Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sharks - 5-4 (OT) (Brock Boeser, Hughes, Lammikko, Garland, Miller)

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
No, this team is built for a deep playoff run. They're over the awful start to the year. They remind of the 2019 Blues.

Let's do this!!!
How do they remind you of those Blues? That was a big physical team that played on the edge, the kind of team that benefits from a looser playoff whistle. Bruins fans thought the Blues were dirty out of all fanbases, you know you have a team that plays on the edge when you have the Bruins complaining about physicality.

Is this Canucks team fast? Physical? Deep? No

Good luck in the playoffs

Reactions: B-rock

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sloppy road game but I have a hard time being critical of the 2 points. The Canucks led almost the entire game partly (mostly?) due to some favourable bounces. San Jose never led. This wasn't a game where we Demkoed the Sharks. Special teams did almost cost the Canucks another game though.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The Blues, don't forget had a LOT of skill too. They weren't just a team of Maroons like everyone likes to push.
For sure they had skill and depth, but they had an identity and played to their strengths.

What’s the Canucks strength? Having Demko, Hughes and Miller carry them? This team isn’t skilled, smart, fast, physical or deep enough.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
The Blues, don't forget had a LOT of skill too. They weren't just a team of Maroons like everyone likes to push.
Skill? You really wanna talk skill? :huh::huh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This team is LOADED with skill.

And yes obviously they don't play the same style as the Blues. I was referring to the obvious building of momentum during the second half of the season. Buckle up folks we're in for a hell of a ride!

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Skill? You really wanna talk skill? :huh::huh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This team is LOADED with skill.

And yes obviously they don't play the same style as the Blues. I was referring to the obvious building of momentum during the second half of the season. Buckle up folks we're in for a hell of a ride!

Yes, I can really see that skill come through in the actual games being played. We're also incredibly fast. Canucks #1 best team in NHL. Anyone else lies.

I'm fine with your optimism, but let's not be blind about it.

Reactions: racerjoe

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sloppy road game but I have a hard time being critical of the 2 points. The Canucks led almost the entire game partly (mostly?) due to some favourable bounces. San Jose never led. This wasn't a game where we Demkoed the Sharks. Special teams did almost cost the Canucks another game though.

We played a very good first period (with some lucky bounces) and then an absolutely miserable last 40 minutes against a bad team.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The Canucks probably won't make the playoffs, but IF they do, they will be going in hot. Simply the level they need to play at just to make the playoffs means they will have been one of the best teams in the league over the 2nd half. Add in Demko, and it's not farfetched to predict they go on a run.

Much more farfetched to predict they actually make the playoffs, than to say if they do they will be a tough out.

As for last night's game, 1st period they looked dominant against a poor team, then apparently they Gabe their skates and jerseys to random fans and then went to the beach or something. Definitely didn't look like a team that will be capable of stringing together the results needed to get over the playoff bar.

EP had one of his best games. Good to see him dictating play a bit. Motte's line was solid. Rest of the forwards were pretty meh after the first period.

Dmen had ups and downs. On a stretch where we have been getting a lot of production from the blueline, which is great to see.

Two soft goals against Demko, especially the 4th. 1st goal was just bad luck. Positive from this game is 2 points when Demko gave up 4.

Special teams need to get better right now. No way we make the playoffs with the way our STs have looked lately.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Canucks probably won't make the playoffs, but IF they do, they will be going in hot. Simply the level they need to play at just to make the playoffs means they will have been one of the best teams in the league over the 2nd half. Add in Demko, and it's not farfetched to predict they go on a run.

Much more farfetched to predict they actually make the playoffs, than to say if they do they will be a tough out.

As for last night's game, 1st period they looked dominant against a poor team, then apparently they Gabe their skates and jerseys to random fans and then went to the beach or something. Definitely didn't look like a team that will be capable of stringing together the results needed to get over the playoff bar.

EP had one of his best games. Good to see him dictating play a bit. Motte's line was solid. Rest of the forwards were pretty meh after the first period.

Dmen had ups and downs. On a stretch where we have been getting a lot of production from the blueline, which is great to see.

Two soft goals against Demko, especially the 4th. 1st goal was just bad luck. Positive from this game is 2 points when Demko gave up 4.

Special teams need to get better right now. No way we make the playoffs with the way our STs have looked lately.
Agreed on Demko..Any team that would be a playoff opponent for the Canucks would not feel smug having the second best goalie in the series..
Markstrom,I could see giving Demko a run for his money.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Why? Is getting one more secondary asset worth sinking the season? He is so much better than any other forward on this team. If team sucks and he shows no inkling to sign then yeh trade him. But know unless you are getting future top liner it is a trade you are going to lose. If you can sign him you trade Boeser, Horvat, Myers, Pearson, Hammer, Dickinson, Poolman. Basically you trade anyone and everyone other than Hughes, EP and Demko to make it work.

My post was if you can’t get that commitment to a decent number at this point or you aren’t sure you can. His value is higher this deadline than the summer (or next deadline). And the position this team is in,well, yes another asset is a big deal. They can’t be leaving things on the table.

in the last 10 games they have:

-gained 2 on the ducks, kings and Preds
-gained 1 point on the Jets, Vegas
-lost 2 on the Stars
- lost 3 on the Oilers
-lost 6 on the flames

Once you add in games in hand at the season point percentages the Canucks remain 6-7 points out of a playoff spot. When Green was fired I believe they were 9 points out of a playoff spot.

They’ve made up 3 points in 25 games on that playoff spot. They still need to leapfrog 4 teams.

Sure playoffs are possible but it will be sneaking in at best just to get thumped. And sure Cinderella runs can occur but the odds are against it. Playoff odds stand at 10-15% depending on the model and making it through a round about 5%.

Those aren’t not odds you bet on when an organization is also in desperate need of clearing cap space and recouping young assets. Those are odds you desperately cling to if you are a GM looking to save his job though. This management team has no such pressures. Their pressure is 4 years from now and to give them the best chance at having jobs in years 5+ they need to start setting the table now.

Reactions: Flik

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the playoffs are just an idea at this stage and the team should not be making or not making any moves based on that idea. if they win a few in a row that could change, but for now the team should be managed for the future unless and until the team demonstrates this season can be saved.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose it represents 'progress', when the talk shows are flooded with fans complaining about 'an actual win'. Let's face it. At the start of this season the last two games against the Leafs and Sharks would be 'guaranteed losses' the way the games played out in the second and third periods.

I really think a big part of the Canucks problems right now, have been the long gaps between games. You can practice all you want, but you can't replicate game action. Canucks need to get on a roll, and playing games every second or third night would help a lot.

But that problem will soon be resolved. Canucks have 32 games remaining compacted into a little over a month. Hope Demko can stand up to the hail of rubber he'll be facing.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
With a performance like that, I don't see how the Canucks don't win the cup.
Just gotta make the playoffs and anything can happen

image.jpg

Reactions: quat and 4Twenty

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm beginning to wonder if Horvat is playing through some sort of injury.....On the tying goal in the last second, he face-planted at his own blueline with nobody near him. If he could have stayed upright and just extended his stick, that goal probably never happens.

Regardless of what's going on, this is one of his worst stretches of games since his rookie season.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm beginning to wonder if Horvat is playing through some sort of injury.....On the tying goal in the last second, he face-planted at his own blueline with nobody near him. If he could have stayed upright and just extended his stick, that goal probably never happens.

Regardless of what's going on, this is one of his worst stretches of games since his rookie season.

As much as some posters here love to rip him to shreds, if Bo is out, that's pretty much it for the season. Who's replacing the minutes he plays? He could be playing injured because he doesn't want to let the team down or something to that end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad