Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft F Hunter Shinkaruk 24th Overall (1st Round)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Which first rounder have we selected "off the board" when Gillis was in charge. Schroeder was most certainly the BPA, Hodgson was in his year and both Bo and Hunter were this year

That's precisely my point, we were thinking taking the BPA in Hodgson was too good to be true, but Gillis has made it a recurring theme and it's showing to be a better strategy than Nonis'

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
That's precisely my point, we were thinking taking the BPA in Hodgson was too good to be true, but Gillis has made it a recurring theme and it's showing to be a better strategy than Nonis'

ahh my mistake. I agree :D

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Which first rounder have we selected "off the board" when Gillis was in charge. Schroeder was most certainly the BPA, Hodgson was in his year and both Bo and Hunter were this year

Bo actually was not the BPA. Jensen wasn't either, as Saad and Grimaldi ranked higher per Mackenzie's list. The point is though that Gillis, seemingly, still gets great value at his position in the 1st due to "common sense" selections. No reaches.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Bo actually was not the BPA. Jensen wasn't either, as Saad and Grimaldi ranked higher per Mackenzie's list. The point is though that Gillis, seemingly, still gets great value at his position in the 1st due to "common sense" selections. No reaches.

Depends on how you consider BPA, I guess. They were both ranked very close to the spot we picked them at. Closer than Bourdon even and that was the least off the board pick by Nonis.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Depends on how you consider BPA, I guess. They were both ranked very close to the spot we picked them at. Closer than Bourdon even and that was the least off the board pick by Nonis.

BPA per consensus lists, is the explanation I've seen on here. In that sense, Bo and Jensen were not clear BPAs. Hodgson, Schroeder and Gaunce were.

Nonis was more off the board, no doubt.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I guess you're technically right, but I would still say we picked BPA. Maybe it's just because I have a looser definition of the term BPA, but if the two players are comparable I wouldn't say we necessarily passed over the best player avaliable because it is debatable who that player is.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
BPA per consensus lists, is the explanation I've seen on here. In that sense, Bo and Jensen were not clear BPAs. Hodgson, Schroeder and Gaunce were.

The Canucks employ their own scouts, which means they have their own ranking of players to draft, so BPA is a pretty misused term around here.

Has anyone ever seen the Canucks' draft rankings? I highly doubt Nonis or Gillis looked at their own scouts' rankings and decided to not draft according to the top of those rankings.

StringerBell

The Canucks employ their own scouts, which means they have their own ranking of players to draft, so BPA is a pretty misused term around here.

Has anyone ever seen the Canucks' draft rankings? I highly doubt Nonis or Gillis looked at their own scouts' rankings and decided to not draft according to the top of those rankings.

Unfortunately, yes.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Unfortunately, yes.

Where? I'd like to see a copy.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/6/24/did-the-canucks-post-their-2010-draft-board

McNally at 26th? Available on our first pick, taken with our first pick.

My point isn't that the Canucks are a great drafting team. My point is that the Canucks have a ranking of players, and whoever is on top of that list is "BPA" according to the Canucks. So, in a way, the Canucks have drafted "BPA" with every one of their picks.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Too late.

Pretty terrible list. At least Gillis selects from the top of that list. :laugh:

something to take into account, and was brought up in the thread on the prospects board about this very list. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=67960489#post67960489

I know this is Vancouvers list, and Montreal fans have mini-hijacked the thread, but there are two things that Timmins has said in the past that proves that everyone's list is different.

1) They only make a list of about 75 players they want to draft, which means that they know that their list will be quite different than everyone elses since they only rank about 35% of the total players picked.

2) When asked about players after they drafted them, the interviewer brings up CS or ISS rankings, Timmins is oblivious to what those rankings are and has said that those rankings are really just a guide to make sure they have scouted all the players that are available that year.

So it should not be surprising that teams get guys in the 5th or 6th round that they have first or second round grades on. All teams have different criteria for drafting and put different weights on things like IQ, shot, skating,size, weight, fighting, intangibles, compete level, family values, College program they will attend, coaching quality of their club teams to help them progress, etc...

This is why I get angry when I see posters state things so matter of fact about prospects and where they will be picked, there are so many possibilities that it is impossible to say "There is no chance so and so is there in the second round", or "so and so is a horrible pick at #8" after a club reaches from the concensus.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I'm just glad we didn't end up with Feaster's BPA at #22.

Or (I believe) Washington's at 23 for that matter or Toronto's before both of those. Not that I know anything about the kid really, but I'm liking what I've been reading about his offensive upside.

Who can say how it all pans out of course.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

I find it amusing that you are adopting the customary practice....

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I find it amusing that you are adopting the customary practice....

Still sore are we? When there's no definitive source, custom is all there is.

Probably best that I do not respond to any more posts of this ilk because they will derail the thread.

Last edited:

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Not me.

My dream is the Canucks future 2nd line is Gaunce-Horvat-Kassian.....obviously with hopes Shinkaruk-Kesler-Jensen become the 1st.

I meant for the prospects camp and Young stars tournament. But yeah, a Shinkaruk-Kesler-Jensen line sounds pretty good too, but it looks as if there are too many shooters, who's going to set up the shot? Maybe Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Not me.

My dream is the Canucks future 2nd line is Gaunce-Horvat-Kassian.....obviously with hopes Shinkaruk-Kesler-Jensen become the 1st.
I try to avoid throwing out line-ups like this because you never know how much the roster changes by the time these kids are ready to play in the top 6. Like, you're assuming the Sedins depart, but it's also possible the Sedin's hang around and their game ages much better than Kesler's and he departs. Or maybe they both stay and we can overload the top six. Or maybe all three are gone and we're forced to start an aggressive youth movement.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I was thinking something like this:

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kesler
Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian
Burrows-Gaunce-Hansen

That would be so glorious if their career trajectories worked out that way, man alive. ****, I'd be happy if even half the prospects there panned out.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I try to avoid throwing out line-ups like this because you never know how much the roster changes by the time these kids are ready to play in the top 6. Like, you're assuming the Sedins depart, but it's also possible the Sedin's hang around and their game ages much better than Kesler's and he departs. Or maybe they both stay and we can overload the top six. Or maybe all three are gone and we're forced to start an aggressive youth movement.

Not to mention the continuing annual draft yield of players, at least some of them likely to be forwards in the Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk range of quality now that we have reliably decent drafting. So the lineup schemes will always be evolving by addition as well as attrition.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That would be so glorious if their career trajectories worked out that way, man alive. ****, I'd be happy if even half the prospects there panned out.

Agreed. It's highly highly highly unlikely we ever see that lineup, but it gives us something to get excited about at least. A far cry from the days of Nathan Barrett and Jesse Schultz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad