Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sharks - 6-5 (OT) (Joshua x2, Hoglander, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Pettersson)

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I've lost track of the posters comparing Joshua to Bertuzzi which is hilarious when you consider that what made Joshua look so good was the fact that the Sharks started a terrible goalie who we destroyed a week ago and tonight played two periods of .789 hockey and, after realizing he was indeed terrible replaced him with a GOALIE WHO HAD NEVER PLAYED ONE MINUTE IN THE NHL who then put in a .750 performance. You can't make this stuff up folks. Also I have noticed a distinct lack of whining about the refs here, perhaps because we have gotten almost every call/non call they needed to win (Petey's non call in OT the other night, Lazar somehow not getting an interference penalty against Gajovich when he yanked on his arm to make him offside). This will not last. The hockey gods are merely toying with us; when the hammer comes down it could be very messy...

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I've lost track of the posters comparing Joshua to Bertuzzi which is hilarious when you consider that what made Joshua look so good was the fact that the Sharks started a terrible goalie who we destroyed a week ago and tonight played two periods of .789 hockey and, after realizing he was indeed terrible replaced him with a GOALIE WHO HAD NEVER PLAYED ONE MINUTE IN THE NHL who then put in a .750 performance. You can't make this stuff up folks. Also I have noticed a distinct lack of whining about the refs here, perhaps because we have gotten almost every call/non call they needed to win (Petey's non call in OT the other night, Lazar somehow not getting an interference penalty against Gajovich when he yanked on his arm to make him offside). This will not last. The hockey gods are merely toying with us; when the hammer comes down it could be very messy...
Thank God you're here to fill in for that terrible lack of whining!

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Dickinsons contract is off the books in 2 years. Paying to dump him is win now.

It clearly has two purposes the first was actually to help next season, and the second was for this year. It can be both, and it is for both. Even if you really wanted to have that win, that is a small one out of the four you brought up.

Win a cup in 2 years? Really?

Have a chance to compete.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It clearly has two purposes the first was actually to help next season, and the second was for this year. It can be both, and it is for both. Even if you really wanted to have that win, that is a small one out of the four you brought up.

Explain. How is it primarily for next season?

Have a chance to compete.
To compete for a wild card spot?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I'm not trying to "have a win", I'm trying to untangle how there could possibly be any interpretation of the moves to date other than "win immediately" and I don't see anything.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jason Dickinson could have been bought out next summer and the 2023-24 cap hit would have been $483,000.

When you consider that along with Stillman making 1.35 to perform at a level you probably get out of a 800k-900k player, it's really hard to argue that this trade had much to do with 2023-24.

It's also not about real money - they maximized cap space which helped them acquire Bear soon after, which was a deal that they had admittedly trying to make work financially for months.

Don't believe everything Sat says.

Reactions: Vector

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Look up. If the burry him it saves the full cap hit. I would argue that it is now to sign Kuze instead.
It was to fit Bear in.

Im starting to think you are not all that aware of the goings on of the team... that explains your position.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It was to fit Bear in.

Im starting to think you are not all that aware of the goings on of the team... that explains your position.

I never said it didn't help fit Bear in. You make so many leaps in logic where people say something and you interpret that as something. Its half of this conversation. My quote was it wasn't primarily for this season. What is failed to be mentioned is a buyout would also be more years of a cap penalty.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I never said it didn't help fit Bear in. You make so many leaps in logic where people say something and you interpret that as something. Its half of this conversation. My quote was it wasn't primarily for this season. What is failed to be mentioned is a buyout would also be more years of a cap penalty.
I disagree.

The trade was made to
1. be cap compliant because they put them selves in troube with the Mikheyev signing

2. to fit in Ethan Bears contract.

It had zero to do wit Kuzmenko.

If they bury him they save more but that would mean paying more in actual money.

So 3. to save Aqua money.

Your arguments for kicking the can down the road are so full of wishful thinking and leaps in logic. I would not be blaming anyone for leaps in logic in your position. You are trying to wish a retool in to existance because you fear an actual rebuild.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How a team can cough up 11 goals in two games, and still win twice, has to be Guinness Book of Records material.

Just as inexplicably, the Canucks find themselves two points out of a wildcard spot, despite going 0-7 to start the season. You can't make this stuff up.

The downside is that this spring, if the Canucks are still in the playoff mix, what do they do about Horvat? Trading him would be a signal that you're running up the white flag on the season. But keeping him, and you risk losing him for nothing as a UFA.

If the Canucks braintrust is legitimately building for the future--then Horvat, Boeser and maybe even Garland have to go. And picks/[prospects need to be coming back. Horvat is an impending UFA, but is the most valuable of the bunch at the TDL for a playoff bound team.

Boeser and Garland have crippling contracts, so you can't expect too much for them. But they're going to need all that cap room and more to re-sign Petey and Kuzmenko.

My suspicion is that the owner will meddle once again....if there's any hope of a playoff spot and the resulting revenue from home dates in the post-season...and the long-term results won't be good.

Reactions: quat and MarkMM

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I disagree.

The trade was made to
1. be cap compliant because they put them selves in troube with the Mikheyev signing

If they bury him they save more but that would mean paying more in actual money.

Your arguments for kicking the can down the road are so full of wishful thinking and leaps in logic. I would not be blaming anyone for leaps in logic in your position. You are trying to wish a retool in to existance because you fear an actual rebuild.
Speaking of Bear, at least going forward, I wonder what his next deal looks like. They shouldn’t be paying him more than what a #5 goes for in todays market.

Also wonder what good player development can do with Bear. Like maybe you can sign him to a three year deal at bottom pair money and then coach him to mitigate his issues

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Never understood the Joshua hate, feel like people were way too hard on him compared to most 4th liners. I was disappointed that he wasn't more of a wrecking ball early o, but also surprised by his hockey sense and ability to make plays. He's the only on that line who actually makes something happen offensively. Lazar and Aman are good at covering the ice and being on the right side of the puck, but once they get a cycle going, nothing comes out of it(which is fine but it's nice to be able to create chances).

I'd like to see Joshua as a mainstay on PP2 as a net front guy.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
How a team can cough up 11 goals in two games, and still win twice, has to be Guinness Book of Records material.

Just as inexplicably, the Canucks find themselves two points out of a wildcard spot, despite going 0-7 to start the season. You can't make this stuff up.

The downside is that this spring, if the Canucks are still in the playoff mix, what do they do about Horvat? Trading him would be a signal that you're running up the white flag on the season. But keeping him, and you risk losing him for nothing as a UFA.

If the Canucks braintrust is legitimately building for the future--then Horvat, Boeser and maybe even Garland have to go. And picks/[prospects need to be coming back. Horvat is an impending UFA, but is the most valuable of the bunch at the TDL for a playoff bound team.

Boeser and Garland have crippling contracts, so you can't expect too much for them. But they're going to need all that cap room and more to re-sign Petey and Kuzmenko.

My suspicion is that the owner will meddle once again....if there's any hope of a playoff spot and the resulting revenue from home dates in the post-season...and the long-term results won't be good.
Whats more disconcerting is that they've barely beaten 'tanking' teams in their last 3 games...whilst allowing 11 goals in the last two games.

They look on course to get legitimately mauled against established playoff teams.

Reactions: Peen

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Whats more disconcerting is that they've barely beaten 'tanking' teams in their last 3 games...whilst allowing 11 goals in the last two games.

They look on course to get legitimately mauled against established playoff teams.
I think this is what this team is, if Demko gets back and playing at or near his usual level, this team should be able to handle SJS/ARI/MTL more easily but still get outclassed by the legit teams

Reactions: Peen

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I disagree.

The trade was made to

I think you have it backwards. I don't fear a rebuild and think there is a very good chance this leads to one in two years. Its you who fears a retool and can't take it that this is the direction management has decided and now any move that isn't a rebuild move must be bad.

Reactions: MS and sting101

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think you have it backwards. I don't fear a rebuild and think there is a very good chance this leads to one in two years. Its you who fears a retool and can't take it that this is the direction management has decided and now any move that isn't a rebuild move must be bad.
You sound exactly like Benning defenders.

Still zero actual points on why what ever this is they are doing is a good idea. Zero.

I think you somehow view rebuilding as a completely luck based endeavour and that the situation you start your rebuild doesn't matter...?

Maybe that's it?

Im at this point grasping at straws here trying my hardest to understand what the logic is you are using...

edit. Have you thought about this. There are two ways you can go about a rebuild. Reactive and proactive.

Speaking of Bear, at least going forward, I wonder what his next deal looks like. They shouldn’t be paying him more than what a #5 goes for in todays market.

Also wonder what good player development can do with Bear. Like maybe you can sign him to a three year deal at bottom pair money and then coach him to mitigate his issues
He has arbitration rights.

I think he is up for a pretty big raise.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad