Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sharks - 6-5 (OT) (Joshua x2, Hoglander, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Pettersson)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks are like the 'Harlem Globetrotters' on offense; but on on defense, they're the 'Washington Generals'.

I mean if there's as bad a team in its own zone anywhere in the league, it's a mystery to me. At times they're so bad, it's comical. OEL picked up two assists but was an absolute tire-fire in his own zone. I mean getting stripped by Gadjovich and not being able to get back....does it get any worse than that?

They blew 3-1 and 4-3 leads but still found a way to win in OT. Imagine giving up 11 goals in two games, yet still picking up four points. It's entertaining as hell, but can you really expect to ever make the playoffs when you play that way?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
The Canucks are like the 'Harlem Globetrotters' on offense; but on on defense, they're the 'Washington Generals'.

I mean if there's as bad a team in its own zone anywhere in the league, it's a mystery to me. At times they're so bad, it's comical. OEL picked up two assists but was an absolute tire-fire in his own zone. I mean getting stripped by Gadjovich and not being able to get back....does it get any worse than that?

They blew 3-1 and 4-3 leads but still found a way to win in OT. Imagine giving up 11 goals in two games, yet still picking up four points. It's entertaining as hell, but can you really expect to ever make the playoffs when you play that way?

No it’s great and you aren’t a real fan unless you think it’s awesome we are barely beating bottom feeders.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Attachments

• sloppy joes.gif
    sloppy joes.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
OEL is a buyout in the offseason. The whole "he's a fine top4" narrative is over.
Bear has held him up a bit but Bear wasn’t good tonight so OEL was even worse.

OEL Myers Stillman are actually unplayable. Pure liabilities.

Reactions: B-rock

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
The NHL is different this year, look at he scoreboard around the league. High scoring, high octane hockey in which no lead is actually safe.
True to a point...but the Canucks' goaltending and defence is much worse than the average. As a team they're third worst in GA/GP.

Reactions: Indiana

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Annoying that Bruce took so long to put Petey and Kuz back together. Mikeyev was playing good. The whole top line should have assembled

JT Miller should be absolutely pissed off for getting benched and disrespected like that by the franchise. He needs to demand a trade immediately and get off this team.
For one OT benching ? He was probably gonna be in the shootout

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
They had 4 SHOTS in the 3rd period against the Sharks.

Let that sink in.

Without the token end of the game powerplays in the last 2 games they lose in regulation in both.

This team is so close to being a bottom feeder but they're fooling some people into believing they can compete.

I tune in every game hoping to see an effort worthy of a win and I've only seen 2 or 3 all season.

They're not a good team.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
They had 4 SHOTS in the 3rd period against the Sharks.

Let that sink in.

Without the token end of the game powerplays in the last 2 games they lose in regulation in both.

This team is so close to being a bottom feeder but they're fooling some people into believing they can compete.

I tune in every game hoping to see an effort worthy of a win and I've only seen 2 or 3 all season.

They're not a good team.
We are 4th in the league for goals for.

We just have no defensive structure at all.

Reactions: bh53 and Indiana

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
LOL.

I mean, this is the most entertaining team in the league. It’s absurd hockey but every game is freaking nuts. By far the league leaders in total goals/game (GF+GA).
Actually, Buffalo is the leader.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Constantly a matter whether the offense can score enough to overcome our immense defensive problems. Kind of fun hockey but its amazing how poorly we play with a lead.

Good

Petterson- thought he didn't look on top of his game for much of the first part of the game but late went into God-like mode and thoroughly led the team to victory.

Joshua - too bad on the call but he starting to emerge offensively. Probably hasn't scored a goal more than 5 feet from the net but you need players that can get to the crease and bang those kind home. HIs puck management and his board play continue to be good. Line did well although you like to have Lazar and Aman show at least some touch around the net

Kuzmenko - can make the big plays at the right time. Type of player that if you give him space and he will burn you. Very cool under pressure.

Bad

Miller - so many brain dead plays. Late we are on the PP and Shark player breaks his stick. Miller rather than pulling back and setting something up forces a pass and puck gets clear. Did the same thing all game. Beyond that weak on the back check and little second effort anywhere on the ice. Bad sign looking ahead is he already looks old too often. He is a factor in the lack of organization in team play.

Hughes - one of the main reasons we are so weak defensively. He can't handle size around his net. Should not be out on the PK. Looks like he did a couple of seasons ago when he fell apart in his end. The other negative that showed up once again in this game is his unwillingness to adjust his play to the situation. Canucks up 3 to 1 and time to stay solid defensively. But Hughes is up making risky plays and getting trapped. Rather than trying to settle things down he is playing helter skelter all over the ice. He is good enough to make nice little passes out of his end and dump the puck in when necessary. Instead he is forcing stretch passing or is rushing the puck deep in to the offensive end. This kind of players kill any chance to play good team defense. If you want a reason why we can't hold leads, you need look no further than Hughes.

Skillman - just isn't good enough. Tries to take players at the blue line and they blow by him. So he backs off and lets the other team come into the ozone with speed. Yet even when he backs off he can't recover quick enough to get back to his net to establish inside position. Maybe an uptick in that he is at least trying to tie people up around the net but even when he tries he often fails. Continues to let people roll off him along the boards and go to the net. Then he starts reaching and ends up taking penalties.

Hope Wolanin gets a look and Stillman is back to the PB.

Others

Hoglander - showed off his quick accurate shot in this game. Is starting to put together a decent season.

Horvat - outstanding play in OT to keep us in the game but overall a ho hum game. Still picking up points however.

Boeser - not getting much done but is skating better. However think Kuzmenko should be back Pettersson. Note: Boeser deserves credit for breaking up that lay in the slot late in the game. Maybe the best play he has made all season.

Martin - poor third marred otherwise good game. Big in OT.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad