got. Those could've handcuffed the future. Seeing the Toffoli deal, I'm on the fence. If Stetcher had been available to the Canucks for a 2 year deal for $1.7M AAV, that looks like one worth grabbing. Obviously there could be still more to play out, but if no handcuffing deals are made going - and knowing how many contracts are expiring in the near-term - I do value the blank slate we're going to have with some nice looking core pieces. And hopefully a growing cap in a couple years when it comes time to fill out the roster.
Nate Schmidt > Chris Tanev by a long shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad