Rumor: Canucks extremely active

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Okay....Boeser came into the league with bad defensive and physical game. Yes, he may have improved on that, but he still remains below average defensively. His defensive and physical game remains below average. When I think of an "extremely complete" player, it's a player that excels at all aspects of the game, including defense and the physical game.

I'd argue that Boeser is the least complete player on his line. How can he possibly be "extremely complete"? You've got other posters comparing them to the Sedins, defensively. The Sedins were not good defensively, and Boeser has a ways to go before he's at their level.

On top of all this Boeser is injury prone.

I know it’s early but I just want to double check you really meant that. There’s no way a Flames fan would be berating the Sedins who literally owned them for a decade...even if it is defensively, they were good defensive players.

Seriously can’t believe this take haha. Credibility is gone with that one chief.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Waste would be if they were bottom feeders and are growing up in a toxic losing culture which isnt the case.

As this year proved, you just need a ticket to the dance and anything can happen.

We dont have the flexebility to "go fo it" and be "all in" in the next year or two, nor should we be.

Solid point. I'm not saying all in now but priority #1 should be deciding on goal and upgrading the D. They have too many wingers and cap locked into them and bottom six. Shuffle that money now while the two best players are making pennies.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Solid point. I'm not saying all in now but priority #1 should be deciding on goal and upgrading the D. They have too many wingers and cap locked into them and bottom six. Shuffle that money now while the two best players are making pennies.

I think the Canucks have already decided their goalie situation.

Theyve made an offer to Markstrom and are holding pat to see who blinks first. I think they have a walk away point in terms of money and AAV for Markstrom. They would love to have him back but they wont compromise being handcuffed in a couple years.

Plan B will be to sign a a very capable backup if MArky walks. There's already multiple reports that Vancouver is on a lot of destination list for goalies if that happens. Id think theyd look into guys like Talbot, Greiss, Holtby etc who will come in cheaper.

As for defence, I dont think they have Tanev high high on their priority list right now. This maybe because of Tanev's ridiculous injury history and again going back to what's that going to look like in 2 years.

They will look into other options if he walks, guys like Demelo, Dillon, Polak etc. short term, no big money.

I can even see Tyson Barrie signing a 1 year show me deal to try and pump up his stats playing for the young Canucks

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I know it’s early but I just want to double check you really meant that. There’s no way a Flames fan would be berating the Sedins who literally owned them for a decade...even if it is defensively, they were good defensive players.

Seriously can’t believe this take haha. Credibility is gone with that one chief.

The Sedins started off playing some defence. By the time, they were playing in their prime, the Sedins were getting an absurd 79.4% offensive zone starts. To put that into perspective, the highest amount of offensive zone starts that Ovechkin has ever gotten in a season is 59.7%, and that's considered high. Kessel, wh0 is known as one of the worst defensive players to ever play the game, has a career high of 65.6.

I think you have some rose coloured glasses on thinking about the good old times.

This is actually all pretty hilarious....you guys are using the Sedins as some kind of benchmark of great defensive play to state that Boeser is an "extremely complete" player....That's like using Russia as the standard for open press, and stating that China is almost at that level making them an extremely complete democracy.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Okay....Boeser came into the league with bad defensive and physical game. Yes, he may have improved on that, but he still remains below average defensively. His defensive and physical game remains below average. When I think of an "extremely complete" player, it's a player that excels at all aspects of the game, including defense and the physical game.

I'd argue that Boeser is the least complete player on his line. How can he possibly be "extremely complete"? You've got other posters comparing them to the Sedins, defensively. The Sedins were not good defensively, and Boeser has a ways to go before he's at their level.

On top of all this Boeser is injury prone.
The Sedins were actually really smart defensively and got some Selke votes. Just because they weren’t physical doesn’t mean they weren’t complete players. And sorry maybe you’re misinterpreting what I’m saying. I’m trying to say that Brock Boeser is not a one trick pony and just a one dimensional shoot first winger. He is sound defensively and an excellent playmaker. Boeser is not below average defensively though.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
The Sedins started off playing some defence. By the time, they were playing in their prime, the Sedins were getting an absurd 79.4% offensive zone starts. To put that into perspective, the highest amount of offensive zone starts that Ovechkin has ever gotten in a season is 59.7%, and that's considered high. Kessel, wh0 is known as one of the worst defensive players to ever play the game, has a career high of 65.6.

I think you have some rose coloured glasses on thinking about the good old times.

This is actually all pretty hilarious....you guys are using the Sedins as some kind of benchmark of great defensive play to state that Boeser is an "extremely complete" player....That's like using Russia as the standard for open press, and stating that China is almost at that level making them an extremely complete democracy.

This list of Selke votes covers their peaks to when the started to decline.

08/09 Daniel 50th
09/10 Daniel 45th Henrik 49th
10/11 Henrik 23rd Daniel 34th
11/12 Henrik 30th
12/13 Henrik 24th
13/14 (only lists top 25)
14/15 Henrik 37th

Obviously their not close to winning any of those years. But the fact their getting votes, and in nearly every year listed are ahead of a few players that have reputations as top defensive forwards, suggests they were very good defensive players throughout their careers.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
The only problem with that roster is that it's the exact same D that wasn't nearly good enough. They need an upgrade on D even with Tanev coming back and being healthy.

I completely agree and if the Canucks are able to shift more salary like Eriksson, maybe they could free up more money to improve upon Fantenburg or Stecher. Pipe dream would be to move Eriksson and Myers and use that money on Pietrangelo. But I was also impressed with Juolevi's single appearance in the playoffs and think he might make a push for a spot, same with Rafferty.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This list of Selke votes covers their peaks to when the started to decline.

08/09 Daniel 50th
09/10 Daniel 45th Henrik 49th
10/11 Henrik 23rd Daniel 34th
11/12 Henrik 30th
12/13 Henrik 24th
13/14 (only lists top 25)
14/15 Henrik 37th

Obviously their not close to winning any of those years. But the fact their getting votes, and in nearly every year listed are ahead of a few players that have reputations as top defensive forwards, suggests they were very good defensive players throughout their careers.

Those lower end votes mean literally nothing:

2014-15 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

You're talking about anywhere from 1-6 total votes, when the top two have over 1000 each.

To put this in perspective Sean Monahan had 19 Selke votes in 2014/15 to Henrik Sedin's 4 votes. Sean Monahan is not in any way deserving of this trophy...and he had almost 5 times as many votes as Sedin. There's obviously some voters who are near trolling with these lower end Selke nominations and/or just voting for whoever is on their favorite team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pia8988

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I think the Canucks have already decided their goalie situation.

Theyve made an offer to Markstrom and are holding pat to see who blinks first. I think they have a walk away point in terms of money and AAV for Markstrom. They would love to have him back but they wont compromise being handcuffed in a couple years.

Plan B will be to sign a a very capable backup if MArky walks. There's already multiple reports that Vancouver is on a lot of destination list for goalies if that happens. Id think theyd look into guys like Talbot, Greiss, Holtby etc who will come in cheaper.

As for defence, I dont think they have Tanev high high on their priority list right now. This maybe because of Tanev's ridiculous injury history and again going back to what's that going to look like in 2 years.

They will look into other options if he walks, guys like Demelo, Dillon, Polak etc. short term, no big money.

I can even see Tyson Barrie signing a 1 year show me deal to try and pump up his stats playing for the young Canucks

I wouldn't be surprised to see them target a trade for a backup for 1-2 years over signing anyone. Most signings will want 3+ years and if they move on from Markstrom they only need a 2 year contract.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

So my guess is that he has a AAV and contract on the table for Markstrom, knows he wants to stay and also has a signed Toffoli if he can move some money out. A lot of cap on the wings especially with Hoglander fighting for a 3rd line spot this year and Podkolzin next year.

Gotta believe that Virtanen is the odd man out wanting 2-3 million.

Reactions: David71

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think he meant, show pony. Think that through

Pony up I understand, but not show pony...

Benning will be trying to move glue factory candidates, not line up thoroughbreds for other teams to evaluate.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland

Sedin’s started a lot in the ozone because they were our best offensive players. Why would you waste their energy and time to take dzone face offs when you have guys like Kesler, Malhotra, Lapierre, etc to fill that role?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Sedin’s started a lot in the ozone because they were our best offensive players. Why would you waste their energy and time to take dzone face offs when you have guys like Kesler, Malhotra, Lapierre, etc to fill that role?

that be like saying "Well Pettersson only got a bunch of points because he had a bunch of O zone starts blah blah blah I hate everyone about the Canucks blah blah blah ". No shit einstein! It's a common tactic all NHL coaches will use to deploy their top line or best players right away for a scoring chance since it's an offensive zone face off so the work is cut out for them.

I think Lebrun got pony and donkey mixed up.

Lebrun is not even a reputable source for Canuck news... wtf..... he's just click bait, on what he thinks is going on.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Fantastic.

And there are also situations where you need your best defensive players to shut down the other top scorers. When you're getting 15-20% more offensive zone starts than Phil the Thrill, it says something.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Fantastic.

And there are also situations where you need your best defensive players to shut down the other top scorers. When you're getting 15-20% more offensive zone starts than Phil the Thrill, it says something.
You still don’t get it do you? We had some of the best defensive bottom 6ers in the NHL when the Sedins were playing. From Malholtra to Kesler to Burrows to Hansen Etc. Why tf would we waste the Sedins in the defensive zones when they weren’t our best defensive players and we can rest them for the O-Zone?? That doesn’t mean they weren’t good defensive players :facepalm: Hell, Torts deployed them on the penalty kill multiple times when he coached here. That tells you something hey?

Reactions: Nazzlind

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
Fantastic.

so if you're not the team's best defensive players, you suck defensively?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad