Rumor: Canucks extremely active

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Either that or one side is overvaluing their player. Dune had the same amount of goals as boeser these playoffs. I'm not saying their value is equal but that trade is horrendous.
What is this....
Boeser is an extremely complete player, it's not all about goals. Is Horvat better than Mackinnon or McDavid? He had more goals in the playoffs?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
As a Jets fan I would like to take Micheal Ferland off your hands ,if he would move his NMC. Him and Lowry on a checking line would be fun to watch. Bring Hamonic home and we wouldn't be a team that people are crashing so much, we might do our own share. I'll give you Logan Stanley, he's a giant, like Myers. You still have to teach him how to defend though. He will cost you nothing. My fear is that the Jets take Brandon Sutter instead, but maybe you'd give us an extra draft pick, for Logan Stanley, we can throw in Eric Comrie

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What is this....
Boeser is an extremely complete player, it's not all about goals. Is Horvat better than Mackinnon or McDavid? He had more goals in the playoffs?

Boeser is not extremely complete though.

He's a fantastic finisher. He's injury prone. Not physical. Not an especially great skater, and he lacks strong defensive play. He's got a fantastic release and is good at finding spots to score from.

Here's a highlight real:

Almost every goal is the exact same. Scoring goals is the most important part of a forwards game, but calling Boeser "complete" is wrong to the point of being strange.

Here's a more experienced scouting report on him:

Brock Boeser Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Vancouver Canucks | The Sports Forecaster

A true offensive weapon from the wing position, he has great puck skills and a very quick release. Sees the ice well and is a great passer, too. Has above-average scoring upside for the National Hockey League. Needs to improve his overall play when he doesn't have the puck, especially in terms of defensive-zone coverage. Must also fill out his frame and get stronger physically to win more battles at the highest level.

And that's been the same analysis his whole career:

Brock Boeser - Hockey's Future

Boeser has great puck skills, an accurate shot and a very quick release. He is an excellent passer as well. Like most young, offensively oriented forwards, he needs to work on the defensive aspects of his game. He will need to bulk up to be able to dominate at the NCAA level.

What part of those scream "complete"? Do you even watch your own team?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

He's a fantastic finisher. He's injury prone. Not physical. Not an especially great skater, and he lacks strong defensive play. He's got a fantastic release and is good at finding spots to score from.
I'm not going to get too deep into this, but you're describing a player that Brock was in the past, he isn't that guy currently.

His release isn't there these days, he's actually taken to being more of playmaker of late and he's been surprisingly good in that role. His defensive and neural zone game comes and goes. Some nights he's a beast on the walls, others he doesn't have the jump needed to compete. He hasn't been a liability of late though, and definitely has pretty good stretches of strong defensive play.

To be honest, it isn't clear quite yet what Brock is- anyone claiming to have it nailed down is lying. He has shown both an elite shot and elite playmaking ability, but has yet to put them together at the same time.

A team acquiring Brock is getting someone with a ton of really great tools and a very high ceiling, which is why Canuck fans are loath to give him away.

Reactions: QuinnHughes

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
As a Jets fan I would like to take Micheal Ferland off your hands ,if he would move his NMC. Him and Lowry on a checking line would be fun to watch. Bring Hamonic home and we wouldn't be a team that people are crashing so much, we might do our own share. I'll give you Logan Stanley, he's a giant, like Myers. You still have to teach him how to defend though. He will cost you nothing. My fear is that the Jets take Brandon Sutter instead, but maybe you'd give us an extra draft pick, for Logan Stanley, we can throw in Eric Comrie

Ferland is good when he's healthy, but in all honesty I don't see him playing anywhere near a full season and perhaps not at all.

If Ferland is on the LTIR, Sutter traded for a mid-round pick, Benn and Baertschi for conditional late round picks and let Markstrom walk. Then I think there's enough savings in there to keep Toffoli and Tanev. If there's some way to move Eriksson then even better.

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli ($5 mill)
Boeser - Horvat - Pearson
Virtanen ($2.25 million) - Gaudette ($1.5 million) - Roussel
Eriksson - Beagle - Motte ($1.25 million)

Hughes - Tanev ($4.5 million)
Edler - Myers
Fantenburg ($800k) - Stecher ($2.5 million)

Demko
Greiss ($3.5 million)

Use MacEwen, Rafferty and a cheap guy from UFA as the spares.

Of course, that's depends on finding takers for the three. That's probably the hard part.

Veritas

Apr 7, 2020
What is this....

You can't be serious. Do you even watch your own team? Don't just throw out "extremely complete player" so lightly. That's reserved for a select few players, like a Pettersson. Boeser isn't even close to that.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I don't understand the though process here either. Maybe they are comfortable with him in the AHL for one year and a buyout next?
I don't think there was one, because I don't think this actually happened. I assume some context is being left out, like maybe the teams asked for huge sweeteners and little or no negotiation took place afterwards.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Lames fans in here trying to denounce Brock Boeser...just stay away we aren't trying to make proposals of him to your team...you don't have what we need minus Rasmus Anderson who you won't trade.

If GM JB is NOT willing to retain to move LE he should be fired on the spot, he is the idiot that has signed multiple Canucks current and past that had HORRIBLE contracts!

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Here's a highlight real:

Almost every goal is the exact same. Scoring goals is the most important part of a forwards game, but calling Boeser "complete" is wrong to the point of being strange.

Brock Boeser Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Vancouver Canucks | The Sports Forecaster

You can't be serious. Do you even watch your own team? Don't just throw out "extremely complete player" so lightly. That's reserved for a select few players, like a Pettersson. Boeser isn't even close to that.
Hmm, should I trust the opinion of those who don't watch Boeser often enough to forge an accurate evaluation of his defensive play? Or should I trust my own views on Boeser, as someone who has seen every single game of his NHL career?

Boeser is no Bob Gainey but he is far from a defensive liability and is quite a well-rounded player. Not sure how you can't see that...

Veritas

Apr 7, 2020
Hmm, should I trust the opinion of those who don't watch Boeser often enough to forge an accurate evaluation of his defensive play? Or should I trust my own views on Boeser, as someone who has seen every single game of his NHL career?

Boeser is no Bob Gainey but he is far from a defensive liability and is quite a well-rounded player. Not sure how you can't see that...

You quoted my post so I assume this is a response to what I wrote as well as the other poster.

Clearly I didn't say anything about Boeser being a defensive liability or not being a well-rounded player. My response was to the poster who called Boeser an "extremely complete player." You, as someone who's seen every game of his career, would at least acknowledge that to go that far is silly, am I wrong?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Here's a highlight real:

Lmao apparently YOU don’t watch him play not me. He literally evolved this passed season from a goal scoring winger to a complete winger. You bringing up old scouting reports and goals has nothing to do with this. If you watched every single canucks game like I have, you’d see it. Ask any Canucks fan. He’s not a “pure goal scorer” like many are falsely believing.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Dead serious. Didn’t miss a single game all season including playoffs. Extremely complete player I’ll say it again. Go watch a handful of games from this season and you’ll see what myself and others are talking about. He’s not a pure goal scorer.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Boeser is solid defensively the same way the Sedins were. Smart player who reads passing lanes, has good defensive positioning and who will win more boards battles then he loses. But like the Sedins, he doesn't have quick burst speed or the physicality to play a matchup role, can often get caught chasing a quick player thus making him fatigued, and sometimes struggles carrying/clearing the puck out of the zone. Like 90% of the league he is prone to moments of cherry-picking and puck watching. He improved quite alot this year in the defensive end and has really transformed his game since he first entered the league; It's exciting to think what he might become in the next couple of years; I hope we don't trade for some meh like Hanifin and I'd rather try to find/develop our "Carlo" instead of trading Boeser for him

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Had Petterson and Hughes not showed up, Boeser would’ve been the face of the Canucks franchise. Really have to put that in perspective. Boeser's first year, he looks like Kessel lite without the speed who could score 40 goals every year with his shot and nothing else. The following year, Petterson comes in and steals the spotlight and Boeser becomes a passenger. Then, he was putting up points this year, until they acquired the similar type of player in Toffoli, who took over Boeser's spot, when he got injured.

While, Boeser might be better than Toffoli offensively, he hasn't rounded his game yet. You can tell that he's working on his defensive side of the game, but you can hardly say it's complete. Toffoli is more reliable and is what Boeser projects to be. Boeser's a great character kid, so its hard to see him go but if Toffoli signs for 4.8 and Boeser's Qualifying offer is 7.5M. There's no way you keep the kid around. There's always a fascination with home grown kids, so you'd wanna keep him around if you can but there comes a point where has to show more.

It's a weird situation. He's on tracking to be better than other canucks legends like Naslund, Bertuzzi, and the Twins. It's when you have a monster of a player in Pettersson, it kind of puts a mark on where these Boeser types stand. You have him on any other Canucks' era and he's probably a Canuck for life. You'd think it would take a over payment to get him out of Vancouver still.

Last edited:

Veritas

Apr 7, 2020
Dead serious. Didn’t miss a single game all season including playoffs. Extremely complete player I’ll say it again. Go watch a handful of games from this season and you’ll see what myself and others are talking about. He’s not a pure goal scorer.

If he's more than a pure goal-scorer, then say that. When you say things like "he's an extremely complete player", you make it sound like he has no weaknesses in his game. Just because some people might be underrating him doesn't mean that you should react by overrating him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lmao apparently YOU don’t watch him play not me. He literally evolved this passed season from a goal scoring winger to a complete winger. You bringing up old scouting reports and goals has nothing to do with this. If you watched every single canucks game like I have, you’d see it. Ask any Canucks fan. He’s not a “pure goal scorer” like many are falsely believing.

Okay....Boeser came into the league with bad defensive and physical game. Yes, he may have improved on that, but he still remains below average defensively. His defensive and physical game remains below average. When I think of an "extremely complete" player, it's a player that excels at all aspects of the game, including defense and the physical game.

I'd argue that Boeser is the least complete player on his line. How can he possibly be "extremely complete"? You've got other posters comparing them to the Sedins, defensively. The Sedins were not good defensively, and Boeser has a ways to go before he's at their level.

On top of all this Boeser is injury prone.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Okay....Boeser came into the league with bad defensive and physical game. Yes, he may have improved on that, but he still remains below average defensively. His defensive and physical game remains below average. When I think of an "extremely complete" player, it's a player that excels at all aspects of the game, including defense and the physical game.

I'd argue that Boeser is the least complete player on his line. How can he possibly be "extremely complete"? You've got other posters comparing them to the Sedins, defensively. The Sedins were not good defensively, and Boeser has a ways to go before he's at their level.

On top of all this Boeser is injury prone.

Sedins were very good, smart defensive players. Got the odd Selke vote.

Not so much at the end of their careers, but in their prime.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Ferland is good when he's healthy, but in all honesty I don't see him playing anywhere near a full season and perhaps not at all.

If Ferland is on the LTIR, Sutter traded for a mid-round pick, Benn and Baertschi for conditional late round picks and let Markstrom walk. Then I think there's enough savings in there to keep Toffoli and Tanev. If there's some way to move Eriksson then even better.

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli ($5 mill)
Boeser - Horvat - Pearson
Virtanen ($2.25 million) - Gaudette ($1.5 million) - Roussel
Eriksson - Beagle - Motte ($1.25 million)

Hughes - Tanev ($4.5 million)
Edler - Myers
Fantenburg ($800k) - Stecher ($2.5 million)

Demko
Greiss ($3.5 million)

Use MacEwen, Rafferty and a cheap guy from UFA as the spares.

Of course, that's depends on finding takers for the three. That's probably the hard part.

The only problem with that roster is that it's the exact same D that wasn't nearly good enough. They need an upgrade on D even with Tanev coming back and being healthy.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
boeser is not going to win a selke but he has turned into a responsible 2 way winger and sacrifices some offence to do that.

i don't think anyone wants to trade boeser but you get to his name by default tracking up or down the lineup as the most valuable expendible asset on the team. basically, he's a winger so he has to deal with his name being associated with every deal.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
The only problem with that roster is that it's the exact same D that wasn't nearly good enough. They need an upgrade on D even with Tanev coming back and being healthy.

I think the Canucks are looking to just compete and make some noise in the playoffs over the next 1-2 years. They arent going to do a major revamp of that Dcore between now and then. Maybe some additions to make it better than last year. Realistically though their window wont open for another year or two

What I think they are planning to do is going BIG in free agency in 2022. At that point 30+ Million will free up for them in cap space from expiring contracts.

2022 UFA DMen

Adam Fox
Seth Jones
Morgan Reiley
Hampus Lindholm
Risto Ristolainen
Colton Parayko
John Klingberg
Josh Manson
Mattias Ekholm

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I think the Canucks are looking to just compete and make some noise in the playoffs over the next 1-2 years. They arent going to do a major revamp of that Dcore between now and then. Maybe some additions to make it better than last year.

What I think they are planning to do is going BIG in free agency in 2022. At that point 30+ Million will free up for them in cap space from expiring contracts.

2022 UFA DMen

Adam Fox
Seth Jones
Morgan Reiley
Hampus Lindholm
Risto Ristolainen
Colton Parayko
John Klingberg
Josh Manson
Mattias Ekholm

Do you see that perhaps a waste of having Pettersson and Hughes on their ELCs? I can see the logic of 2022 but those two are realistically going to eat up 18-20 million of that 30+.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Do you see that perhaps a waste of having Pettersson and Hughes on their ELCs? I can see the logic of 2022 but those two are realistically going to eat up 18-20 million of that 30+.

Waste would be if they were bottom feeders and are growing up in a toxic losing culture which isnt the case.

As this year proved, you just need a ticket to the dance and anything can happen.

We dont have the flexebility to "go fo it" and be "all in" in the next year or two, nor should we be.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad