Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft F Hunter Shinkaruk 24th Overall (1st Round)

Dado

Exactly. If you read his draft reports and comments pre draft they're a lot different then after we picked him. Now all of a sudden he has character issues, d bag, A hole, weak, too small, perimeter player, easy to push around etc etc the list goes on.

There was a thread made about him right here on HF going back to at least mid 2012, where people were wondering about potential character issues and a tendency to perimeter play. So it's definitely not a "Canuck hate" or whatever thing, it's been there for a while.

Personally, I have no idea at all, and look forward to seeing how he develops.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I'm hoping for a miracle with Horvat and Shinkaruk as CHL player of the year finalists. Then everyone can tell us how they are like Corey Locke :sarcasm:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Exactly. If you read his draft reports and comments pre draft they're a lot different then after we picked him. Now all of a sudden he has character issues, d bag, A hole, weak, too small, perimeter player, easy to push around etc etc the list goes on.

I'm not buying it, the kid is an obvious offensive stud. And he obviously likes to score, he has a big celly after every goal #celly #silkymits

When a player drops like him, you know there are almost always some issue(s) with the player. The hope is the issue(s) can be fixed or isn't nearly as big of an issue as teams first thought. Remember Shinkaruk was pretty much considered a top 10 pick by everyone at the start of the year (i think some even ranked him in the top 5) but he dropped a bit due to his production dropping (compared to the season before) and probably dropped to us due to having some other issue(s) beside size (which is probably his biggest issue).

That said, his upside is extremely high and clearly the type of player we need on the team sooner rather than later. Character issues can be addressed and from what i've found, he seems to be a hard worker so even if he has some character issues, it probably won't be nearly as big of a problem as Hodgson's "camp".

StringerBell

A nice interview with Shinkaruk today:

http://pmd.fan960.com/audio_on_dema...uk-with-Ryan-Leslie-RL-20130703-Interview.mp3

I particularly like the story of him as a kid posting up the number 13 in his basement to represent the 13 teams that passed him over in his Bantam draft to remind himself that he would make them regret not taking him. He sounds hungry for a spot already, i like that.

I liked that part too, definitely moreso than when the interviewer said his folks are very involved in his career :sarcasm:

Did you read the story he told Kirk Luedeke? It's on the bottom of page 8, fits in well with the interview.

arsmaster*

When a player drops like him, you know there are almost always some issue(s) with the player. The hope is the issue(s) can be fixed or isn't nearly as big of an issue as teams first thought. Remember Shinkaruk was pretty much considered a top 10 pick by everyone at the start of the year (i think some even ranked him in the top 5) but he dropped a bit due to his production dropping (compared to the season before) and probably dropped to us due to having some other issue(s) beside size (which is probably his biggest issue).

That said, his upside is extremely high and clearly the type of player we need on the team sooner rather than later. Character issues can be addressed and from what i've found, he seems to be a hard worker so even if he has some character issues, it probably won't be nearly as big of a problem as Hodgson's "camp".

If the only reason he dropped was because of a 0.03ppg drop after losing a 50 goal 1st round NHL pick and downgrading to a twice passed over small center as a linemate, I think we're gonna be ok. :laugh:

Maybe people don't like his attitude, all I see is someone who exudes confidence in himself and his abilities, and he's enthusiastic about it.

That rubs some the wrong way, to be honest I find the character we see and hear in interviews quite engaging. Obviously the kids been pretty spoiled his whole life, but I'd say most kids who are playing in the WHL have.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Taking a step back from the armchair scouting for a second and looking at this purely from a fan/entertainment perspective, to me this is the most exciting prospect we've had in years.

I don't watch hockey to see stay at home d-men blocking shots or great two-way Selke calibre defense, I watch it to see dynamic offensive players with blazing skating and elite hands burn by a D-man wide and roof it top corner. An element this team's lacked since Grabner imo.

Will be rooting hard for Shinkaruk and he'll be my favorite player when/if he makes it.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Every team needs a Horvat as much as they need a Shinkaruk.

Which is why I think they'd work well on a line together with someone like Kassian going forward.

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian

Skill, leadership, power on one line. Could be our next WCE.

Then you have Jensen, Gaunce and whoever on the second line. Suddenly, things aren't looking too shabby 'round these parts.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Taking a step back from the armchair scouting for a second and looking at this purely from a fan/entertainment perspective, to me this is the most exciting prospect we've had in years.

I don't watch hockey to see stay at home d-men blocking shots or great two-way Selke calibre defense, I watch it to see dynamic offensive players with blazing skating and elite hands burn by a D-man wide and roof it top corner. An element this team's lacked since Grabner imo.

Will be rooting hard for Shinkaruk and he'll be my favorite player when/if he makes it.

To be fair, Grabner rarely actually did that for our team (or actually given the chance to do that). AV didn't play him much due to his play in his own zone and most of the time didn't even play him at all in the 3rd (just like Cody *insert name here* and Cody's replacement). JS was probably the only rookie in recent memory that got a regular shift (virtually every game) in the 3rd when the game was close.

Also as far as what you want... not going to happen. Clearly the NHL is going back to the dead puck era... just look at the lack of PIM being called the last few years and for the most part, teams that win are the same team that play very tight defense and have a 2-way shutdown center on the team (or if they don't, they have Sid the Kid). At least that's the trend the last 5 years and i doubt that'll change anytime soon unless the Oilers somehow get a goalie and learn to play decent defense while still not having a shutdown center.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
To be fair, Grabner rarely actually did that for our team (or actually given the chance to do that). AV didn't play him much due to his play in his own zone and most of the time didn't even play him at all in the 3rd (just like Cody *insert name here* and Cody's replacement). JS was probably the only rookie in recent memory that got a regular shift (virtually every game) in the 3rd when the game was close.

Sure he didn't get a chance to score many in his short time here, but he did display some flashes and he was always a threat. See below as an example:

Also as far as what you want... not going to happen. Clearly the NHL is going back to the dead puck era... just look at the lack of PIM being called the last few years and for the most part, teams that win are the same team that play very tight defense and have a 2-way shutdown center on the team (or if they don't, they have Sid the Kid). At least that's the trend the last 5 years and i doubt that'll change anytime soon unless the Oilers somehow get a goalie and learn to play decent defense while still not having a shutdown center.

Yes, the league is moving away from this style, but if you ever watch say, Phil Kessel, you can see players like that are not extinct. Or Kane for a western conference example. Not saying Shinkaruk will be anywhere near as skilled as those guys, but similar playing styles hopefully.

cooker24

May 7, 2002
Visit site
Based on some highlight packages, I'm just excited about a player that looks like he can put the puck in the top of the net. Maybe he can run a skills session after practice for the current team.

Outside99*

I saw Shinkaruk against the Russians in the Subway series, at one point they were getting outclassed, he was one of the few that stood out. I like that - there's just too many teams in the CHL - gives the impression of a kid who can adapt and generate offence against stiffer or different competition or in a different setting.

Personally I feel gillis has not been "lucky" with his picks, this could be the home run year. Edit: reminds me a bit of that new west bruins kid who played for us a few years ago.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Why not Pavel Bure? :nod: :p:

34633546.jpg

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
His interview with Joey Kenward was great, sooooo excited.

Then I watched Horvat's, and fell asleep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad