Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sharks - 6-5 (OT) (Joshua x2, Hoglander, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Pettersson)

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Just like Mariah Carey.

Come alive in December.

Vanish come January.
You used to be more optimistic! Heck, we all realize the shape we are in; but enjoy the little moments.. Otherwise, this board would be unreadable bud. That's 'all I want for xmas'...lol
1670483731200.png
;)

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
They had 4 SHOTS in the 3rd period against the Sharks.

Let that sink in.

Without the token end of the game powerplays in the last 2 games they lose in regulation in both.

This team is so close to being a bottom feeder but they're fooling some people into believing they can compete.

I tune in every game hoping to see an effort worthy of a win and I've only seen 2 or 3 all season.

They're not a good team.
Read these threads. They're not fooling anyone.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
OEL, Stillman, and Lazar are my main worries - besides the obvious net issues.

Fun, weird-ass hockey during this stretch. Enjoy the nutbar holiday hockey Nuck fans.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
The conundrum with Hughes is that he's just so elite at tilting the ice on the offensive side of things that you can't simply say "We can't win with a guy like this, we should sell". He's too good at what he does. Basically the Canucks need to find a true big money top pairing D, preferably RH, and because Hughes is also a big money D you have to use the Tampa model and find sneaky effective D's on the cheap to supplant the two big money guys. Schenn kind of is that with Hughes but Hughes is so weak defensively that clearly we need someone even better than Schenn.

I don't even know why I'm talking about this because it would take a miracle for the Canucks to even be in a position to rebuild the D like I described. Who is honestly going to take OEL?

Sigh.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
OEL is a buyout in the offseason. The whole "he's a fine top4" narrative is over.
They cannot buyout OEL.

His cap hit is 4+ in year 3 and 4 which are the last years before Hughes and Demko become UFAs, and before Miller enters the final three years of his deal (when he’s 34-36)

If you want to build a team to win a cup in the short term, it cannot involve buying out OEL.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Kind of interesting icetime distribution amongst the defencemen:

Hughes - 26:07
Bear - 20:32
Schenn - 19:03
Myers - 19:01
OEL - 17:41
Stillman - 17:36

For comparison, here's the Montreal game:

Hughes - 24:42
Bear - 19:59
Myers - 19:33
Schenn - 18:57
OEL - 18:47
Stillman - 16:27

And the Coyotes game:

Hughes- 30:05
Myers - 20:13
Stillman - 17:44
Schenn - 16:31
OEL - 14:54
Bear - 15:18

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
The conundrum with Hughes is that he's just so elite at tilting the ice on the offensive side of things that you can't simply say "We can't win with a guy like this, we should sell". He's too good at what he does. Basically the Canucks need to find a true big money top pairing D, preferably RH, and because Hughes is also a big money D you have to use the Tampa model and find sneaky effective D's on the cheap to supplant the two big money guys. Schenn kind of is that with Hughes but Hughes is so weak defensively that clearly we need someone even better than Schenn.

I don't even know why I'm talking about this because it would take a miracle for the Canucks to even be in a position to rebuild the D like I described. Who is honestly going to take OEL?

Sigh.
Keep the dream alive, since a buyout is pretty much zero cap next season…

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
They cannot buyout OEL.

His cap hit is 4+ in year 3 and 4 which are the last years before Hughes and Demko become UFAs, and before Miller enters the final three years of his deal.

If you want to build a team to win a cup in the short term, it cannot involve buying out OEL.
Inflation will hit by then

Reactions: B-rock

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Unironically, if you are not going to make the necessary moves to take a step back this season, they should consider making an upgrade move or two now while they’re .500

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

Sigh.
I believe we already have that big, skilled, minute munching, right shot tower in one Tyler Myers. At least, that's what we've been told, hectored, lectured about. Can't replace his skillset apparently.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Thats a fair comment, but they had some shit luck earlier in the season.

I think competition has helped more than luck. The teams played has fallen off a cliff since the Vegas game and if they face any semi component team playing like this they’re getting blown out like the WSH and Florida games.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Hughes - one of the main reasons we are so weak defensively. He can't handle size around his net. Should not be out on the PK. Looks like he did a couple of seasons ago when he fell apart in his end. The other negative that showed up once again in this game is his unwillingness to adjust his play to the situation. Canucks up 3 to 1 and time to stay solid defensively. But Hughes is up making risky plays and getting trapped. Rather than trying to settle things down he is playing helter skelter all over the ice. He is good enough to make nice little passes out of his end and dump the puck in when necessary. Instead he is forcing stretch passing or is rushing the puck deep in to the offensive end. This kind of players kill any chance to play good team defense. If you want a reason why we can't hold leads, you need look no further than Hughes.

He's basically Phil Housley.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Lolol this team mang. A W is a W.

Can we get like a journeyman goalie rental? even if we have to carry 3 for the rest of the season. This 2-3 weak af goals against per game is getting a little hard to watch.

EP coming up in OT is huge, he's been so bad at it the past 2 years. You need your top players to be great in OT, the PP, and shootouts. Points are never more on the table.

I like that Hogs is being allowed to make mistakes. High events all around, some good, some bad. Let him get rollin. Dare I say, he could be, a Miller lite......

JT looks hurt these past 2-3 games... He was skating back to form, then somewhere early in the homestand, just stopped. Standing still trying to make plays, vs his usual pushing the cycle, not wanting to drive the net etc. He's leaving the ice reallly early in his shifts, like half way, even if there's a potential rush. Dude has laid a lot of big hits recently, so might be something there.

Joshua looked like Bertuzzi wtf, 7 goals already wow.

Maybe Kuzmenkos best game. Mikeyhev too, Russians looked real gud. Maybe Podz can come back with a vengeance and complete the trifecta.

EP and Hughes can quit trading the Space Jam ball every offseason any year now.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I think competition has helped more than luck. The teams played has fallen off a cliff since the Vegas game and if they face any semi component team playing like this they’re getting blown out like the WSH and Florida games.
I think POM is right.

On the whole, I think the team is roughly where they deserve to be in terms of process/paper roster/stupid coaching.

Were not as bad as that 0-7 start, clearly not as good as this fraudulent 8-3.

+2/3 in that early stretch and -2/3 in the recent one.

Our goaltending has not been good,
but the team defense has been far worse than the goaltending. Additionally, opposing goalies have been worse against us than ours have been against them.

——

Anyways, this team needs to keep streaking now. Lots of games against teams competing for wild card spots the rest of this month, and the January schedule looks like hell.

It’ll be pretty important they build themselves noticeably above .500 here.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think POM is right.

On the whole, I think the team is roughly where they deserve to be in terms of process/paper roster/stupid coaching.

Were not as bad as that 0-7 start, clearly not as good as this fraudulent 8-3.

+2/3 in that early stretch and -2/3 in the recent one.

Our goaltending has not been good,
but the team defense has been far worse than the goaltending. Additionally, opposing goalies have been worse against us than ours have been against them.

——

Anyways, this team needs to keep streaking now. Lots of games against teams competing for wild card spots the rest of this month, and the January schedule looks like hell.

It’ll be pretty important they build themselves noticeably above .500 here.

Yep.

We are right around where I figured we would be, before the season started.

Just took the scenic route to get there.

edit. Also I figured we would be ahead of the Kings & Seattle and behind St Louis and Preds.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad