Post-Game Talk: Canucks @ Devils | OT loss. No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Virtanen had 1 hit that game.

It's not Virtanen is beating up the Devils out there.

I think it's fine to have a fight with Virtanen for being physical. I do not think it's okay to go and try to pretend like you are tough **** for beating up a teenager.

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. I doubt Jake cares.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
i must have been watching the Bizzaro Canucks, cuz I didn't see Farnham "beat up" anyone, he might have gotten 1-2 shots in on Virtanen but I didn't see anyone get beaten up. No KO, no blood, no nothing...just a sore finger from punching.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. I doubt Jake cares.

Pls.

The only reason I brought the whole thing up is because you said Prust's twitter response was pathetic.

But to be fair I'll submit, not really getting on a high horse for. I don't really care that much.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
i must have been watching the Bizzaro Canucks, cuz I didn't see Farnham "beat up" anyone, he might have gotten 1-2 shots in on Virtanen but I didn't see anyone get beaten up. No KO, no blood, no nothing...just a sore finger from punching.

He MAULED Virtanen all the while Burrows and his CRIMES cowered and ran.

What I've learned this evening from the main boards.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Some of you are being extremists for no reason.

Players agree to hard hits and cross checks and fights that may result in injury.
I'm sure no players consent to checks to the head, and in fact the NHL explicitly prohibits them.

"Body" checks that are almost instantaneously body and then head are going to be out of the game too it's only a matter of time. Player safety isn't going to go backwards.

There's a clear and obvious distinction between hits like today's and every other type of body check that happens in hockey.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It's all good that a big hitter lays out a vulnerable teenager in the head because he makes a lot of money and the hit was "clean" by the technical literature in the rule book !?!?
That's just nonsense, those rules were different just a few years ago.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Pls.

The only reason I brought the whole thing up is because you said Prust's twitter response was pathetic.

But to be fair I'll submit, not really getting on a high horse for. I don't really care that much.

What whaterthehell is his name is did was classless/pathetic. To go after him on Twitter was, in my opinion, pretty pathetic.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
It's all good that a big hitter lays out a vulnerable teenager in the head because he makes a lot of money and the hit was "clean" by the technical literature in the rule book !?!?
That's just nonsense, those rules were different just a few years ago.

it was a clean hit and I hope it remains a clean hit for all my days.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
except Jake is a 6"1 210 lbs power forward

Nope

He had dorsett to fight same age same weight and he goes for the kid.

Iam not defending anyone iam laughing at prust being called out for what is basically pretty lowly size or not.

I dont care either. Iam glad jake fought and mccann got rocked.

Trial by fire and we havnt lost by more than one goal. I want to tank and have the rookies get all the experience while being teenagers they can.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Some of you are being extremists for no reason.

Players agree to hard hits and cross checks and fights that may result in injury.
I'm sure no players consent to checks to the head, and in fact the NHL explicitly prohibits them.

"Body" checks that are almost instantaneously body and then head are going to be out of the game too it's only a matter of time. Player safety isn't going to go backwards.

There's a clear and obvious distinction between hits like today's and every other type of body check that happens in hockey.

You are refusing to acknowledge the argument that is being made, which is that your distinction between the two kinds of hits is not the kind of thing that you can cleanly separate.

The game is played at an exceptionally fast pace. These guys are making decisions and calculations in milliseconds. Very rarely is a player *trying* to hit someone in the head, and if they do, then absolutely, throw the book at them. No argument from me. But 99% of these so-called "dirty" hits are simply a miscalculation by the player attempting to throw a body check and being a few milliseconds off on his timing or a degree or two off on his angle and incidentally makes some contact to the head as a result. There is no way you can somehow legislate players not to do that without entirely removing hitting from the game.

It would be like baseball saying that a hit batsman is automatically a suspension or a fine to the pitcher. The result would be that pitchers never pitch inside, never pitch anywhere near the batter because being slightly off in your delivery could result in an accidental beanball. It would be absurd and everyone would hate the result. Obviously it would be nice if we could magically make hitters never get hit by a pitch but it's not possible as long as the pitcher is throwing 99 MPH with lateral movement at a target half a foot away. The same is true in hockey. Yes, if head hits could be removed that would be amazing, but it will never be gone as long as players are skating at high speeds and expected to smash into each other.

Usually the player getting hit in the head is crouching, has his head down, or is simply smaller than the player. How can you expect Chara to never, ever hit a player in the head. It's an absurd proposition really unless he never throws a hit.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The argument I saw made was that if there is no crushing hits that also cause major head trauma then It's women's hockey.
Which is absolutely absurd and offensive.

Your arguement I addressed earlier. Players don't hit now like Scott Stevens did, and nothing in the game of hockey changed.
Taking out hits like today's as much as possible wouldn't change anything.
For the last time there are thousands of hits that happen every season that are just fine.
Contact sport and head shots are not synonymous.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
The argument I saw made was that if there is no crushing hits that also cause major head trauma then It's women's hockey.
Which is absolutely absurd and offensive.

That is not the argument that was made and you know it.

The point is that in saying you never want to see hits like tonight's, you are implicitly advocating for no-contact hockey. Nobody said "women's hockey," they said "women's rules." This is, obviously, a shorthand for "a variant of ice hockey that does not allow body checking." It isn't any more offensive than referring to a specific variant of football as "Aussie Rules." Women's rules hockey is a different version of ice hockey most notable for its lack of physical play.

If you would prefer the NHL adopt women's rules that is perfectly fine. I would not judge at all; to each his own. But you seem to maintain that you do not want this.

Your arguement I addressed earlier. Players don't hit now like Scott Stevens did, and nothing in the game of hockey changed.
Taking out hits like today's as much as possible wouldn't change anything.
For the last time there are thousands of hits that happen every season that are just fine.
Contact sport and head shots are not synonymous.

You have completely ignored everything that I said.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Did Burrows comment on what he might have said anywhere?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Did Burrows comment on what he might have said anywhere?

Probably just said something about him being Native. Racism exists. I'm sure people call Burrows a frog and pea soup and other **** like that all the time.

I'm also sure it had nothing to do with his brother or family problems like so many on the main boards are claiming. If that were the case I'm pretty sure these so-called "shocked" timekeepers would have notified the refs and gotten Burrows kicked out of the game. They are technically league employees.

Nov 1, 2011
The outrage is kind of rediculous...Virts didn't even really lose the fight. 50/50.

The Larsson hit was bad because he went after a player in a vulnarable position who didn't even have the puck. You can't make that hit and have to let up there. And yes, if Chara is playing, he has to try not to hit guys in the head because that's how guys get hurt and how hockey loses its best players. It's a sport not a war.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I'm not going to go back and make a clip of it because I'm too lazy but he was definitely sitting in the box chirping virtanen after virtanen turned around and went to the dressing room for his hand.

Ya he said "That's for you" whatever that means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad