Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft F Hunter Shinkaruk 24th Overall (1st Round)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I really appreciate your insight on Hunter, especially from a view outside of our fanbase. My personal opinion is that i dont care what people said about him personaly im just happy we picked up such a skilled player with some character, so sorry i didnt meen to imply he had issues just wanted to state my excitement at him being on our team. Thx for the post;)

re hunter...there are no personality/character issues at all. my only point was that upthread, there were comments that he was arrogant and i'd casually agreed with that (upthread)...but i never meant any comment i made to be taken in an overly serious sense.

you can never predict how a prospect will do and the projection/ceiling comments are just predictions. but imo hunter is the real deal - you are so lucky to get him/horvat in the same draft.

....while i don't want to be obnoxious and drag the Hawks into your prospect thread - i'll put it this way - when we drafted Teravainen @ 18 last year we couldn't believe we got such an elite skilled prospect that late - you should feel the same re Shinkaruk - i don't mean in a teravaine vs. shinkaruk sense - i mean, in the abstract, you should laugh that Shinkaruk was there waiting for you and figure that, at his worst, he likely perform to his draft position (but really, more likely, overachieve it)

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I don't recall Kane carrying his team through the playoffs. :naughty:

The fact Kane led his team in scoring with 19 points in 23 games says a lot about the Hawks' scoring this past postseason. David Krejci had 26 points on the other side; Horton and Lucic had 19 also. Crawford certainly should have won the Conn Smythe considering everyone on Chicago scored below a point-per-game pace.

In terms of swagger, Pavel used to really like chewing bubble gum during games. On his first NHL shift he was chewing gum.

14:21:

72318659_display_image.jpg

6844152.jpg

I think confidence can help a player if he can channel it properly. Confidence leads to creativity and courage to stand out from the rest of the group. This seems to be what allowed Shinkaruk to become the Tigers' captain.

lol, you know I was just joking, right? :laugh: Pavel is my favourite player of all-time. Pat Kane can't touch him. Please, stop posting pictures of Pavel chewing gum because it's reminding me of AV. :laugh: I hate AV.

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
With all the talk about Horvat and/or Gaunce making the team, anyone give Shinkaruk a shot? Unlike the other two, Hunter doesn't necessarily need the extra Jr season to develop offensively. Play him with Kesler and Booth/Kassian, or if Torts wants Kes to take harder defensive minutes, put together a kid line with Schroeder and Kassian.

Be a way to add some instant offence to the roster.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Richardson-Weise

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I love Bo Horvat to make the team but I just feel that Hunter has a better chance and is that dynamic player that could compliment Kesler. I'm not saying he is Kane but feels like a Toews/Kane combination.

Sedins Kassian
Shinkaruk Kesler Burrows

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
re hunter...there are no personality/character issues at all. my only point was that upthread, there were comments that he was arrogant and i'd casually agreed with that (upthread)...but i never meant any comment i made to be taken in an overly serious sense.

you can never predict how a prospect will do and the projection/ceiling comments are just predictions. but imo hunter is the real deal - you are so lucky to get him/horvat in the same draft.

....while i don't want to be obnoxious and drag the Hawks into your prospect thread - i'll put it this way - when we drafted Teravainen @ 18 last year we couldn't believe we got such an elite skilled prospect that late - you should feel the same re Shinkaruk - i don't mean in a teravaine vs. shinkaruk sense - i mean, in the abstract, you should laugh that Shinkaruk was there waiting for you and figure that, at his worst, he likely perform to his draft position (but really, more likely, overachieve it)
Man I was so furious you guys got Teravainen after Saad slid to you.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
With all the talk about Horvat and/or Gaunce making the team, anyone give Shinkaruk a shot? Unlike the other two, Hunter doesn't necessarily need the extra Jr season to develop offensively. Play him with Kesler and Booth/Kassian, or if Torts wants Kes to take harder defensive minutes, put together a kid line with Schroeder and Kassian.

Be a way to add some instant offence to the roster.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Richardson-Weise

It's an interesting thought. And i've said prior to the draft...Shinkaruk has the potential to make a 'Skinner-like' impact as a rookie right off the bat, despite not being all that physically developed.

I'm not completely sure that with the way this team is set up, that this would be an ideal opportunity for Shinkaruk to burst onto the scene like that...but who knows. I think he'll get a longer look than many seem to be expecting...but he will have to compete with and leapfrog Jensen as well as the more solidified 'NHLers' on the roster and potentially Horvat/Gaunce as well if they're looked at for wing spots...and Jensen does have the advantage of size and added development years (including one against men in Sweden). But Shinkaruk certainly has an edge in terms of pure dynamic scoring ability...so who knows?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I like to go back and read draft threads for perspective, and I just want to point out how hilarious it is to watch the dialogue go from "I hope this really good player falls to us!" To "Oh no he dropped really far, whaty's wrong with this player????" Hope to jubilation to paranoia with an hour.

Canucks fans are the most Henny Penny.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I'm not saying they will ever have half of the success that Chicago's duo has had but Hunter and Bo remind me of our own potential Toews and Kane. Those are huge shoes to fill of course but at least personality wise and playing style of Bo is alot like Toews and Hunter's personality and style is a lot like Kanes.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Once bitten, twice shy. Thankfully I think the similarity between the two players is only superficial.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Haha...that thread is pretty embarrassing.

That is why it's always good to have cautious optimism I guess :laugh:

To be fair to any jubilance in that thread, Schroeder's pre-draft production was pretty impressive and put him in some solid company. Going back to the mid '90s, of the guys to score at a higher pace than Schroeder in their 18 year old NCAA season, virtually all became very good NHLers:

Parise
Gionta
Heatley
Cammalleri
Vanek
Toews
Kessel
Jessiman

So the only real flop was Jessiman.

Unfortunately that 08-09 year in the NCAA is still Schroeder's high water mark.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It's funny to look back sometimes. I think this quote from that thread sums it up best though:

It's so weird not wanting to throw stuff at the TV after the Canucks make their first round pick.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's funny to look back sometimes. I think this quote from that thread sums it up best though:

I found these two to be especially pertinent given what transpired at the draft:

Get Luongo to agree in principle to an extension, move Schneider for an early 2nd round pick and draft Landon Ferraro. This guy's going to be an NHL player.

Is someone going to give us a better asset for Cory Schneider than Landon Ferraro? I'm not so sure.

and

I agree... I would hope that instead of moving him for a 2nd rounder, the Canucks can get a similar quality defense prospect. They have a glaring lack of depth on defense in the system.

Hopefully there's a 20-22 YO prospect dman with top 4 potential out there somewhere... that would be the type of return I'd like to see for Schneider

We seem to have gotten more...

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I finally got around to watching the Shinkaruk interviews (living in a tent for a week while playing the fiddle 10 hours per night accounts for the laziness :nod:)

Wow, I'm impressed with the guy. He's no Kessel at all. He's bright, quick-minded, and articulate. I don't see any downside to his personality. I'm confused as to where this narrative about cockiness came from. He's poised for his age, and clear about his goals. His smile is maybe too brilliant (his dad is a dentist for hockey teams) but that's not a character trait in itself. He seems to be congenially engaged in the conversation---reminding me of our dear departed Cory Schneider :(

However, I was a little bit shocked to see him side-on while donning the jersey. That boy is so skinny it's almost funny. Bo Horvat, though in tough as an interview, has a wide-body, squared-away frame that promises Ox-like strength for the next twenty years.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Oh...... Awkward......
That thread sure is interesting to read. Us poor Canucks fans. :laugh:

We weren't sure if Gillis was trolling us by taking one of the consensus picks in Cody Hodgson the year before. No more off the board garbage.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We weren't sure if Gillis was trolling us by taking one of the consensus picks in Cody Hodgson the year before. No more off the board garbage.

Which first rounder have we selected "off the board" when Gillis was in charge. Schroeder was most certainly the BPA, Hodgson was in his year and both Bo and Hunter were this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad