Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft F Hunter Shinkaruk 24th Overall (1st Round)

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
If all goes well i think this kid will be a fan favorite down the road. Much has been speculated about certain character issues or cockiness, I for one welcome it. I think we lost a lot of our swagger after the 2011 cup run. Hopefully he can bring some of that back. :yo:

Dado

If all goes well i think this kid will be a fan favorite down the road. Much has been speculated about certain character issues or cockiness, I for one welcome it. I think we lost a lot of our swagger after the 2011 cup run. Hopefully he can bring some of that back. :yo:

The last kid we brought in who had some swagger had his teammates mocking him with a tape-"C" on his practice jersey right before he was shipped out of town.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The last kid we brought in who had some swagger had his teammates mocking him with a tape-"C" on his practice jersey right before he was shipped out of town.
I think you're mistaken if you believe Hodgson had "swagger" or cockiness. He was sold as the exact opposite. His goal celebrations are pretty reserved as well compared to Hunter's.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I remember Hodgson being pretty calm, and didn't have a ton of swagger.

He wasn't Sedin-like reserved, but pretty quiet for his age anyways. Hence why I bought into the future captain thing

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Coach controls jersey number IIRC. Nobody was allowed to have a number higher than 55.

Must be one of those things carried on from the old times, since it doesn't make sense, to me anyways, to have someone as expendable as a coach in charge of something that lasts well after he left.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Shinkaruk's "cockiness" seems to have taken on an unnecessary life of its own (and i commented upthread he can come off as arrogant) - however, it's nowhere as bad as it's being made out to be. he's a really good player - and the fact he managed to keep up his #s on a bad team & etem's absence speaks to that.

No matter what anyone says about his personality (fair or unfair), no one would ever accuse him of sloth or a lack of compete. Even if he is as arrogant as some people claim, worry about the arrogant guy who takes time off b/c he thinks everything is going to be handed to him - the arrogant guy who works tirelessly to improve himself and wants to be the best (and has the skill to do it) isn't going to be the team's problem.

B/c I live in Ont, I don't see as much WHL ... but I'm close to people who follow it (and have kids who play in it) - and one thing you'll never have to worry about Hunter is re him being the party boy who his skill is enough to take him to the NHL and spends his time in bars, chasing girls, etc. While that might seem like an obvious pre-requisite for someone who wants to play in the NHL - the fact remains Hunter has been an elite player since he was young - and no matter how highly he might think of himself - it's never translated into irresponsible behaviour - nor does he have the personality type where that might be a problem.

I know i've carried on long enough in the Horvat thread i'm probably starting to sound like a broken record...but, honestly, your evil little team really has made off w/ two of the best players in the 1st round. :(

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Shinkaruk's "cockiness" seems to have taken on an unnecessary life of its own (and i commented upthread he can come off as arrogant) - however, it's nowhere as bad as it's being made out to be. he's a really good player - and the fact he managed to keep up his #s on a bad team & etem's absence speaks to that.

No matter what anyone says about his personality (fair or unfair), no one would ever accuse him of sloth or a lack of compete. Even if he is as arrogant as some people claim, worry about the arrogant guy who takes time off b/c he thinks everything is going to be handed to him - the arrogant guy who works tirelessly to improve himself and wants to be the best (and has the skill to do it) isn't going to be the team's problem.

B/c I live in Ont, I don't see as much WHL ... but I'm close to people who follow it (and have kids who play in it) - and one thing you'll never have to worry about Hunter is re him being the party boy who his skill is enough to take him to the NHL and spends his time in bars, chasing girls, etc. While that might seem like an obvious pre-requisite for someone who wants to play in the NHL - the fact remains Hunter has been an elite player since he was young - and no matter how highly he might think of himself - it's never translated into irresponsible behaviour - nor does he have the personality type where that might be a problem.

I know i've carried on long enough in the Horvat thread i'm probably starting to sound like a broken record...but, honestly, your evil little team really has made off w/ two of the best players in the 1st round. :(

I really appreciate your insight on Hunter, especially from a view outside of our fanbase. My personal opinion is that i dont care what people said about him personaly im just happy we picked up such a skilled player with some character, so sorry i didnt meen to imply he had issues just wanted to state my excitement at him being on our team. Thx for the post;)

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Great interview. Seems like a wonderful family. Honestly, they all seem really happy. Very genuine smiles and you can tell they are very proud of him. I'm excited to see what Hunter can do. His offensive skill is impressive. My fave highlight of his is when he did that spinorama backhand which reminded me of the one that Patrick Kane pulled off. Sick celebrations too.
(If my future wife at any time ever looks as good as his mum does right now, I'll die a happy man. :laugh: No disrespect Dr. Shinkaruk. :D ) She mentions that they have family in Van. which is probably a good sign. I don't want any more coho parents. :laugh:

Last edited:

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Coho had no swagger, the team even had to take him shopping to buy some swag :laugh:

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Great interview. Seems like a wonderful family. Honestly, they all seem really happy. Very genuine smiles and you can tell they are very proud of him. I'm excited to see what Hunter can do. His offensive skill is impressive. My fave highlight of his is when he did that spinorama backhand which reminded me of the one that Patrick Kane pulled off. Sick celebrations too.
(If my future wife at any time ever looks as good as his mum does right now, I'll die a happy man. :laugh: No disrespect Dr. Shinkaruk. :D ) She mentions that they have family in Van. which is probably a good sign. I don't want any more coho parents. :laugh:

I like the bit about all the friends/family trying to find Canucks jerseys in New Jersey haha

arsmaster*

His dad is tall...maybe Hunter still has some growing left to do.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I like the bit about all the friends/family trying to find Canucks jerseys in New Jersey haha

hahah yeah. Reminded me of all of the bandwagoners in the SCF that still had price tags on their jerseys downtown. :naughty:

jk, jk. Awesome family and friends. Probably could have gotten some schneider jerseys on discount. Too soon? :sarcasm:

JA

How many Conn Smythe's does Bure have? :sarcasm:

I don't recall Kane carrying his team through the playoffs. :naughty:

The fact Kane led his team in scoring with 19 points in 23 games says a lot about the Hawks' scoring this past postseason. David Krejci had 26 points on the other side; Horton and Lucic had 19 also. Crawford certainly should have won the Conn Smythe considering everyone on Chicago scored below a point-per-game pace.

In terms of swagger, Pavel used to really like chewing bubble gum during games. On his first NHL shift he was chewing gum.

14:21:

72318659_display_image.jpg

6844152.jpg

I think confidence can help a player if he can channel it properly. Confidence leads to creativity and courage to stand out from the rest of the group. This seems to be what allowed Shinkaruk to become the Tigers' captain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Remember back to the good times when Shinkaruk was an elite offensive talent with a ton of compete level. Too bad as of the draft he is now a cocky, soft, perimeter player :sarcasm:

The fact Kane led his team in scoring with 19 points in 23 games says a lot about the Hawks' scoring this past postseason. David Krejci had 26 points on the other side; Horton and Lucic had 19 also. Crawford certainly should have won the Conn Smythe considering everyone on Chicago scored below a point-per-game pace.

OT, but I thought Keith should have won it. Consistently the best Hawk on the ice imo and was crucial to Crawford's success.

JA

If Shinkaruk can be flashy while providing the team with goals, that's even better. It's been a while since any player in Vancouver has electrified the crowd with his skill.

Apparently, he's an explosive skater -- one of the best skaters in the draft, according to Craig Button.

I'm actually more interested in evaluating him as a player than any other prospect the team has drafted in the past few years. That said, I don't expect him to make the team this year; if he does, though, that's great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad