Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft F Hunter Shinkaruk 24th Overall (1st Round)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Agreed. It's highly highly highly unlikely we ever see that lineup, but it gives us something to get excited about at least. A far cry from the days of Nathan Barrett and Jesse Schultz.

It is exciting, amazing what having two first round picks in a single draft can do for a team's prospects. Crazy to realize its been 14 years since the last time that happened ('99) and only the second time in the last 23 (since 1990) that we've had two first round picks. We've actually had more drafts with NO first round pick ('95, '02, '10) than ones with multiple picks. Seems that this team always hangs onto its assets past their best before dates, rather than ship them out for extra picks a la Buffalo, Philly, etc.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Where? I'd like to see a copy.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/6/24/did-the-canucks-post-their-2010-draft-board

McNally at 26th? Available on our first pick, taken with our first pick.

My point isn't that the Canucks are a great drafting team. My point is that the Canucks have a ranking of players, and whoever is on top of that list is "BPA" according to the Canucks. So, in a way, the Canucks have drafted "BPA" with every one of their picks.

Huh, Interesting. I suppose had the Canucks kept their 1st rounder, they would've drafted Jon Merrill? They have Visetin ranked higher, but the way the goaltending situation was/is It's doubtful Gillis would have selected him in the first, right?

How's Merrill projecting these days anyways? He seems to have missed some time in college, but had a pretty good stint with the Devils' AHL affiliate at the end of this year.

(it's fun to play "what if" sometimes)

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Huh, Interesting. I suppose had the Canucks kept their 1st rounder, they would've drafted Jon Merrill? They have Visetin ranked higher, but the way the goaltending situation was/is It's doubtful Gillis would have selected him in the first, right?

How's Merrill projecting these days anyways? He seems to have missed some time in college, but had a pretty good stint with the Devils' AHL affiliate at the end of this year.

He is seen as one of the Devils top prospects, in a deep D pool for them. Not bad at all.

arsmaster*

Kuznetsov was the highest ranked player on their list when they decided to move the pick.

Gillis did say the other option would have been to move his 2011 1st, but he said the scouts preferred the 2011 class to that of 2010. So far I'd say they were correct.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
He is seen as one of the Devils top prospects, in a deep D pool for them. Not bad at all.

As of May 22, he was considered the Devils' top prospect on Hockey's Future. Damn, he sounds like a stud. Adding him to our prospect pool now would make it pretty awesome (not that it would have worked that way, that cap space would've still been spent on someone and that player could have cost assets including prospects and picks).

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
As of May 22, he was considered the Devils' top prospect on Hockey's Future. Damn, he sounds like a stud. Adding him to our prospect pool now would make it pretty awesome (not that it would have worked that way, that cap space would've still been spent on someone and that player could have cost assets including prospects and picks).

I don't think that's so much an endorsement of Merrill as it is an indictment of their prospect pool. Last fall I was looking at the Devils as a possible match for Schneider (God I'm good :D ) and beyond Merrill I didn't see any prospects worth looking at.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I found these two to be especially pertinent given what transpired at the draft:

and

We seem to have gotten more...

Yeah, so it ended up coming full circle. But still, getting a top 10 pick in an extremely deep draft... I don't know if anyone could ever have thought of that at the time.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Would've been stoked to have added Merrill at the draft. He was one of the guys i really wanted them to draft.

Would've been really nice to have a defenceman with that kind of upside in the pipeline as well, but alas...instead we have...ummm...yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad