Rumor: Canucks extremely active

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
With jethro jim at the wheel, the less activity is the best activity

I don’t wanna steal someone else’s content, so whoever here said the following, I credit you-

Benning armed with Vancouver’s full compliment of future draft picks, and extensions needed for hughes and pettersson is really scary. He must not be allowed to be the one to move the team forward.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Serious question, WTF is Benning doing? He has let Tanev, Stetcher, Toffali and Markstrom go and replaced them with Holtby.

Isn't the goal of free agency to get better?
Who knows. For now I give him the benefit of the doubt since our team has improved each year these last few years. We also don't know what is going on behind the scenes with ownership. But he needs to do something to show ownership and fans he has a direction for this team.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
... active at letting his pending UFA’s walk out the door without any replacements.

He’s handcuffed himself with some horrible contracts to 3 or 4 players. That will screw you over more often then not and Vancouver is just stuck between the 8-ball here.

Reactions: DemampCamp

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Serious question, WTF is Benning doing? He has let Tanev, Stetcher, Toffali and Markstrom go and replaced them with Holtby.

They have limited cap space due in part to a previously signed contracts so they had to make some tough decisions. With regards to Markstrom, their decision was probably affected by the impending Expansion Draft. If they matched Calgary's offer which included a NMC, that would have meant exposing or trading Demko. Toffoli is not the first rental winger to sign elsewhere.

Free agency isn't over quite yet, I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver signed a RD or two.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Who knows. For now I give him the benefit of the doubt since our team has improved each year these last few years. We also don't know what is going on behind the scenes with ownership. But he needs to do something to show ownership and fans he has a direction for this team.

If he signs Hoffman or Dadanov that replaces Toffoli but it is going to be hard to replace Tanev and fit someone with Stetcher's value (decent cheap defensemen).

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Alright then
I am a big fan of Tanev personally and I think they should have figured out a way to keep him. He was the perfect partner for Hughes.
He was but 4 years is too long to bank on Tanev even coming close to repeating this season. Too injury prone. Toffoli and Stecher are who should have been resigned at their cap hit and term :(

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Not upset about Tanev or Markstrom as at their age and with their injury history those contracts were a risk.

Stecher was odd. He's a bottom pairing D so he's replaceable but at 1.7 why not just sign him?

Toffoli is what confuses me the most. If we can't afford him at that (incredibly reasonable) price then something better be going on behind the scenes. Otherwise that's just bad.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Ferland, Luongo recapture are all killing the Canucks cap space and only one of them are a full time player for the Canucks!

Hockey media knows if they talk up a market place like Vancouver or Toronto with rumours that they’ll drive clicks and traffic to help sell ads on their site. You can’t rely on click bite stuff, even the insiders will take something small and try and run with it drive traffic.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Not upset about Tanev or Markstrom as at their age and with their injury history those contracts were a risk.

Stecher was odd. He's a bottom pairing D so he's replaceable but at 1.7 why not just sign him?

Toffoli is what confuses me the most. If we can't afford him at that (incredibly reasonable) price then something better be going on behind the scenes. Otherwise that's just bad.

They saw our D core take a massive step back and we don’t have a proper fix for it. I think Toffoli was let go because they figure it’ll take time to improve the D core and re-signing Toffoli now doesn’t make sense.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Alright then
I am a big fan of Tanev personally and I think they should have figured out a way to keep him. He was the perfect partner for Hughes.

I was ready to move on from Tanev, last year was the first time in a long time he was healthy because years previous would be ‘Tanev to the IR’

I knew this would happen but HF Boardds Canucks with their ‘hope’ and wisdom thought they would sign some pieces back.

I didn’t, it is what it is.

Also HF Canucks - never happy, never satisfied

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I don’t think the issue was not resigning Toffoli, the issue was trading for him in the first place. Your two best players are super young. Why move young assets for an expiring middle 6 RW? Toffoli is just a guy and Canucks were not real contenders

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Ferland, Luongo recapture are all killing the Canucks cap space and only one of them are a full time player for the Canucks!

Hockey media knows if they talk up a market place like Vancouver or Toronto with rumours that they’ll drive clicks and traffic to help sell ads on their site. You can’t rely on click bite stuff, even the insiders will take something small and try and run with it drive traffic.
Whatever happened to Baertschi? His stat line wasn’t terrible the previous years but I’m not too familiar with him, was the forward group just too crowded the past season? Is Vancouver gonna be forced to ice him this upcoming season?

Ferland seems to have some concussion issues, I imagine he may be a candidate for LTIR

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Whatever happened to Baertschi? His stat line wasn’t terrible the previous years but I’m not too familiar with him, was the forward group just too crowded the past season? Is Vancouver gonna be forced to ice him this upcoming season?

Ferland seems to have some concussion issues, I imagine he may be a candidate for LTIR
Baer is a fine bottom 6er who is absolutely abysmal in his own end.

Ferland keeps trying to play so we can’t bank on his salary being LTIR

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
They saw our D core take a massive step back and we don’t have a proper fix for it. I think Toffoli was let go because they figure it’ll take time to improve the D core and re-signing Toffoli now doesn’t make sense.
I think you're giving them way too much credit. They can't see past their nose.

Trading for TT last trade deadline is a trade that a contender makes, not a fringe playoff team. That to me shows extreme lack of foresight.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I was ready to move on from Tanev, last year was the first time in a long time he was healthy because years previous would be ‘Tanev to the IR’

I knew this would happen but HF Boardds Canucks with their ‘hope’ and wisdom thought they would sign some pieces back.

I didn’t, it is what it is.

Also HF Canucks - never happy, never satisfied
We could win the cup and they would complain that we don't have the 1oa as well.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don’t think the issue was not resigning Toffoli, the issue was trading for him in the first place. Your two best players are super young. Why move young assets for an expiring middle 6 RW? Toffoli is just a guy and Canucks were not real contenders

As much as we like to think it's Stanley Cup or bust, there is value to be had in playoff revenue. I don't think anybody anticipated having to play in empty arenas when the trade deadline happened, but you're still running a business. A couple home playoff dates usually means a couple million in extra revenue. Vancouver was a bounce or three away from making the Conference Finals and that sort of the experience can be great for a young core.

I don't any Blackhawk fans lost sleep over the team trading a young James Wiesniewski for Sami Pahlsson at the 2009 deadline. That playoff run was a precursor to their eventual Cup runs.

Edit: The trade deadline feels like 10 years ago so my memory is fuzzy but I seem to recall Boeser being out with an extended injury at the time, so Toffoli was brought in to fill that void. Due to the extended break, Boeser had time to recuperate?

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I’m the biggest Benning hater out there but it actually doesn’t bother me too much that he didn’t sign Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli. I’m sick of giving term to 30 year olds.

I am a bit annoyed with him letting Stecher go for so cheap. Could we really not match that deal? And most of all, it’s ok to lose Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli, but if you do, you NEED to improve the defence. That is non negotiable. And so for he hasn’t done shit in that regard.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I feel that Rafferty or Chatfield could replace Stetcher.
I think Rafferty could, but he was not that good defensively in the AHL. He’ll need to make huge strides to not be a liablity. Stecher always did well defensively when not overplayed in the top 4, in the NHL.

Chatfield...no chance. I was a big fan when we signed him. But he hasn’t progressed at all. He is an AHL lifer imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad